Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 08:38 PM

690 posts, read 1,006,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Flying into Baltimore (BWI) is actually really beautiful. I had to connect there enroute to Boston, coming from the desert and seeing the Chesapeake Bay when landing with all the bays, creeks, estuaries, green marshland, and just an incredibly lush green landscape with an abundance of water covering horizon is quite a nice spectacle.
Agreed pic by me
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8816/...a348e9_k_d.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 10:45 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,997 times

New Orleans coming from the east. Not the best in the country but pretty cool anyways

Old 04-26-2015, 11:09 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,052 times
My favorite is Toronto--Billy Bishop.

My least favorite is Chicago O'Hare (approaching from the northwest)

Old 04-27-2015, 12:55 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
Flying into New York-La Guardia
Stunning - and look at One World Trade!

Old 04-27-2015, 03:53 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,347 times
SLC can be beautiful when landing north ops. South ops are unique from the mountain perspective, but the GSL looks like it smells.

ORD is stunning, especially at dusk, coming in over the lake north of downtown.

The brownstones in Queens seem REALLY close as you thread the needle during rwy 04 approach at LGA. You can see underwear hanging on the clotheslines. Of course the view of Manhattan is great on the left side of the plane during that approach.

LAX is beautiful at night. 95% of the time you're landing to the west.

How I love to fly!!!

Last edited by Kar54; 04-27-2015 at 04:04 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 06:19 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,332 times
CHICAGO is Spectacular... by jet. When it flies up its Shoreline on Lake Michigan. Passing DOWNTOWN HERE and then up North Shore Gold Coast is Awesome.? Turning then inland to O'Hare.

YOU CAN SEE WRIGLEY FIELD WHERE THE DARKER GREEN PARK ON THE RIGHT. SEEMS TO POINT TOWARD IT, AT TOP OF PARK.

Attached Thumbnails
Best view from a window seat when descending into a city-along-chicago-river-.jpg  

Old 04-27-2015, 06:20 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,413,542 times
Flying into LaGuardia and sitting on the correct side of the plane is just jaw dropping.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:00 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
My favorite is Toronto--Billy Bishop.

My least favorite is Chicago O'Hare (approaching from the northwest)
I've done this quite a bit and it's my favorite in Canada (although my one flight into Calgary was pretty scenic). I love it. It may just be that Porter Air from Boston is an all around great flight experience (short flight, depart from Logan near downtown and arrive a BB right in downtown, but the skyline views from the right side of the plane are incredible.

Coincidentally, Chicago O'Hare is my favorite in the U.S. for similar reasons. Usually I'm coming in from the East so the approach is almost always over the lake with the skyline visible to the left of the aircraft. It's stunning.

Some of the Caribbean approaches are pretty nice, but my favorite to date is Geneva Switzerland. The lake and mountain views are breathtaking. Last time was an early AM approach and the gasps from passengers as the Alps came into view were pretty incredible.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:02 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,956 times
I love flying into Chicago from the east. It's pretty amazing seeing that endless skyline pop up over the horizon flying over Lake Michigan. It's a great landing from any direction though.

Toronto-Billy Bishop, I'm surprised only one other person has mentioned it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTg_90NNbL4

Pearson is not bad either (my pic):

And Cape Town in honor of Freedom Day yesterday:

Old 04-29-2015, 09:46 PM

529 posts, read 1,547,520 times
I agree Denver is quite boring if you're coming from the east and then have the misfortune of sitting on the wrong side of the plane (the side that doesn't face the mountains) when you turn to land.

However coming from the west, south or north it can be quite incredible with the view of the Rockies and the Denver Skyline. You have to be sitting on the left side of the plane if you're coming from the south and vice versa, and if you are the view is great. It looks like L.A. IMO

Check out the attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Best view from a window seat when descending into a city-2579668.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City