Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 12:53 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
I tend to judge a city based on its number of sports teams. No, it is not an exact science but seems to promote their "brand". After talking to my friend, we went back and forth between the accuracy of the scale. He gave examples of Austin and Las Vegas being teamless cities but greater than lower markets like Jacksonville.

U.S. cities with teams from four major league sports - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Remember that LA has 2 basketball teams and 2 baseball teams and let's throw out the anomaly that is Green Bay.

What do you guys think?
I agree that Green Bay should be thrown out, although calling the whole area an abomination seems a little harsh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 12:58 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
I don't particularly think so.

I like going to watch games, and it gives a strong sense of civic pride, no question there.

However, strong loyal team support gives a sort of "big small town" feel more than ones where there is less loyal support, where everyone is from everywhere else.

Nothing wrong with that. In fact that same team support can breed a sense of working together to make the city better, but I think to much sports team support can almost feel the opposite of cosmopolitan.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:17 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I don't particularly think so.

I like going to watch games, and it gives a strong sense of civic pride, no question there.

However, strong loyal team support gives a sort of "big small town" feel more than ones where there is less loyal support, where everyone is from everywhere else.

Nothing wrong with that. In fact that same team support can breed a sense of working together to make the city better, but I think to much sports team support can almost feel the opposite of cosmopolitan.
I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. The first cities that come to mind like that are Pittsburgh-Steelers, Detroit - Red Wings, and Boston - Red Sawx.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:20 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. The first cities that come to mind like that are Pittsburgh-Steelers, Detroit - Red Wings, and Boston - Red Sawx.
I personally found the level of fandom towards the Sox to be extremely irritating when I lived in Boston. In fact, I prefer not to talk sports with them because it typically became an insult fest towards your team of choice.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:12 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
You know its ironic, but I know plenty of people in Santa Clarita and Agoura Hills who are Angels and Ducks fans rather than Dodger and Kings fans, even though these two areas are pretty much an overflow from the SFV. However, don't expect most people in the rest of the country to understand the difference between Anaheim (and OC) vs. LA and LA County culture or distance wise. After all, relatively speaking, the New England Patriots play in Foxborough, which is roughly the same distance from Boston as Anaheim is to DTLA. Does that make them not a Boston team anymore?

For better and for worse, we share the same media market, and have the same access to watch the same sports. Hell, I can tune into AM 830 even here in the San Fernando Valley and listen to Angels broadcasters when I can.

The smallest area with more than two teams in one sport is SF Bay, though the Raiders and Athletics have been recently talking about moving. However, I thought that was interesting. In fact, the city there with the most sports teams within city limits is Oakland (Athletics, Warriors, and Raiders), and not as many would expect, San Francisco.
Totally get it.

The Ducks do try to brand themselves as an Orange County Team. Very similar to the way the Islanders are the Long Island Team and the Devils are the NJ Team. But thats Hockey with a smaller fan base.

The Angels on the other hand, and much to the chagrin of Orange County Fans and the city of Anaheim do try to market themselves as an LA team, hence their stupid Official name of "the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" (and when "Los Angeles" is translated into English it sounds even dumber: "The The Angels Angels of Anaheim")

Lets see what happens if the Sacramento Kings move to Anaheim.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Blows away other 4 team cities in what regard?
I should have also added Two of my favorite cities to NY / Chicago list: DC and Boston)

Just in the amount of activities and amenities that the SoCal provides. Most people around here just don't have the time to watch pro football over the weekend. Too many things to do and the weekend is too short

Old 11-29-2011, 02:17 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
LA has no Football (yet) and still blows away most other 4 team cities (with the exception of NYC/Chicago). People out here tend to be participants, not spectators. There is a reason that the bull of our Olympic team comes from Southern California.

btw: the Angels and the Ducks play in Anaheim, NOT LA.
How Bout the WInter Olympics, most of those people come From Penn North and West.
And, Califronia has Higher obesity rates than Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, New York, Colorado and Connecticut, so they are not more active than other parts of the country.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:09 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I personally found the level of fandom towards the Sox to be extremely irritating when I lived in Boston. In fact, I prefer not to talk sports with them because it typically became an insult fest towards your team of choice.
Same in Chicago between Cubs and White Sox.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:11 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I should have also added Two of my favorite cities to NY / Chicago list: DC and Boston)

Just in the amount of activities and amenities that the SoCal provides. Most people around here just don't have the time to watch pro football over the weekend. Too many things to do and the weekend is too short
Ahhh, I get what you mean now. I thought you were speaking from a sports regard. It's tough to separate the two in threads like this.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
How Bout the Winter Olympics, most of those people come From Penn North and West.
And, Califronia has Higher obesity rates than Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, New York, Colorado and Connecticut, so they are not more active than other parts of the country.
You might be surprised how many winter Olympians are from Southern California. Maybe not as many the traditional winter sports states, but California is very well represented.

(btw, I am originally from NY, and I know quite well that the Northeast is generally healthier than the rest of the country, California included)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City