Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Manhattan vs Westside LA
Manhattan, NY 93 62.84%
Westside, Los Angeles 55 37.16%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 01:24 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
This is true. But there are still lots of people who drive into Manhattan from points outside, as well as lots of visitors in cabs, service vehicles, etc. I was merely pointing out that all major cities have congestion, and while LA's is super well known, it's traffic that moves, whereas if you do get stuck in traffic in Manhattan (seemingly I do every time I need to go out to JFK), it does not move. Similar non-moving city traffic I've experienced in Chicago, SF, and Boston.

And no, it's generally pleasant in Manhattan. I guess I'm guilty of exaggerating, as well. But as opposed to LA, it does get more extreme (heat/humidity in summer which is not necessarily pleasant at all in the subway system, especially when one wears a suit to work, or if you do find yourself in the back of a cab) and cold in the winter (I actually prefer, but wet snow on the ground can be annoying). SoCal weather is pretty much a gold standard.

Regarding the bike - I find it annoying as heck when people always tout it as an option. It's not a viable commuting option for tons of people, likely most. There are good reasons for this.

Going back, I've made it clear I'm all for Manhattan. This is now getting off topic. There are downsides to the commute in both cities, imo, that was all I was getting at. More options in NYC, which I find preferable and I haven't owned a car in years, but I think sitting in your personal Lexus with AC and your soundsystem in LA or any car-city is a little more comfortable, at least.
Ugh not right now. So. Hot. Every. Day.

And I would definitely prefer a commute into Manhattan over a commute into the Westside. In fact I recently turned down a job on the Westside because the commute would be too brutal - coming back from one of the interviews it took me 2 hours to get from Baldwin Hills to downtown Pasadena at around 5 PM. Granted I do live on the far east side of the city and had to go right through the middle of DTLA, but if there was a NYC-esque transit system in place I would have taken that job because what would be a 1.5 hour drive or transit ride (with 4 transfers!) would probably be a 45 minute subway ride in NYC.

I guess I am a little spoiled because LA's transit stops are so comfortable (not too hot or too cold, lots of shade for outdoor stations) and have only ridden the NYC subway a handful of times, and it was in early winter so the stations were very comfortable temperature-wise. If they are anything like Boston's subway stations I get where anonelitist is coming from, I hated waiting in the late August for trains at Park Street Station in Boston, and that is just wearing business casual. I guess that is an aspect to consider but I'd still take those occasional nasty conditions on transit over a long, boring-but-air-conditioned drive on the 10 (though you do get some good city views on the 10 through Mid-City).

Last edited by munchitup; 10-04-2014 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 02:41 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
This is true. But there are still lots of people who drive into Manhattan from points outside, as well as lots of visitors in cabs, service vehicles, etc. I was merely pointing out that all major cities have congestion, and while LA's is super well known, it's traffic that moves, whereas if you do get stuck in traffic in Manhattan (seemingly I do every time I need to go out to JFK), it does not move. Similar non-moving city traffic I've experienced in Chicago, SF, and Boston.

And no, it's generally pleasant in Manhattan. I guess I'm guilty of exaggerating, as well. But as opposed to LA, it does get more extreme (heat/humidity in summer which is not necessarily pleasant at all in the subway system, especially when one wears a suit to work, or if you do find yourself in the back of a cab) and cold in the winter (I actually prefer, but wet snow on the ground can be annoying). SoCal weather is pretty much a gold standard.

Regarding the bike - I find it annoying as heck when people always tout it as an option. It's not a viable commuting option for tons of people, likely most. There are good reasons for this.

Going back, I've made it clear I'm all for Manhattan. This is now getting off topic. There are downsides to the commute in both cities, imo, that was all I was getting at. More options in NYC, which I find preferable and I haven't owned a car in years, but I think sitting in your personal Lexus with AC and your soundsystem in LA or any car-city is a little more comfortable, at least.
Understood about the weather. Though your bike post i dont agree with; in the context of this argument maybe its true in West Side in LA, but it is a viable option now in Manhattan, especially with the rollout of Citibike.

And whether its traffic that moves constantly vs. standstill i cant comment, but traffic is traffic to me, and its a matter of how long as opposed to how it moves. I see LA and NYC are always at the top 10 lists/studies so its just splitting hairs.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:57 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I don't think there are more people commuting from DTLA to the Westside. However there are a lot of people headed to the Westside from areas near DTLA and points east. Basically in LA, there are hardly any reverse commutes.
My wife is one of those people- she commutes from DTLA to Santa Monica every day. Trying to figure out a way to shorten her commute, but alas- most of the tech jobs are clustered along the coast, and neither one of us wants to live anywhere else in LA besides DTLA.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:08 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Westside. I don't really like NYC.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:21 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
My wife is one of those people- she commutes from DTLA to Santa Monica every day. Trying to figure out a way to shorten her commute, but alas- most of the tech jobs are clustered along the coast, and neither one of us wants to live anywhere else in LA besides DTLA.
Is the Expo line going to help her? My wife has to go to appearances in MDR and her secret shortcut from DTLA to the Westside is MLK Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City