Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better Downtown
Philadelphia 192 62.34%
Seattle 116 37.66%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 10:05 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times

Advertisements

Who said it's #6? I said an argument could be made for anywhere from 4th to 6th. For me it's a debate between 4th and 5th, but DC is an unusual situation that might deserve consideration.

As for the #2 population, that was apples-to-oranges based on an oversized land area. It would be down the list a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 07:29 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Who said it's #6? I said an argument could be made for anywhere from 4th to 6th. For me it's a debate between 4th and 5th, but DC is an unusual situation that might deserve consideration.

As for the #2 population, that was apples-to-oranges based on an oversized land area. It would be down the list a bit.
Even if more limited Philly added more people DT then did Seattle last decade though maybe Seattle will add more this decade though Philly is adding a lot. Also the next set of neighborhoods in Philly are also more dense and vibrant and more seamless. Seattle punches above its size no doubt but Its not yet at the level of a Philly, Sf, or Boston. Or even DC. But is getting better but is still probably a tier below those

I do like that Seattle and Philly probably have the two best markets in the US

Old 05-08-2016, 08:18 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times
Quote:

Not a bit at all. It would only rank behind Chicago and San Francisco I believe.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Even if more limited Philly added more people DT then did Seattle last decade though maybe Seattle will add more this decade though Philly is adding a lot. Also the next set of neighborhoods in Philly are also more dense and vibrant and more seamless. Seattle punches above its size no doubt but Its not yet at the level of a Philly, Sf, or Boston. Or even DC. But is getting better but is still probably a tier below those

I do like that Seattle and Philly probably have the two best markets in the US
I'd love to see a report that showed a 2,500 acre area of Philly with 27,000 units started in the past 10 years. Otherwise I'm not buying it.

Alternatively how about a lagging indicator at least...a census tract listing with maybe Census 2000 and 2010 plus local for 2015.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:14 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,869,979 times
Quote:

Well, 4th-6th includes 6th, and I have a hard time believing it falls to 6th. Regardless, it's opinion I suppose....

As for the #2, it was more to show that the Greater CC area is substantial. Not something I image Seattle will be able to match in cohesiveness or density any time soon. And that area is also growing at a fair clip still.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:30 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Well, 4th-6th includes 6th, and I have a hard time believing it falls to 6th. Regardless, it's opinion I suppose....

As for the #2, it was more to show that the Greater CC area is substantial. Not something I image Seattle will be able to match in cohesiveness or density any time soon. And that area is also growing at a fair clip still.
Speaking of cohesion, Greater CC takes in University City, and its nearly 49,000 residents, a mere stroll across the bridge away: http://www.universitycity.org/sites/...C-2013-web.pdf

As locals know, Northern Liberties, the next tier away to the north of CC is almost nearly built out. So here's the buzz on Fishtown, the next neighborhood out from NoLibs: Fishtown, where small businesses bloom.

The disconnection between Seattle's neighborhoods was an observation i made when last there 6 years ago. Perhaps the urban fabric has filled in more in that time - dunno.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:05 PM

35 posts, read 30,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Speaking of cohesion, Greater CC takes in University City, and its nearly 49,000 residents, a mere stroll across the bridge away: http://www.universitycity.org/sites/...C-2013-web.pdf

As locals know, Northern Liberties, the next tier away to the north of CC is almost nearly built out. So here's the buzz on Fishtown, the next neighborhood out from NoLibs: Fishtown, where small businesses bloom.

The disconnection between Seattle's neighborhoods was an observation i made when last there 6 years ago. Perhaps the urban fabric has filled in more in that time - dunno.
The Denny Triangle and South Lake Union neighborhoods have been dramatically built up since then, which does make for a more cohesive urban core.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:05 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
I'd love to see a report that showed a 2,500 acre area of Philly with 27,000 units started in the past 10 years. Otherwise I'm not buying it.

Alternatively how about a lagging indicator at least...a census tract listing with maybe Census 2000 and 2010 plus local for 2015.
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/rele.../cb12-181.html

Click on the pdf from the census in the link. Page 28 in the attached. Philly was number three in growth behind Chicago and NYC

Old 05-08-2016, 10:13 PM

That's not "downtown." That's a 2-mile radius from city hall, or more than six square miles! Philly count probably over five square miles of land, while Seattle and others count substantially less due to water. And it's a very oversized area. Center City is a couple square miles.

In any case, that part of Philly only grew 9.7% or about 21,000 in that period.

And where's 2015? Downtown Seattle had a sizeable housing boom in the previous decade (1.3 booms actually) but it's the current decade that's blowing the doors off.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:14 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,869,979 times
Quote:
That's not "downtown." That's a 2-mile radius from city hall, or more than six square miles! Philly count probably over five square miles of land, while Seattle and others count substantially less due to water. And it's a very oversized area. Center City is a couple square miles.

In any case, that part of Philly only grew 9.7% or about 21,000 in that period.

And where's 2015? Downtown Seattle had a sizeable housing boom in the previous decade (1.3 booms actually) but it's the current decade that's blowing the doors off.
No question Seattle has more development going on. The point is that Philly is not standing still, and that's with a considerable head-start. And you mentioned Greater Downtown Seattle before which sent us on the Greater Center City path.

Regardless, you're welcome to post some stats if you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City