Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city overall meets our criteria?
Denver is better: 131 65.17%
Sacramento is better: 70 34.83%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:45 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times

Advertisements

Nice photos, Chimerique and daortiz, thank you for sharing. I am a sucker for some good photo tours. Here's a pretty decent series of photos mainly of the LoDo area of downtown Denver. These are not mine, this is a link to the photographer's original thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...-pics-4-a.html

Old 01-12-2012, 12:40 AM

9 posts, read 10,921 times
If it was just city limits vs city limits, it would be Denver by a very slim margin. Sac has improved greatly in the last few years and with the anticipated growth of downtown Sac that previous posters have have indicated, Sac may get the edge a few years down the road. But as someone said in a previous post, cities do not exist in a bubble, and Sacramento's location tilts the balance clearly in Sac's favor.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:50 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,416 times
Another plus about Sacramento.

Diversity. Unlike "progressive" cities such as San Francisco or Portland, Sacramento does a LOT MORE Practicing of diversity than just Preaching.

Sacramento has a pretty even and diverse representation of all races and ethnic groups. It is also not only diverse racially, but socially as well. I often drive around the Sac metro area and I'm always amazed about the literally completely different culture spheres I pass through just within a half hour's drive.

Denver is not very diverse. In fact, you can probably argue that unless you're White or maybe Mexican, you may probably feel somewhat out of place. It seems Denver is essentially just a White city with a sizable Hispanic minority.

In Sacramento, you can be anything and be at home. You can be a working class White republican male who goes hunting and fishing. You can be a 26 year old latte liberal. You can be a 45 year old Vietnamese business owner who barely speaks English. You can be a 30 year old Persian real estate broker. You can be a 45 year old Single Black woman who works for the state. You can be an Indian immigrant who works in IT. You can be a Mexican contractor who speaks with a heavy accent. You can be a 26 year old Gay White male.

You can be ALL OF THESE THINGS, and not only do you never have to prove yourself here, you are accepted and you have a sizable community to which you belong.

I've lived many years in San Francisco, where I am a native. I've lived years in Los Angeles. These two places have amazing diversity. But Sacramento not only has great diversity, it is also even more racially and socially integrated than these other cities. Sacramento is a city that practices tolerance and acceptance of others, instead of just preaching it. It is not all up in your face like SF with it's progressive politics, it is not Portland which preaches liberalism but where you would never see people of color anywhere.

Sacramento just does what it does best, just quietly do it's thing without getting in your face with it. It has a real Live and Let Live mentality. Most people here just get along with each other and accept others for who they are.

I think that's one of the best things about Sacramento, and it's another great thing about this city where no day visitor would ever know about. It's another thing where you have to live here to really discover.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:00 AM

503 posts, read 800,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
And that's because Denver is the destination city for the entire Rockies. It's the destination city for several states surrounding it. While Sacramento lives in the shadow of San Francisco.
San diego lives in the shadow of LA, yet SD still gets a considerable amount of reconization.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:53 AM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
San diego lives in the shadow of LA, yet SD still gets a considerable amount of reconization.
Not exactly the same comparison.

SD is and has always been a tourist city, and a navy town which keeps it connected to the nation.

SACs tourism is low, and it once was an air force town, two big bases closed 25yrs ago. Also, SAC has practically NO corporate headquarters which keeps it out of the limelight as well.

It's actually impressive that we chug along and are as prosperous as we are despite not having a fortune 500 presence.

We are sort of an insular, way out west sort of place that the nation ignores.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Not exactly the same comparison.

SD is and has always been a tourist city, and a navy town which keeps it connected to the nation.

SACs tourism is low, and it once was an air force town, two big bases closed 25yrs ago. Also, SAC has practically NO corporate headquarters which keeps it out of the limelight as well.

It's actually impressive that we chug along and are as prosperous as we are despite not having a fortune 500 presence.

We are sort of an insular, way out west sort of place that the nation ignores.
I believe Sac is where Portland and Austin was about 15 years ago. I think our time for recognition is coming. We're building up momentum.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
True. But SD is on the beach, it epitomizes the California lifestyle, thus that's the main reason it gets a lot of recognition. It is a resort town and always has been.

Sacramento didn't grow up as a resort town. It was a center of industry, trade and commerce. Later on as state capitol, it went through a phase where short sighted local governments made bad planning decisions that drained out its central city and kept Sac as a functional government city, and never invested into making it a destination city.

I believe that's changing now and it's only a matter of time before we are known for it.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:43 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,384 times
Good god, are you all getting paid by the Sacramento Chamber of Commerce for this stuff?? You should be. Every single thing has a positive spin on it. It's irritating.

Denver is more popular because it's isolated, Sac is less because it's in the shadow of other cities. Well, then Sac has more diversity than Denver BECAUSE IT'S CLOSER TO ASIA, not because Sacramentans are so wonderful and accepting and subtly cool. Denver is isolated, as you said. (see what I did there? )

Old 01-12-2012, 01:02 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,296 times
Show me a breakdown on the diversity of the 2 metroes!

Old 01-12-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Good god, are you all getting paid by the Sacramento Chamber of Commerce for this stuff?? You should be. Every single thing has a positive spin on it. It's irritating.

Denver is more popular because it's isolated, Sac is less because it's in the shadow of other cities. Well, then Sac has more diversity than Denver BECAUSE IT'S CLOSER TO ASIA, not because Sacramentans are so wonderful and accepting and subtly cool. Denver is isolated, as you said. (see what I did there? )
Portland is just as close to Asia as Sacramento, but Sacramento is more diverse. Los Angeles is just as diverse as Sacramento, but Sacramento is more racially integrated and has less racial tensions.

Also, Sacramento doesn't just have Asians. There are large groups of Middle Easterners, South Asians, Hispanics, Blacks.

I'm also not talking about racial diversity, but also social diversity. Sacramento is a very tolerant, accepting and eclectic place.

Not paid by anybody. But as a Sacramenten, I'm tired of people bashing on this city who really don't know anything about it. I also feel that it is my responsibility as a citizen here to tout what we do have and what we should be known for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City