Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 01:58 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times

Advertisements

When flying to O'hare from the East Coast, we passed over downtown Chicago. Pretty good view.
When I flew to from either Chicago airports to National Airport in DC, you fly over the Potomac and you get a great view of Downtown DC. In fact, the entire 68 sq. miles of DC. Especially at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 01:59 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
SD as noted earlier is very cool as well. The North ward (I believe) tak-off over SF can be pretty spectacular as well...

Also of note is flying over lake Erie at night coming back from Chicago (well at least to philly would magine NYC too) you get to see Detroit, Cleveland, and Toronto from the air, also pretty cool

Landing at San Diego Airport (SAN) - YouTube

Old 11-07-2011, 02:01 PM

This is even better start at 2:50

Southwest 737 landing in SAN at Sunset - YouTube

Old 11-07-2011, 02:21 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,444,722 times
We came down right past Mt. Rainier on a sunny day on our descent into Seattle once. I have never seen anything like that in my life. Absolutely breathtaking.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:31 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Most underwhelming descent....definitely Denver. Coming from back east and landing at DIA on the prairies I look out the window and think , hey this is Colorado; where the hell are the mountains? Did we just land in Kansas City? Then I pick up the rental car and drive several miles (past the demonic bronco) to I-70 and finally the Denver skyline and the Rockies come into view like a big wall behind the city. But landing there it's pretty apparent Denver's airport is out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:46 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,880,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Most underwhelming descent....definitely Denver. Coming from back east and landing at DIA on the prairies I look out the window and think , hey this is Colorado; where the hell are the mountains? Did we just land in Kansas City? Then I pick up the rental car and drive several miles (past the demonic bronco) to I-70 and finally the Denver skyline and the Rockies come into view like a big wall behind the city. But landing there it's pretty apparent Denver's airport is out in the middle of nowhere.
KC and Denver are the worst. I used to fly between them and you can literally take off from one (either one) and land in the other and not see a single thing that even remotely resembles a metro area of any size. That flight is like a flight from one part of the moon to another because both airports are so far away from the developed metros and there is not even any sprawl to be seen.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:56 PM

By no means the best but some approaches give pretty good skyline views, also the navy yard and stadiums

Southwest Airlines 737-300 MHT-PHL Landing (04/2010) - YouTube

Old 11-07-2011, 03:13 PM

97 posts, read 156,975 times
LAS at night.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:19 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Chicago at night coming from the east is pretty cool. You're over the dark lake michigan for awhile, then bam, the city spreads out before you as far as you can see. It's best to be on the left side of the plane for the good views of downtown and the yellow grid of the city lit up. I always see people ignoring the electronic's off rule and secretly trying to take pictures on their phones.

I also like Vegas at night coming in from the total darkness.

Chicago to Laguardia is pretty nice when you come up from the southwest and then fly right next to manhattan up the east river during the final approach.

Gibraltar was one of the best I've ever had, landing right on that runway built out into the middle of the sea with the rock sitting RIGHT there.

Nice was great in France, with the water, the mountains, the city spread out right before you. Honolulu and Barcelona was like that as well.

Venice in Italy is awesome when you're on the correct side of the plane and can see the city out in the water just offshore.

Never had much luck in Paris, Rome, Florence, London or Amsterdam as far as getting good city views. Maybe I was on the wrong side of the plane, but I don't think I've seen anything any time I've gone into those airports.

Berlin use to be awesome at Tempelhof before they closed that down. You literally thought you were landing in the middle of the city, then poof, a tiny airport appeared. Unfortunately Tegal and Schonefeld aren't anywhere near as exciting.

Lisbon was pretty cool, flying right over the city as we turned around to come in at the airport. Very awesome views of the April 25th Bridge (is that the name??) Really reminded me of the Golden Gate.

Cusco in Peru was amazing because you literally come down and land in the middle of the city. It's a linear city, so it really spreads out before your eyes, and then with all the huge mountains in the background. It feels like you're going to hit some of them.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 11-07-2011 at 04:27 PM..

Old 11-07-2011, 08:58 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
I'll never forget the descent into LA after 18 hours of flying time, seeing the mountains, the beach and the seemingly endless sprawl. I'd imagine finally touching down in America for the first time many times for years and I had to pinch myself to remind myself I was really there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City