Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 11:57 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
Well, snow depth is a prerequisite for good cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. Take a look at this map:
http://hurricane.ncdc.noaa.gov/climaps/snow32c.pdf

That doesn't tell you everything about quality, but it's a start.
I don't really like a lot of snow that often. Many people are the same. Lots of snow all winter is not a good winter to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 12:36 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Probably because Chicago is the bigger city so it gets more attention. When the extremes occur for Chicago, it's highlighted more than most other cities, especially Denver which is not nearly the size of Chicago in virtually anything. When you have some days where highs barely get to the teens, and usually a couple days throughout the season it doesn't get above 10 degrees, and you have lows in the single digits or below single digits that same night plus the wind chill, people will point out that. I don't know for sure. But I believe cold snaps last longer in the Midwest than they do in Denver.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:56 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Why does every chi denver comparison thread end up with better weather being denver.

Denver has earlier snowfalls and subzero temps and also they go away later.
Denvers temperatures have wild swings which keeps one from adjusting to the weather.

Why is chicago weather always blown out of proportion?
People that move here (Denver) from the Midwest always say that Denver's winters are milder. We get breaks from the cold, our snow does not stick around and get hard and dirty (generally).

I've never experienced a Chicago winter, but I'm on my fifth Denver winter (which does last over half the year), and I'm a Cali boy and handle it just fine. We had 6" today, and 4.5" Thursday. It's beautiful, but it is always a PITA to drive in (I don't know how well CHI keeps up its roads, they do a terrible job here IMO). It's safe to say that by Tuesday or Wednesday you'll be able to see brown grass again.

If you look at the temps of each city, Chicago's average temps are much colder than Denver, for instance, the average high in January in Denver is like 43, in Chicago it is like 29.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:25 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
b/c denver is a lottt sunnier than Chicago in the winter, and averages a 44 high in January (which melts snow quickly), whereas Chicago is 30?

Average highs for Denver Dec/Jan/Feb = 44/43/47
Chicago = 35/29/36 ...

Quite a difference actually...plus you can actually go ski.

Chicago will also normally go about 6-7 weeks straight every year where the temp NEVER gets above freezing. This doesn't happen in Denver plus again, it's much sunnier.
I like Chicago a lot, but the weather is most certainly not a strong point.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:29 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
I'm in Denver with my family until after christmas. There is about 5-6 inches on the ground..however, the sun is shinning, and the snow is starting to melt already. Denver still has a warmer climate and isnt as blistering cold as the midwest (including chicago). Chicago gets less snow..however, it is colder throughout the year than Denver is. Also, don't forget about the humidity that makes chicagos winters even worst.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:40 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Yeah ok.
I'm here in my 50 degree temps with no snow in the 7 day

Old 12-03-2011, 03:43 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Yeah ok.
That is normal, the snow doesn't really start til early-mid Dec anyway, hence why the 2" snow signs say Dec 1-April 1st. then continues through the end of March and often some still in April (like this year). It isn't the snow that is the issue, lots of people LIKE white snow. It's the lack of sun and freezing temps (esp daytime) Chicago winters are definitely significantly colder, more brutal cold days, and quite a bit less sunny days.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:47 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Yeah ok.
Check our 7-day when you guys get your first snowstorm.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:51 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,999 times
Climatology Comparison for Chicago, IL (60604) - weather.com

Denver is colder at night year round.

But Denver is considered a "better" climate due to periodic breaks from the cold due to its sunny weather and significantly higher day time highs in the winter.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:00 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
i personally don't want it to be 50 one day and 23 the next. I like regular 4 seasons. just like many people do. it was snowing significantly in denver in october. no thanks. if that's your cup of tea, cool. but this is citydata, opinions and preferances aren't allowed. We must officially dub one city to have better weather in general and officially apply it to everyone. keep on fightin'!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City