Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:20 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Are you sure about that? I think L.A. and the Bay have a cross-cultural fermentation among African, West Indian and Latin culture that NYC can only dream of replicating.

I mean, if you go to California, you see much more interaction with blacks and Mexicans than you do with, say, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and Jamaicans in New York. Yeah, yeah, Fat Joe, Big Pun, J-Lo and Zoe Saldana are a few notable exceptions, but by and large, NYC is a very segregated place where cultures never get mixed together. You need to go somewhere like East Los Angeles or Compton to truly experience a genuine fusion of all these different cultures.

As much as it must bother you that factually the NYC metro is the most segregated metro in America, what is the point of this thread? Another thread for you to ***** and moan that NYC should win at everything? Get a life.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:21 PM

860 posts, read 1,357,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Lemon sorbet out of lemons!
You see, the good thing about sorbet, is the variety of mixed drinks and other concocsions you can make of it. I forget where exactly, but I remember having some sort of tequila and lemon sorbet mixed drink. Gotta say the tequila sneaks up on you when drinking those slushie mixes.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:21 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
CA- 6% Black
NY- 16% Black

NYC- 2 million of the 2.9 million blacks in NYS live there.
/it

Old 11-16-2011, 07:22 PM

860 posts, read 1,357,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
As much as it must bother you that factually the NYC metro is the most segregated metro in America, what is the point of this thread? Another thread for you to ***** and moan that NYC should win at everything? Get a life.
hey hey hey, let's stay on topic here

Old 11-16-2011, 07:59 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
You see, the good thing about sorbet, is the variety of mixed drinks and other concocsions you can make of it. I forget where exactly, but I remember having some sort of tequila and lemon sorbet mixed drink. Gotta say the tequila sneaks up on you when drinking those slushie mixes.
There used to be small chain of frozen beverage bars around So Cal called "Chillers". Two of the suicides would put you down.

I find a sprinkle of white pepper on sherbet to be just delightful.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:04 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
I feel like going out for gelato now for some reason??

lol

Old 11-16-2011, 08:09 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I feel like going out for gelato now for some reason??

lol
Go to Fentons and try the Fenton's challenge.

That's one thing I was never able to do up there at Berkeley. All my friends would go and I always said "I'll go next week"

Food Spotlight | Fenton’s Challenge: The Story Behind the Feat « randomTIDBITSofthought

Old 11-16-2011, 08:58 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I guess this was true.

Quote:
San Franciscans have a crippling inferiority complex about New York and even hinting at that will make them very sad or very defensive.
#91 San Francisco « Stuff White People Like

Sowwy...didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:18 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
You do realize that many West Indians (which is half the "black" population of NYC) are some part South Asian, some part East Asian, or some part white (or in my case, Jewish), right? That's why we have Jamaican girls walking around with names like Kerry-Ann Fook and Stephanie Levy. So when you talk about miscegenation and fusing cultures, it doesn't really get more pronounced than it does in the West Indies, and by extension, New York City. And I'm not talking about Asian "talking black" and living near black kids. I'm talking about a couple of centuries worth of blending African, Latin, Asian and S. Asian culture. That culture has now been transported to the Boroughs (i.e., Chutney music, roti, etc).

Thanks, British Colonialism!
This is all true. I know Jamaicans with the last name Fung.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:25 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Are you sure about that? I think L.A. and the Bay have a cross-cultural fermentation among African, West Indian and Latin culture that NYC can only dream of replicating.

I mean, if you go to California, you see much more interaction with blacks and Mexicans than you do with, say, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and Jamaicans in New York. Yeah, yeah, Fat Joe, Big Pun, J-Lo and Zoe Saldana are a few notable exceptions, but by and large, NYC is a very segregated place where cultures never get mixed together. You need to go somewhere like East Los Angeles or Compton to truly experience a genuine fusion of all these different cultures.
Subliminal sarcastic jabs towards CA. This should get interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City