Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2019, 01:35 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,620,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
....Why? I mean, really? That's absurd. The Civil War was 160 odd years ago. What's left to be bitter about?

The South has more prosperity now than it ever has in the entire history of our country.
It's not absurd. It's the truth. What's absurd is that you think it's absurd. There ARE a "few" Southerners who resent Yankees, and that's just a fact. Words are important. Please note, I didn't use the words "every" or "all" or "many" or "most" or "alot" or "some" with the word "Southerners". I carefully chose the word "few", which means, "not very many". If you think about it, we who are alive today in the year 2019, are not all that far removed from 1860. 159 years is not as long ago as it seems, when you break it down by generation. People are still alive today who had grandparents whose grandparents were directly effected by the Civil War in some kinda way. They were still having big Civil War Vetrerans parades into the mid 1930's. For some people, the sting of that war is still there, today.

Actually, resentment is on both sides because there were a "few" Yankees and Northerners who resented white Southerners from Appalachia who went north to work in the factories from about the 1920's until about the early 1970's. Many of the Yankees and Northerners were very class concious and there were a few who thought those "hillbillies" were 2nd class citizens. They didn't even live in the same parts of town much less run in the same social circle. That sentiment still lingers on as there are a few Yankees/Northerners who do put Southerners a notch or two below them.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 08-17-2019 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 08:05 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Just throwing it out there as a native New Yorker, I HATE being called a Yankee. NEVER make the mistake of thinking everybody from NY is "proud" to be called a Yankee.

To me a Yankee is a prudish, snobbish, rich, heartless jack-wagon city slicker who shrieks like a little girl at the sight of any wildlife.

I am from NY. I am a northerner. I am also country, and I come from a poor family. Even though people love to debate it with me I know who I am and where I am from. I am NOT a Yankee.
What about New Jersey and Philadelphia? They're known for being rude in a more trashy, confrontational kind of way vs Manhattan and Long Island.

To me, Manhattan, Long Island and Westchester are about "I'm better than you, I'm better than those inbred hicks from Kentucky and all those people in flyover country? You didn't go to an Ivy League school? You wait tables for a living? You work in a factory? You're beneath me."

Philly and New Jersey is more like "Get the hell out of my way, why the hell are you wasting my time, why the f_____ are you talking to me?" While dressed like gangsters and guidos or cholos.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:20 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,547,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
What about New Jersey and Philadelphia? They're known for being rude in a more trashy, confrontational kind of way vs Manhattan and Long Island.

To me, Manhattan, Long Island and Westchester are about "I'm better than you, I'm better than those inbred hicks from Kentucky and all those people in flyover country? You didn't go to an Ivy League school? You wait tables for a living? You work in a factory? You're beneath me."

Philly and New Jersey is more like "Get the hell out of my way, why the hell are you wasting my time, why the f_____ are you talking to me?" While dressed like gangsters and guidos or cholos.
Well, to be honest, there are people like that everywhere. Even in the south. They just aren't always Italian. haha

In fact, I have met a handfull of native southerners I would consider to be much bigger Yankees than I would be. Uptight, snobby, etc.

Hell of it is though, Yankee means something different to everybody. It's just been my experience that it usually comes with the assumption about what sort of person you are.

Frankly, in my opinion, it's an obsolete term and other than locations and a sports team, I'd like to see it die. Like calling any southerner a rebel. It just doesn't apply in the modern day.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:17 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,562,707 times
Quote:

Lol. Man, you really had a bad time Up North. Cholos are more of a Mexican thing instead of PR and Dr and Cuban.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:35 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
It's not absurd. It's the truth. What's absurd is that you think it's absurd. There ARE a "few" Southerners who resent Yankees, and that's just a fact. Words are important. Please note, I didn't use the words "every" or "all" or "many" or "most" or "alot" or "some" with the word "Southerners". I carefully chose the word "few", which means, "not very many". If you think about it, we who are alive today in the year 2019, are not all that far removed from 1860. 159 years is not as long ago as it seems, when you break it down by generation. People are still alive today who had grandparents whose grandparents were directly effected by the Civil War in some kinda way. They were still having big Civil War Vetrerans parades into the mid 1930's. For some people, the sting of that war is still there, today.
All of us have ancestors who lived hard lives, fought in wars, and suffered injustices. Time to start living in the 21st Century.

To have resentments and blame groups of people for things that happened a century-and-a-half ago is absurd.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:37 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times
Quote:

Actually, resentment is on both sides because there were a "few" Yankees and Northerners who resented white Southerners from Appalachia who went north to work in the factories from about the 1920's until about the early 1970's. Many of the Yankees and Northerners were very class concious and there were a few who thought those "hillbillies" were 2nd class citizens. They didn't even live in the same parts of town much less run in the same social circle. That sentiment still lingers on as there are a few Yankees/Northerners who do put Southerners a notch or two below them.
As a Southerner, I think the real resent today comes from Yankees moving South and imposing themselves on us while looking down on us, and trying to turn us into what they left behind. For example this is why Virginia, NC and Texas are threatening to turn blue. People escape the high taxes of New York and New Jersey, and they vote for people who will turn Virginia and NC into New Jersey. They come south because of our lower south of living and more jobs, but then they vote for people who will usher in high taxes and job killing regulations, for example. They also bring their rude attitudes with them. I've heard Yankee transplants in North Carolina complain to each other about cashiers at the grocery store asking how they are and they were like "why do you care how my day's going, and I don't care how your day's going, just let me be on my way." THIS to me is the archtypical Yankee attitude and culture in terms of day to day life.

