Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Philadelphia 57 53.27%
Atlanta 50 46.73%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:12 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
What an unbiased post haha. My personal favorite:

Sounds like you've got a great long-term plan for yourself.

That actually was unbiased, I love Philly. Have family there, and Philly is right behind DC and Chicago as my favorite cities other than Atlanta. What was biased about my post may I ask?

And your sarcasm aside I do have a great long term plan actually, and working for someone else isn't among those plans. Short term I want to open up a non-profit thrift store, just submitted my 501(c)(3) paperwork and I am currently looking for a brick and mortar location. And long term I want to build up enough capitol to buy a franchise. Nothing major, just something like a Quizno's or a Little Ceasars. What's wrong with that? There is nothing wrong with being a 9-5 person, that is just not for me as I consider myself a true hustler. And in regards to this particular thread, Atlanta is a much better climate for entrepreneurship IMO.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:38 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
That actually was unbiased, I love Philly. Have family there, and Philly is right behind DC and Chicago as my favorite cities other than Atlanta. What was biased about my post may I ask?

And your sarcasm aside I do have a great long term plan actually, and working for someone else isn't among those plans. Short term I want to open up a non-profit thrift store, just submitted my 501(c)(3) paperwork and I am currently looking for a brick and mortar location. And long term I want to build up enough capitol to buy a franchise. Nothing major, just something like a Quizno's or a Little Ceasars. What's wrong with that? There is nothing wrong with being a 9-5 person, that is just not for me as I consider myself a true hustler. And in regards to this particular thread, Atlanta is a much better climate for entrepreneurship IMO.
I thought your post was a little off as well. I'd agree that Atlanta is better for entrepreneurship (in that they don't tax the cra* out of you) and many other things on the list are subjective, but Atlanta has more culture and things to do? How is this possible?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:15 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:

I suppose I associate the term "hustling" with illegal or immoral activity since usually there's someone getting hustled.

In terms of bias, the economy in Philly is clearly better, as is the public transit (you gave Philly a "maybe"), weather...education is the most glaring since this usually refers to higher education. The Philly-area colleges are leagues ahead of Atlanta's.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:42 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I thought your post was a little off as well. I'd agree that Atlanta is better for entrepreneurship (in that they don't tax the cra* out of you) and many other things on the list are subjective, but Atlanta has more culture and things to do? How is this possible?
I'll list things that people can do in the Atlanta area:

1) Georgia Aquarium (Largest aquarium on Earth)
2) World of Coca-Cola (Museum dedicated to Coke)
3) Six Flags over Georgia
4) White Water Water Park
5) Lake Lanier Islands Beach & Water Park (It actually has a new name)
6) Stone Mountain Park (sky lift, river boat, laser show, 1800s themed town, many other things).
7) Legoland (for kids)
8) Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park (museum, hiking, recreation)
9) Chattahoochee River National Recreational Area (hiking, canoeing, kayaking).
10) Fox Theater (broadway shows)
11) High Museum of Art
12) Center for Puppetry Arts (puppet shows for kids)
13) Zoo Atlanta
14) Cyclorama (life size painting around a revolving themed show of the Civil War and the Battle of Atlanta).
15) Fernbank Science Center
16) Dave & Buster's
17) Fernbank Museum of Natural History
18) Children's Museum
19) Sweetwater Creek State Park (miles of walking trails; Confederate army ruins of the Civil War; fishing, boating)
20) Lake Lanier (Recreation; boating; camping)
21) Underground Atlanta
22) CNN Center Tour
23) Atlanta Botanical Garden
24) Wren House (home of Joel Chandler Harris, author of Brer Rabbit/Song of the South stories; children can hear stories)
25) Margaret Mitchell House: (Tour Margaret Mitchell, the author of "Gone With the Wind, home.
26) Atlanta History Center Museum (museum of the history of Atlanta)
27) See a Braves Game
28) See a Falcons Game
29) See a Hawks game
30) See a Gwinnett Gladiators hockey game
31) See a Gwinnett Braves (AAA) game.
32) See the Georgia Force Arena Football team play.
33) See the Atlanta Dream play.
34) See the Atlanta Silverbacks Men's soccer team play.
35) See the Atlanta Beat women's soccer team play.
36) Concerts (Philips Arena, Arena at Gwinnett Center, Chastain Amphitheater, Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center, Lakewood Amphitheater, Atlanta Civic Center, Barnes-Mable House Amphitheater)
37) Shoot the Hooch (Raft the Chattahoochee River)
38) Fine Dining
39) All the shopping you can handle
40) American Adventures Kids Amusement Park
41) Woodruff Arts Center & The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
42) Mountasia Family Fun Centers (go-carts, bumper boats, minature golf, arcade)
43) Medevial Times Dinner & Show
44) Close proximity to the mountains (only 30-45 minutes from some parts of the northern suburbs).
45) College Sports Hall of Fame (to be built)
46) All types of shows that come to town from Circue Du Soleil to Cavalia to Ringling Brothers to motocross to monster truck shows
47) Atlanta Motor Speedway (NASCAR races)
48) Numerous golf events

much more

Old 12-20-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post

Easy, I'm a black male, Philly does not have as much to do as Atlanta does in terms of things to do for black people. I go to Philly at least a few times a year and it's not even close. That's why I made it a point to clearly use subjective a number of times in my first post because I realize that the stuff I like to do is not the same as the next person.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I suppose I associate the term "hustling" with illegal or immoral activity since usually there's someone getting hustled.

