Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 05:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
If I had a quarter for every time I hear a Chicagoan rip on Indy or Indiana at IU I'd have millions. It definitely exists in Bloomington.

Really it's just a culture clash between Lower and Upper midwest which in my experience can be more profound than one thinks.
Interestingly enough, when my ex was at IU the culture clash I observed was considerably more internal than interstate. In fact it was pretty much the most hostile college climate I've ever been exposed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 08:03 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
I would say Chicago is the capital AND king of the midwest.
Well then lets use a little history then to guide us what happens to Kings.
The US overthrew its king and declared Independence.
So the same can happen to Chicago. its not immune to the economic competition of neighboring states.
Heck Indiana already has taken over 20 major businesses from Illinois with most being in Chicagoland. Best one was the American College of Education moving from Chicago to Indianapolis.
Wisconsin is probably doing the same that wouldnt surprise me.
Iowa too.
heck even Michigan might start too since now Illinois has the HIGHEST unemployment rate in the midwest. Getting above michigan in unemployment is not something to celebrate

Old 04-19-2012, 08:10 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
So the same can happen to Chicago. its not immune to the economic competition of neighboring states.
Heck Indiana already has taken over 20 major businesses from Illinois with most being in Chicagoland. Best one was the American College of Education moving from Chicago to Indianapolis.
Iowa too.
heck even Michigan might start too since now Illinois has the HIGHEST unemployment rate in the midwest. Getting above michigan in unemployment is not something to celebrate
You really like to revel in other people's misery, don't you?

I'm not sure I'd call the American College of Education a major business. Furthermore, this post points out the inability of Indiana to foster growth of independent industries and its reliance on siphoning off business from neighboring states...Seems to create a race to the bottom.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:10 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Quote:
Iowa too.
You're really going to brag most about getting an online college to move to Indianapolis???

Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
lol
Chicago is the capital of the midwest but its NOT king of the midwest.
What exactly does this mean? Sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo gibberish to me.

I think of Chicago more as a city counselor chairman in a city council-village manager set up.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:55 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Iowa too.
The USA never used an "overthrow" of a king. The founding father's came to what is now America, removed the Natives, and fought for independence on land far removed from the King of England.

An equivilant would be if the city of Chicago decided it did not want to be in Illinois anymore, packed up and came to Indianapolis, removed its natives, and declared Indianapolis to be Chicago. Then, Illinois leads an attack on the new Chicago and loses. New Chicago gains its independence and calls itself the United City of Wrigley.

I think that is a more plausable scenario than Indianapolis itself ever being more relevant than Chicago.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:05 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
lolol wow so now we're talking about cities overthrowing each other? what the hell.... i think this shows how ridiculous this thread is.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:04 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
lolol wow so now we're talking about cities overthrowing each other? what the hell.... i think this shows how ridiculous this thread is.
Must spread some rep around before giving it to "ForYourLungsOnly" again. Lol since when did we step back into the mid evil times??? Neither city is going to do a damn thing but go about their own businesses. Talking about kings and Chicago and Illinois fighting Chicago and overthrowing entire major cities lol I mean seriously we sound like 12 year olds who read too many comic books.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:22 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Iowa too.
OK, it's just time to tone it down. You're doing yourself a huge disservice and losing credibility in the process.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:41 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Weird comparison/debate. If you put downtown Indy in Chicago, nobody would notice, it would be like a new apartment complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City