So yes we don't like it when Yankees come to our states, act rudely and impatiently all the time and want us to live at their pace, and we don't like it when they try to change the politics of our states, or when they tell us they're offended by Merry Christmas, by Christmas trees in public buildings, by Confederate flags and Confederate monuments and that all this should be changed to accomodate them. The Yankees who are like this mostly come from New York, New Jersey, the DC area, New England, and Chicago. Less of an issue with folks from Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Ohio, Michigan, etc. Baltimore is one of the friendlier and more laid back cities in the northeast, at least Baltimore County was to me. Obviously inner city Baltimore is very rude and hostile but the ghetto will always be like that, even in the South. Even in the Deep South, people in the hood are very confrontational and rude.

I do kinda consider the Great Lakes area to be Yankees particularly Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Pennsylvania outside of Philly, Delaware, Maryland, and northern WV are Northern but not really Yankee to me.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:46 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
As a Southerner, I think the real resent today comes from Yankees moving South and imposing themselves on us while looking down on us, and trying to turn us into what they left behind. For example this is why Virginia, NC and Texas are threatening to turn blue. People escape the high taxes of New York and New Jersey, and they vote for people who will turn Virginia and NC into New Jersey. They come south because of our lower south of living and more jobs, but then they vote for people who will usher in high taxes and job killing regulations, for example. They also bring their rude attitudes with them. I've heard Yankee transplants in North Carolina complain to each other about cashiers at the grocery store asking how they are and they were like "why do you care how my day's going, and I don't care how your day's going, just let me be on my way." THIS to me is the archtypical Yankee attitude and culture in terms of day to day life.

So yes we don't like it when Yankees come to our states, act rudely and impatiently all the time and want us to live at their pace, and we don't like it when they try to change the politics of our states, or when they tell us they're offended by Merry Christmas, by Christmas trees in public buildings, by Confederate flags and Confederate monuments and that all this should be changed to accomodate them. The Yankees who are like this mostly come from New York, New Jersey, the DC area, New England, and Chicago. Less of an issue with folks from Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Ohio, Michigan, etc. Baltimore is one of the friendlier and more laid back cities in the northeast, at least Baltimore County was to me. Obviously inner city Baltimore is very rude and hostile but the ghetto will always be like that, even in the South. Even in the Deep South, people in the hood are very confrontational and rude.

I do kinda consider the Great Lakes area to be Yankees particularly Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Pennsylvania outside of Philly, Delaware, Maryland, and northern WV are Northern but not really Yankee to me.
So much ignorance in this post. You know for example if only native Texans voted in 2018 Ted Cruz would have lost right? People move to Texas or South Carolina because they are Republican. It’s the White Supremist Tendancies If the Republicans pushing away native Latino voters that’s Turing Texas Blue.

And the Confederacy is objectively bad and denying that is extreme ignorance of history.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:54 AM

1,351 posts, read 898,065 times
The anti Latino tone of the Republican Party is what is turning Texas blue. Not liberals from the north.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:59 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,547,174 times
Quote:

You DO know NY is not just the downstate area, right? If central and western PA is not "Yankee" in your eyes than neither should most of upstate NY be. Also please bear in mind that most of the northerners who act like that are the jerks who have a ton of money to travel, and they treat us rural folks terrible at home too. They do not represent the north as a culture.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:17 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Default What states do you personally consider "yankee"?

Quote:
When I was living in Indiana I never thought of myself as a Yankee and I didn't know any Hoosier who did. All the natives of Indiana that I ever ran across considered theirselves Hoosiers. I never heard one Hoosier call another Hoosier a Yankee. They'd look at you funny like you was crazy if you called them a Yankee.

I've always considered the Yankee states to be New Jersey, New York and New England and I'm guessing the eastern half or eastern 3rd of Pennsylvania. Most of the folks in that section of the country considert theirselves Yankees. They proudly call theiirselves Yankees.

In the South, anybody from the Midwest and Northeast is a Yankee and it's a duragotry term and many people take offense to being called a Yankee. It's practically an ethnic slur. It's not a term of endearment by any means. I think the Yankee b.s. it's mostly due to the Civil War. There's still a few Southerners who are bitter and carry much deep seeded resentment for Yankees with them.
If your from Indiana, the Hoosier state, you might be more Yankee then you think.

I once read a theory of the origin of the word "Hoosier". There were early settlers from New England who would move west by crossing over the Hoosac Range of mountains and then rafting down part of the Hoosic River. The Hoosic flows from Massachusetts and Vermont through the Taconic Mountains into New York and then flows into the Hudson. From there early settlers would travel through the Mohawk Valley (and later the Erie Canal) to the Great Lakes.

Supposedly these early settlers were called Hoosiers because they tended to go down the Hoosic Valley all at once during the Spring season (you did not start a months long journey to the wilds of the Great Lakes during the fall or the winter).

https://naturalatlas.com/rivers/hoosic-938639 (Hoosic River Map)

I know there are many other possibilities for the Hoosier name (most of which are funny ridiculous) but this is the best one I have seen. I just cannot find where I have seen it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City