Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city overall meets our criteria?
Denver is better: 131 65.17%
Sacramento is better: 70 34.83%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:52 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Why all the Sac sports hate? LOL.

When I lived in Sacramento I know that lots of people traveled to the Bay Area for sporting events all the time. Its really not far at all(farther than Denver to its teams of course, but anywhere within 100 miles within SF is close enough imHo. When the Giants won the world series, Sac went crazy. Bay Area teams are covered as if they were local teams by the Sacramento media(except for the Warriors for obvious reasons-LOL).

Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
2010 World Series Trophy Tour stops in Sacramento

FOX40: Giants World Series Trophy Tour - YouTube

Old 01-16-2012, 12:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
They can, but Madisonians don't go claiming that Madison is a "sports city" because the Packers are in the same state. Fort Collins has Broncos fans but they don't say they're a sports city because it's "basically Denver". That's what you're doing.

Sacramento is anything but a sports city. You have zero competitive college sports teams, and the Kings are the running joke of the NBA, and you're losing them to Anaheim anyway.

No one has a problem with you being a Niners fan, but you came on here of your own volition and started trash-talking the Broncos!! The notion that Sac has some sort of claim on the Niners, in comparison to Denver area residents' claim on the Broncos, is what's silly. Sacramentans can be fans of Bay Area teams but you're second-class citizens.
Yes, on my own free-will and volition I am stating again that SACRAMENTO IS A SPORTS CITY. I've made my case over and over again. Is Denver more of a sports city, yes of course it is, are you happy now?

Am I happy that the Broncos were destroyed by the Patriots, Yes, but that does not mean that I trash talking them. In fact, someone else started trash talking the Sacramento Kings and Oakland for no apparent reason.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Sacramentans can be fans of Bay Area teams but you're second-class citizens.
Fact: at pre-game party, a SF resident told me that his best customers at the restaurant he works at are 49er fans from SACRAMENTO.

Fact: I have a relative who lives in SACRAMENTO who regularly buys season tickets for both the Giants and 49ers, and he sells them them to SF residents....go figure.

We are hardly second-class citizens. GOD BLESS THE 49ers!

Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,997,713 times
There is no doubt in my mind that Sacramento is home to many fans of Bay Area sports teams. I am not disputing that. However, I would not say that Sacramento is a city known for it's sports culture. Green Bay is a city known for its sports culture. Pittsburgh is too. Boston is up there. And so is Denver.

Also, I do wish to point out that in regards to sports, one has to leave Sacramento to go somewhere else to enjoy the live venues. This is consistent with previous points that I made on this thread, that being that many of Sacramento's top draws involve leaving Sacramento to go elsewhere (ie: Tahoe, Napa Valley, Bay Area) while many of Denver's top draws can be enjoyed right in the city.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:58 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Never been to Denver. But interesting comparison.

One more thing, Sac is growing in sophistication compared to a lot of the other more established cities. I think if Sac continues on its path of redeveloping it's urban core, and finally developing the Railyards, thus, doubling Sac's downtown area and bringing a great deal more urban vibrancy, it will be recognized more on the national stage.

But I gotta check out Denver some time. Never been to Colorado. Would like to see how it's like. I've heard good things about Denver.
Yea Denver is a cool place to visit. As someone origonally from Chicago, I would say calling it world class is a total stretch.

The diversity is totally lacking in Denver. It's like being in North Fontana, CA. Everybody is white and or mexican. And it is very segregated.

And that spreads to the food scene. That is what I mean when I say denver has a food scene that is lacking.

Any city can do fine dining. Selling a bunch of caviar and fake truffles from China to middle class avante grade yuppies who think they are rich.

You might be able to find good Mexican, in the barrio there, but that is it. You wont find the amazing options of Asian, soul, Mexican, etc that you find in Sac. Even in sacs lily white suburbs you get tons of amazing ethnic options.

Sac also has much better access to fresh produce, fresh(er) sea food, and sushi. My friends who live in Denver are all from Chicago origionally and they readily pointed out how it is lacking there. It's not bad,the food scene is it is just very bland Americana when compared to Sac. It felt like I was in Kansas, minus the fresh produce.

Denver is also not very clean, that is definately a fact. There were a lot more gritty industrial sites, tons of smoke stacks, etc. I was surprised, but Denver also gets very hazy at times. Apparently Colorado still uses like 25% of its energy from COAL. You see tons of coal trains going thru. It got so bad that a year and a month ago, Co legislatures had to write a letter telling Coal plants they must leave the Denver area by 2017.

Even the area by the ball park is gritty and a little sketchy. How ever I could be biased as I am used to seeing basball bames in SF or at Wrigley. But the fact that they put a grey hound station right next to the stadium, ensures a lot of crack heads are readily around (which is exactly why sac got its greyhound out of its hyper central city location.

I thought it was kind of cool actually, it made Denver feel like a real city.

As to the best things Sac has going for it:

Diversity, integration, diverse ethnic foods, predictable weather, one of the 10 most sunny metros in the country, 4th in the country for bike commuters, proximity to the bay area and mountians, affordable cost of living, and most importantly- a lack of pretentious jags that are in critical mass on the California coast.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:02 PM

515 posts, read 986,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Fact: at pre-game party, a SF resident told me that his best customers at the restaurant he works at are 49er fans from SACRAMENTO.

Fact: I have a relative who lives in SACRAMENTO who regularly buys season tickets for both the Giants and 49ers, and he sells them them to SF residents....go figure.

We are hardly second-class citizens. GOD BLESS THE 49ers!
I have a friend in New York that does the same thing for the Detroit Lions.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:05 PM

515 posts, read 986,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Yes, on my own free-will and volition I am stating again that SACRAMENTO IS A SPORTS CITY. I've made my case over and over again. Is Denver more of a sports city, yes of course it is, are you happy now?
I think its been made clear that Sacramento is hugely supportive of Bay Area sports teams. However, its also been made quite clear that Sacramento is not nearly as big of a sports city as Denver. Happy now?

Old 01-16-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Also, I do wish to point out that in regards to sports, one has to leave Sacramento to go somewhere else to enjoy the live venues. This is consistent with previous points that I made on this thread, that being that many of Sacramento's top draws involve leaving Sacramento to go elsewhere (ie: Tahoe, Napa Valley, Bay Area) while many of Denver's top draws can be enjoyed right in the city.
You don't ever HAVE to leave Sacramento, to enjoy many venues. They can be enjoyed right here in the city. It's just that NOR-CAL has so much to offer that we spread our wings.

Sacramento has attributes all its own, take it from someone who lives here, and not from someone from the coast who never spends anytime in Sacramento.

We have live theatre, art museums, pubs, restaurants, etc. Can we improve on offering more venues, yes.

Just as important: NOR-CAL is BY FAR better than the denver area, IMO.

We have the SACRAMENTO KINGS, we have our own beautiful AAA ballpark in SACRAMENTO, we have college ball here too. UC Davis & Sac State games.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
I have a friend in New York that does the same thing for the Detroit Lions.
Poor retort. Good try.

You missed something very important. He uses the tickets himself for his family and attends the games every Sunday......except when he sells them to SF residents.

It's so silly why can't you accept and see Sacramento is good place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City