Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your pick.
Houston 60 52.17%
Minneapolis 55 47.83%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 06:07 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times

Advertisements

^ The art scene there seems to be really hyped, so i gave it the advantage i guess. haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 06:13 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
^ The art scene there seems to be really hyped, so i gave it the advantage i guess. haha
List of most visited art museums in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Houston ranks 7th in the country. non in Minneapolis makes the cut

Old 09-05-2011, 07:07 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,063,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
List of most visited art museums in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Houston ranks 7th in the country. non in Minneapolis makes the cut
It (the MIA) obviously should have made the cut, but what can you expect from Wikipedia, right?

The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston (MFAH)
Visitors: 1,034,164
Collection: ~64,000

The Minneapolis Institute of Arts (MIA)
Visitors: 553,576
Collection: ~80,000

Sources: The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston (MFAH) 2009 - 10 Annual Report and the Minneapolis Institute of Arts (MIA) 2009 - 10 Annual Report

Last edited by BlackOut; 09-05-2011 at 07:20 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 07:15 PM

413 posts, read 789,725 times
The Walker Art Center in Minneapolis is one of the Big 5 Modern Art Museums in the Country (along with SF MOMA, NY MOMA, The Hirshorn in D.C. and the Guggenheim.

I could be mistaken because I'm no expert on Houston, but I don't think that Houston has any museums that are that prestigious or nationally recognized.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bowen View Post
The Walker Art Center in Minneapolis is one of the Big 5 Modern Art Museums in the Country (along with SF MOMA, NY MOMA, The Hirshorn in D.C. and the Guggenheim.

I could be mistaken because I'm no expert on Houston, but I don't think that Houston has any museums that are that prestigious or nationally recognized.
I agree you are not an expert.

The natural Science museum here is the second most visited non smithsonian museum in the US.

The Museum of Fine Art is the 7th most visited museum in the US.

The Childrens Museum is the first or second most visited childrens museum in the US, can't remember which it is.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
it is a city data thing. Houston isn't hated on in the real world as much. Just a bunch on losers on here who have never been here but go off of stupid stereotypes they have heard.
That's true of most cities that are discussed on here, though. It's hardly unique to Houston. The real reason people don't like Houston on here is that the majority of members of this forum are urbanists. They like dense urban areas. Many of them hate sprawl and suburbia, and love public transit. I know I do.

If that is your mindset and your criteria, you will always pick Seattle, or Minneapolis or Chicago, or NYC, or Denver, or Portland, or San Francisco, or Boston over Houston.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I agree you are not an expert.

The natural Science museum here is the second most visited non smithsonian museum in the US.

The Museum of Fine Art is the 7th most visited museum in the US.

The Childrens Museum is the first or second most visited childrens museum in the US, can't remember which it is.
You keep on talking about how visited they are all you want. That doesn't prove that Houston is better in arts and culture given that Houston's metro area is nearly three times the size of the Twin Cities metro area.

Here's a better metric: annual museum attendance/metro area population

In other words, what percentage of metro area residents attended the museum last year. If Houston's numbers for that are higher, then I will gladly concede that Houston is superior in terms of arts and culture.

But just saying Houston's better because it's attendance figures are higher is silly.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:

If that is your mindset and your criteria, you will always pick Seattle, or Minneapolis or Chicago, or NYC, or Denver, or Portland, or San Francisco, or Boston over Houston.
exactly why people should not put stock in these polls. The suburban lifestyle is still the most popular in the US. Of course a website like this one will have more people preferring more urban development, so that is exactly why polls on here don't match reality.

that is why out in the real world more people would favor Houston over MSP.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
exactly why people should not put stock in these polls. The suburban lifestyle is still the most popular in the US. Of course a website like this one will have more people preferring more urban development, so that is exactly why polls on here don't match reality.

that is why out in the real world more people would favor Houston over MSP.
Because what's popular is always right!

Old 09-05-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
You keep on talking about how visited they are all you want. That doesn't prove that Houston is better in arts and culture given that Houston's metro area is nearly three times the size of the Twin Cities metro area.

Here's a better metric: annual museum attendance/metro area population

In other words, what percentage of metro area residents attended the museum last year. If Houston's numbers for that are higher, then I will gladly concede that Houston is superior in terms of arts and culture.

But just saying Houston's better because it's attendance figures are higher is silly.
annual museum attendance divide by metro pop?? you must be kidding me. that would make places Butte Montana have higher ranking Museums than Boston and DC.

Houston's have better Museums, Theater Companies, Dance Companies, Symphonies and Orchestras etc than MSP.

Houston's companies have won Grammy's Tony's, Emmy's so you can divide arbitrarily and say stupid things like land area all you want, but Houston has award winning arts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City