Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 06:24 PM

100 posts, read 145,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
New York's plenty wealthy, but it wouldn't be quite as dominant if the list were adjusted for cost-of-living.
I think once you're that rich, it really doesn't matter what the cost of living is....

however, I will say that it goes to show you that 'great sunny weather' and 'scenery' arent the primary determinants in having rich people in an area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 06:40 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philynyallday View Post
I think once you're that rich, it really doesn't matter what the cost of living is....
It definitely does with regard to home purchasing power. $1,000,000 (about as much as a family making 250k after taxes can responsibly afford) will get you a palace in the sunbelt, whereas in New York's ritziest suburbs, you're looking at a tasteful, but run-of-the-mill single family home. Factor in property taxes and mortgage payments, and the high cost of living can really eat into your quality of life. This isn't to knock New York; the COL just happens to be a significant drawback. New York can't be the best at everything.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:23 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Interesting, My issue with LI is that it is about the hardest place in America to actually get to. I can get from Center City Philly to BK in like an hour and a half and it takes the same amount time to get through BK and Queens
I understand what your saying. I know people who live in New Jersey who commute to Queens every day during rush hour. And there are people who do vice versa. Its a rough commute. I would go nuts if I had to do it. And its expensive to cross over the bridges.

I also know a teacher who commutes from Edison, New Jersey to just over the bridge in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. Not a great commute but at least its not as bad as going all the way to the south shore of Queens.

Anyway, I cannot speak for everyone else, but when I leave Long Island, I simply try to leave when it is not rush hour. For instance, we will leave before or after the rush, during midday, or on the weekends. So when we go to say, Virginia, we usually fly over the Verrazano and through New Jersey. Timing is key. Almost never a problem with Philadelphia or Baltimore either.

For me, its getting through the Washington DC area thats a PITA.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:51 PM

624 posts, read 905,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio
Shavano Park

Im surprised would have thought Olmos Park, Terrel Hills or Alamo Heights above Shavano Park.
I'm not surprised Shavano Park is all single family homes, Heights has apartments and condos, Olmos Park condos, Terrell Hills a few apartments. Heights, Terrell Hills and Olmos have a little more income diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City