Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most fast paced?
Chicago 153 55.84%
Philadelphia 121 44.16%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 06:05 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,168,930 times

Advertisements

Which of the two cities listed is the most fast paced: Chicago or Philadelphia?

Old 11-21-2006, 07:39 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,702,751 times
Is this a joke? Chicago is the 3rd largest city in the US and home to many of the largest companies of the world. Philly is a great city in its' own right but it just can't compete with Chi-town in terms of size, power, and wealth.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:28 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,168,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Is this a joke? Chicago is the 3rd largest city in the US and home to many of the largest companies of the world. Philly is a great city in its' own right but it just can't compete with Chi-town in terms of size, power, and wealth.
I'm talking about pace of life, not what a city posseses.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:08 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,396,459 times
I actually would say that they're both about equal. I think the urban Northeast Corridor (i.e. the Boston-DC megalopolis) is the fastest paced part of the country by far. However, Chicago being such a large bustling city of three million people, loud trains, massive skyscrapers and honking taxis and such, is quite fast-paced in it's own right, probably the fastest-paced city outside of the East Coast. Both cities however have a good number of tidy quiet neighborhoods where the pace of life is a bit slower, but basically, I think they're fairly similar.

Old 11-24-2006, 07:22 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,849 times
I'm a native of Chicago, never been to Philly, but I have been to D.C. and Boston. Both were a much faster pace than Chicago, so I would guess Philly is too. In Chicago pedestrians will actually (usually) stop at a red light, and often wait for it too turn green before crossing. Less so during business hours downtown. In the northeast, it seemed that people (and cars) would just charge right through an intersection, regardless of the lights. Of course, Chicago is a much faster pace than anywhere else in the Midwest.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:26 AM

91 posts, read 152,130 times
i live in chicago, and life here-in fact, life in the entire state of illinois is SO FAST PACED that it practically seems about to jump the track at any second!

Old 12-02-2006, 04:06 PM

10 posts, read 54,180 times
Default Illinois-fast paced response?

In response to prior message, the entire state of Illinois is not fast-paced. I live and work in Chicago and as far as the initial question of Chicago vs. Philly. I would say about the same. But I was born and raised as child in what is known as "Little Egypt". Basically, near Cairo, IL. And no, the entire state of Illinois is not fast-paced.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:39 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
I'm a native of Chicago, never been to Philly, but I have been to D.C. and Boston. Both were a much faster pace than Chicago, so I would guess Philly is too. In Chicago pedestrians will actually (usually) stop at a red light, and often wait for it too turn green before crossing. Less so during business hours downtown. In the northeast, it seemed that people (and cars) would just charge right through an intersection, regardless of the lights. Of course, Chicago is a much faster pace than anywhere else in the Midwest.
Um, they do that in Chicago all the time. I cant tell you how many times Ive had to slam on the brakes because some pedestrian decides to cross when Ive got a green on a straightaway. I just had when groups of them do it, taking so long to get them all across the intersection that the light almost turns red again before you can actually go.

As for the overall pace, Chicago wins it hands down. Philly never gave that vibe, even downtown. The suburbs seemed slower paced than here too. But that was just 4 days worth of observation.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:04 AM

152 posts, read 732,284 times
Chicago is much more fast paced I lived there. It is much more spread out. Philly is much more compact. I could drive across town under 1/2 hour. Chicago could be hours. The pace of life in Philly is much more relaxed. I
spent alot of time there. If someone told me I had to live there I could do it.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:34 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
In Chicago pedestrians will actually (usually) stop at a red light, and often wait for it too turn green before crossing..
What part of Chicago do they do that in? I've been living here for over 10 years and that hasn't been my experience in any neighborhood I've lived in.

I've never been to Philly though (yet for some reason whenever I take that "american accent" quiz it seems to think I'm from there), so I can't answer the question about pace of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City