Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whats your choice?
DC 44 50.00%
Atlanta 27 30.68%
Miami 23 26.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:02 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Atlanta has better topography? The DC area has mountains, the Chesapeak bay, rivers, and is near the ocean. Atlanta is land locked. No Ocean or Bay.
Atlanta's hills in the city are more dramatic and the Blue Ridge mountain range a short distance away are breathtaking. DC's topography is better than Miami's but its still not like Atlanta IMO. By topography I'm implying hills and mountains not bodies of water, which is coastline more than topography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 09:54 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,295 times
- Scenery-It's a draw between Miami and DC. Miami has the beaches, the bay, and Art Deco architecture. DC has the National Mall, Arlington Cemetery, the monuments, and the Potomac River.
- Schools-I'd probably say DC all the way.
- Dining-They are all probably evenly matched.
- Arts-Probably DC
- Museums-DC of course
- Transit-DC hands down
- Safety-DC, at least near the touristy areas.
- Best suburbs-DC, I'm pretty fond of Alexandria. Atlanta has a few nice suburbs but the fact that they aren't connected via rail transit counts against them.
- Beaches-Do I really have to answer this one?
- Nightlife-I think all three are pretty evenly matched but I have to give it to Miami just for South Beach. It's a world-renowned destination for partying.
- Pro Sports-Three way tie. DC wins in NFL and NHL, Atl wins in MLB and college football(might as well be pro), Miami wins in NBA. Miami hosts the Super Bowl quite often so that may give it an edge overall.
- Urban neighborhoods-DC. Georgetown and Adams-Morgan are just the couple I've been to. Everything is walkable.
- Shopping-ehhh, I'm not much of a shopper. Miami seems to be more renowned than the others.
- Jobs-DC is doing better now than just about any other city out there when it comes to jobs.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:55 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
- - Nightlife-I think all three are pretty evenly matched but I have to give it to Miami just for South Beach. It's a world-renowned destination for partying.
- Pro Sports-Three way tie. DC wins in NFL and NHL, Atl wins in MLB and college football(might as well be pro), Miami wins in NBA. Miami hosts the Super Bowl quite often so that may give it an edge overall.
I would not call the nighlife evenly matched. You said it yourself South Beach is world famous. No one in the world goes to ATL or DC for the nighlife.

ATL has good college football yes, but if you want to see future NFL stars thats at the University of Miami. Even when they dont have a good season they still have pro players on their team every year.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:06 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I would not call the nighlife evenly matched. You said it yourself South Beach is world famous. No one in the world goes to ATL or DC for the nighlife.

ATL has good college football yes, but if you want to see future NFL stars thats at the University of Miami. Even when they dont have a good season they still have pro players on their team every year.
ATL draws people for it's nightlife. Particularly black folks.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:08 PM

650 posts, read 1,629,358 times
Quote:
- Scenery-It's a draw between Miami and DC. Miami has the beaches, the bay, and Art Deco architecture. DC has the National Mall, Arlington Cemetery, the monuments, and the Potomac River.
- Schools-I'd probably say DC all the way.
- Dining-They are all probably evenly matched.
- Arts-Probably DC
- Museums-DC of course
- Transit-DC hands down
- Safety-DC, at least near the touristy areas.
- Best suburbs-DC, I'm pretty fond of Alexandria. Atlanta has a few nice suburbs but the fact that they aren't connected via rail transit counts against them.
- Beaches-Do I really have to answer this one?
- Nightlife-I think all three are pretty evenly matched but I have to give it to Miami just for South Beach. It's a world-renowned destination for partying.
- Urban neighborhoods-DC. Georgetown and Adams-Morgan are just the couple I've been to. Everything is walkable.
- Shopping-ehhh, I'm not much of a shopper. Miami seems to be more renowned than the others.
- Jobs-DC is doing better now than just about any other city out there when it comes to jobs.
Hate aside, Miami wins this one hands down. ATL and DC being evenly matched with Miami is absurd.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:21 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
Hate aside, Miami wins this one hands down. ATL and DC being evenly matched with Miami is absurd.
I'd argue Atlanta and DC have stronger and more varied live music scenes and that counts as nightlife in my book.

Atlanta is sort of the unofficial capital of the SEC as long as it retains the SEC championship. Georgia Tech, UGA, Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina, Clemson, and Tennessee are all easy to get to from Atlanta.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:24 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,106 times
Quote:
I'd argue Atlanta and DC have stronger and more varied live music scenes and that counts as nightlife in my book.

Atlanta is sort of the unofficial capital of the SEC as long as it retains the SEC championship. Georgia Tech, UGA, Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina, Clemson, and Tennessee are all easy to get to from Atlanta.
This is true. Try being a metalhead like me in Miami, or just someone who enjoys alternative, indie or rock music. There is NO rock scene there at all, apart from a couple of ok-ish local bands (Venejer being one of them).

Club wise though, only NYC and LA rival Miami in the US. Just take plenty of $$ with you as it's not cheap.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:29 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,104 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I don't think DC automatically wins in Nightlife, Shopping, Professional Sports, Dining, or Safety.
for safety in terms of murders its Atlanta<Miami<DC

Old 10-10-2011, 09:35 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
ATL draws people for it's nightlife. Particularly black folks.
No one in Europe or South America is going to Atlanta to enjoy its nightlife.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:59 AM

932 posts, read 1,177,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
for safety in terms of murders its Atlanta<Miami<DC
The funny part is (and a common misconception) that most of Miami-Dade county is extremely safe, aside from the "bad" parts. In 6 years of living there, I witnessed not one crime and aside from the drivers, no one messed with me at all. The same cannot be said for many other US cities, including Philadelphia, where I just lived for a short time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City