Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2011, 03:24 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Crystal City Corridor on the Blue and Yellow Lines extending from downtown D.C. has 11,387,922 of office space. I can't find the office space for the Pentagon City area which would obviously add more to this total. Anyway, here is the link:

Annual Development Summary for Crystal City - Arlington, VA Planning Office
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 03:28 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Allstar at the risk of once again sounding offensive to you and while the stats are cool NYC, Chicago, Boston, SF and Philly all have rail linked suburban centers. Though will agree DC has done a better job on the whole developing such

You should include SS and Bethesda as they are pretty substantial too I would think, oddly the more you link these centers the less efficient the metro plays out in a sense and may speak to the horrible traffic in DC

Old 12-04-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
It isn't; but funny tho. DC has really high ridership, I would have used that angle to if I thought I could get away with it.
Don't mean to be so blunt but, D.C. doesn't compete with anybody but NYC and Chicago in office space so all the other cities were an after thought. I included NYC and Chicago in my comparison. The other cities are pretty far behind. Even from an extension standpoint like Brooklyn/Jersey City for NYC and Arlington, Alexandria for D.C. etc. etc., the rest of the nation is not really close in centralized jobs. Nobody comes anywhere near the top cities.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Allstar at the risk of once again sounding offensive to you and while the stats are cool NYC, Chicago, Boston, SF and Philly all have rail linked suburban centers. Though will agree DC has done a better job on the whole developing such

You should include SS and Bethesda as they are pretty substantial too I would think, oddly the more you link these centers the less efficient the metro plays out in a sense and may speak to the horrible traffic in DC
Which is why we are always expanding. Silver Line through Tyson's Corner, Reston, Herndon, Dulles Corridor, Loudon County. Purple Line being the first in the country to connect the outer suburbs by rail and connect the spokes in the metro. Adding more and more jobs to our Metro system. Always expanding!

Old 12-04-2011, 04:35 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Born View Post

And just for laughs and giggles, since I've noticed there are a couple of big downtown San Jose boosters on this forum who shall go unnamed, let's look at downtown San Jose's office inventory:

San Jose - 7.5
There's one troll posing as a San Jose homer, but I'm sure the complexities of insincerity are above your head. Then again, who's to say you're not a troll just the same, having registered last month (among many other accounts) and presenting this thread just to single out SJ. Kinda lame, you've been trolled so hard that you become that which you hate.

Anyway, SJ's industry is just north of downtown, along a light rail line. Not such a dramatic disparity.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:15 PM

457 posts, read 1,108,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Don't mean to be so blunt but, D.C. doesn't compete with anybody but NYC and Chicago in office space so all the other cities were an after thought. I included NYC and Chicago in my comparison. The other cities are pretty far behind. Even from an extension standpoint like Brooklyn/Jersey City for NYC and Arlington, Alexandria for D.C. etc. etc., the rest of the nation is not really close in centralized jobs. Nobody comes anywhere near the top cities.

Yeah, they are clearly the top 3 when it comes to office jobs.

I am curious how Bos/SF/Phil would do if you looked at total central area jobs. Boston has tons of universities,labs,hospitals that are major employment centers in/near the core.

My guess is the gap would narrow some, but DC would still come out on top.

FWIW, DC is largest employment center when looking at the county level.
DC 702,256
Philly 627,974
Bos (Suffolk County) 574,375
SF 548,638

Source: www.bls.gov/cew

Old 12-04-2011, 09:16 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

I don't believe the poster suggested that other cities don't have rail-linked suburban office hubs.

What are the ones in Philly for example? Do they match up to what's being discussed? This is a serious question, as I'm only familiar with the downtown and some suburbs like KoP.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:43 PM

182 posts, read 301,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
There's one troll posing as a San Jose homer, but I'm sure the complexities of insincerity are above your head. Then again, who's to say you're not a troll just the same, having registered last month (among many other accounts) and presenting this thread just to single out SJ. Kinda lame, you've been trolled so hard that you become that which you hate.

Anyway, SJ's industry is just north of downtown, along a light rail line. Not such a dramatic disparity.
LOL. I may be a troll, but you're a troll AND a liar. I've never made another account here. And if you think I have, please list my other accounts.

The only conclusion that I can draw is that YOU have multiple accounts here. Why do I say that? Because 99% of the time when person A accuses person B of something, it is usually person A who is guilty of that infraction themself. Hey durfy boy?

Old 12-05-2011, 04:46 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon83 View Post
Yeah, they are clearly the top 3 when it comes to office jobs.

I am curious how Bos/SF/Phil would do if you looked at total central area jobs. Boston has tons of universities,labs,hospitals that are major employment centers in/near the core.

My guess is the gap would narrow some, but DC would still come out on top.

FWIW, DC is largest employment center when looking at the county level.
DC 702,256
Philly 627,974
Bos (Suffolk County) 574,375
SF 548,638

Source: www.bls.gov/cew
Remember Cambridge is in Middlesex County and Suffolk county is Boston+Chelsea+Revere for a total of 55 sq Miles with Cambs 6 that matches DC,

Old 12-05-2011, 08:07 AM

457 posts, read 1,108,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Remember Cambridge is in Middlesex County and Suffolk county is Boston+Chelsea+Revere for a total of 55 sq Miles with Cambs 6 that matches DC,
Yeah, I see what your saying. But, I am inclided to leave Cambridge out of it. DC probably has just as many working across the river in Arlington.

If we start playing jujutsu with the borders, DC could swap out Anacostia for Arlington to give its highest employment count in 55 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City