In terms of bias, the economy in Philly is clearly better, as is the public transit (you gave Philly a "maybe"), weather...education is the most glaring since this usually refers to higher education. The Philly-area colleges are leagues ahead of Atlanta's.

Hustling is making your own way, it doesn't have to be illegal.

And higher education in Philly is leagues ahead of Atlanta? You sure about that?

Old 12-20-2011, 11:02 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Hustling is making your own way, it doesn't have to be illegal.

And higher education in Philly is leagues ahead of Atlanta? You sure about that?
Yeah, I disagree with that as well. Philly is ahead of Atlanta because of UPenn. But GA Tech and Emory are higher than any other university other than UPenn, I believe.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:14 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah, I disagree with that as well. Philly is ahead of Atlanta because of UPenn. But GA Tech and Emory are higher than any other university other than UPenn, I believe.
There is way more than UPenn... Philly bests ATL significantly at every level when it comes to higher ed.
Remember, UPenn is Ivy League.
There is also Temple, LaSalle, Drexel, St Josephs, Curtis Institute, Bryn Mawr, Haverford, Swarthmore, Widener, Villanova, Rutgers-Camden. You also have access right there to Princeton in Mercer County.
Serious institutions. For depth and breadth, Philadelphia is 2nd only to Boston or NYC IMO in Higher Ed.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:47 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I'll list things that people can do in the Atlanta area:

1) Georgia Aquarium (Largest aquarium on Earth)
2) World of Coca-Cola (Museum dedicated to Coke)
3) Six Flags over Georgia
4) White Water Water Park
5) Lake Lanier Islands Beach & Water Park (It actually has a new name)
6) Stone Mountain Park (sky lift, river boat, laser show, 1800s themed town, many other things).
7) Legoland (for kids)
8) Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park (museum, hiking, recreation)
9) Chattahoochee River National Recreational Area (hiking, canoeing, kayaking).
10) Fox Theater (broadway shows)
11) High Museum of Art
12) Center for Puppetry Arts (puppet shows for kids)
13) Zoo Atlanta
14) Cyclorama (life size painting around a revolving themed show of the Civil War and the Battle of Atlanta).
15) Fernbank Science Center
16) Dave & Buster's
17) Fernbank Museum of Natural History
18) Children's Museum
19) Sweetwater Creek State Park (miles of walking trails; Confederate army ruins of the Civil War; fishing, boating)
20) Lake Lanier (Recreation; boating; camping)
21) Underground Atlanta
22) CNN Center Tour
23) Atlanta Botanical Garden
24) Wren House (home of Joel Chandler Harris, author of Brer Rabbit/Song of the South stories; children can hear stories)
25) Margaret Mitchell House: (Tour Margaret Mitchell, the author of "Gone With the Wind, home.
26) Atlanta History Center Museum (museum of the history of Atlanta)
27) See a Braves Game
28) See a Falcons Game
29) See a Hawks game
30) See a Gwinnett Gladiators hockey game
31) See a Gwinnett Braves (AAA) game.
32) See the Georgia Force Arena Football team play.
33) See the Atlanta Dream play.
34) See the Atlanta Silverbacks Men's soccer team play.
35) See the Atlanta Beat women's soccer team play.
36) Concerts (Philips Arena, Arena at Gwinnett Center, Chastain Amphitheater, Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center, Lakewood Amphitheater, Atlanta Civic Center, Barnes-Mable House Amphitheater)
37) Shoot the Hooch (Raft the Chattahoochee River)
38) Fine Dining
39) All the shopping you can handle
40) American Adventures Kids Amusement Park
41) Woodruff Arts Center & The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
42) Mountasia Family Fun Centers (go-carts, bumper boats, minature golf, arcade)
43) Medevial Times Dinner & Show
44) Close proximity to the mountains (only 30-45 minutes from some parts of the northern suburbs).
45) College Sports Hall of Fame (to be built)
46) All types of shows that come to town from Circue Du Soleil to Cavalia to Ringling Brothers to motocross to monster truck shows
47) Atlanta Motor Speedway (NASCAR races)
48) Numerous golf events

much more
LOL. Dave & Buster's? Ringling Bros? You can do those things in a lot of places. And Underground Atlanta should not be considered an "attraction."

Old 12-20-2011, 11:51 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
LOL. Dave & Buster's? Ringling Bros? You can do those things in a lot of places. And Underground Atlanta should not be considered an "attraction."
Here is another coming attraction:

?Showcase? Waffle House to border Centennial Park - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City