Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 04:51 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,695 times

Advertisements

NYC I mean it did produce the single most influential thing in black america today hip hop culture. Not to mention Harlems past and it's current resurgence. I'd say NYC besides the black panthers and street gangs which is a horrible thing CA hasn't contributed as much to the black community as much as NYC itself.

Honestly right now though ATL is the the black capital though over both NYC and the entire state of CA.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:53 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
NYC I mean it did produce the single most influential thing in black america today hip hop culture. Not to mention Harlems past and it's current resurgence. I'd say NYC besides the black panthers and street gangs which is a horrible thing CA hasn't contributed as much to the black community as NYC itself.
Yeah, but as far as the diversity of the black population goes, I think California surely has NYC beat. California has more Afro-Cubans, Belizians, Guyanese, Nigerians, Togolese, Jamaicans and Trinidadians, right?

Besides, black culture in New York City has not been that pronounced. Do you think there are Asian kids in California listening to rap music? Get serious!

Old 11-16-2011, 04:53 PM

860 posts, read 1,357,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Sherbet?
Yes, Sherbet/Frozen Yogurt would also be appropriate for disscusion

Old 11-16-2011, 04:58 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
I've thought a lot of things about California, but certainly not that it's a center of black culture. The state is 6% black, which is actually a lower % than it has been historically.

The LA metro lost 85,000 blacks in the 2000's, the San Fran area is down 35,000 and the San Diego area lose 8,000. All of them are between 5% and 8% black.

The Chicago area alone has as many blacks than the LA, Riverside, San Fran and San Diego areas combined.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:58 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
Yes, Sherbet/Frozen Yogurt would also be appropriate for disscusion
Its on. What's more diverse: Baksin Robbins or Cold Stone?

Me? Cold Stone. No way 31 segrageted flavors beats the mixing/mashup dynanism of frozen yogurt and any topping of your choice. Gummi worms and gelato? Hub please.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:59 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, but as far as the diversity of the black population goes, I think California surely has NYC beat.
You being sarcastic? because CA's black population is extremely dominated by just African Americans. NYC has a way more diverse black population with all the different Caribbean nations having a huge presence here plus the actual African population itself. NYC has the most diverse black population in the country.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I've thought a lot of things about California, but certainly not that it's a center of black culture. The state is 6% black, which is actually a lower % than it has been historically.

The LA metro lost 85,000 blacks in the 2000's, the San Fran area is down 35,000 and the San Diego area lose 8,000. All of them are between 5% and 8% black.

The Chicago area alone has as many blacks than the LA, Riverside, San Fran and San Diego areas combined.
Hmm...the Census says there are more than twice as many Asians in the Five Boroughs alone as there are blacks in Los Angeles and San Francisco combined. How can that possibly be?

Old 11-16-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
You being sarcastic? because CA's black population is extremely dominated by just African Americans. NYC has a way more diverse black population with all the different Caribbean nations having a huge presence here plus the actual African population itself. NYC has the most diverse black population in the country.
Are you sure about that? I think L.A. and the Bay have a cross-cultural fermentation among African, West Indian and Latin culture that NYC can only dream of replicating.

I mean, if you go to California, you see much more interaction with blacks and Mexicans than you do with, say, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and Jamaicans in New York. Yeah, yeah, Fat Joe, Big Pun, J-Lo and Zoe Saldana are a few notable exceptions, but by and large, NYC is a very segregated place where cultures never get mixed together. You need to go somewhere like East Los Angeles or Compton to truly experience a genuine fusion of all these different cultures.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:20 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:

Me? Cold Stone. No way 31 segrageted flavors beats the mixing/mashup dynanism of frozen yogurt and any topping of your choice. Gummi worms and gelato? Hub please.
Everyone knows that Baskin Robbins is strictly against the miscegenation of multiple ice cream flavors.

Local Republican Orders Vanilla at Baskin Robbins for 25 Years

Old 11-16-2011, 05:27 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:

But you can get the more PURE and ORIGINAL flavors at Baskin Robbins. I heard it tastes better than the knock-off flavors that are stolen from the original flavors, but not as good anyways.

I'm more of a fan of Yogurtland and Pinkberry. YOU get to choose, and add stuff. Nothing beats Original Tart flavor with some mochi, pineapple, and strawberries. Yum! I think that should be hub-worthy as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City