Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 12:48 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,290,202 times

Advertisements

Take a look at this google streetview of a wall of residential housing that is common in San Francisco. Is there anything comparable in North American outside of NYC? Take a look 180 degrees, and don't answer without looking at the streetview first. If the answer is yes, post a google streetview of it.

san francisco - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 01:32 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,963,791 times
Boston: boston - Google Maps

Philly: philadelphia - Google Maps

Baltimore: baltimore - Google Maps

Old 12-17-2011, 02:26 AM

443 posts, read 878,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Interestingly, from the streetviews the only one that compares as a "wall" is Baltimore.

This isn't a wall, but a few more cool SF residential views:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=san+fr...,,0,-2.02&z=15

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=san+fr...,,0,-2.15&z=15

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=san+fr...,,0,-8.21&z=15

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=san+fr...,,0,-4.95&z=15

Last edited by Relegate; 12-17-2011 at 03:00 AM..

Old 12-17-2011, 03:08 AM

124 posts, read 153,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Take a look at this google streetview of a wall of residential housing that is common in San Francisco. Is there anything comparable in North American outside of NYC? Take a look 180 degrees, and don't answer without looking at the streetview first. If the answer is yes, post a google streetview of it.

san francisco - Google Maps

I looked around that neighbourhood on Street View and noticed some of the houses have steel bars on the windows and doors. Is that a high crime neighbourhood?

Old 12-17-2011, 04:14 AM

14,705 posts, read 14,677,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoMa69 View Post
I looked around that neighbourhood on Street View and noticed some of the houses have steel bars on the windows and doors. Is that a high crime neighbourhood?
If you're referring to the windows which are directly on the street level, within arms reach, it's called common sense. Gated entryways are standard in pretty much every city.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:18 AM

124 posts, read 153,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Gated entryways are standard in pretty much every city.
Maybe in your country, not in mine. I can't ever recall seeing steel gates on doors or windows or a house in my city. And I've lived here more than 20 years. The building I live in has ground floor apartments with sliding windows that open directly to the outside, and none of them have steel bars or anything similar.

Here are four of the most high-crime, low income neighbourhoods in Toronto. They have thousands of houses, duplexes, rowhomes, and ground floor apartments that open up directly to the sidewalk. Look around on Google Street View and try to find a single one with steel bars on the window. I've been to all these neighbourhoods many times, and have never seen steel bars or a gated entryway on any of the homes. And if you think I'm cherry-picking, look around any neighbourhood anywhere in Toronto (probably anywhere in Canada, though I'm not familiar with every city in Canada, some might have steel bars on house windows) and try to find windows with steel bars or gated entryways.

Personally, I'd feel like I was in a prison cell if I had steel bars on my windows. I guess some people like the look though.

Regent Park:

High Line Park, 529 West 20th Street, Suite 8W, New York, NY 10011 - Google Maps

St. Lawrence:

High Line Park, 529 West 20th Street, Suite 8W, New York, NY 10011 - Google Maps

Bloordale Village:

Jane and Finch:

Edit: I was in Seattle 6 or 7 years ago and don't remember seeing steel bars on house windows. Granted, I didn't spend a lot of time walking down residential streets.

Last edited by YoYoMa69; 12-17-2011 at 05:25 AM..

Old 12-17-2011, 04:44 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,803,194 times
These recent comparisons between San Francisco and New York City are getting ridiculous. I feel like San Francisco is the new "Chicago" in this instance.

Yes, both are dense cities, but so are Baltimore, DC, Boston, Philly, and Chicago.

I can tell you with great confidence that the only real city that can compare to NYC is .... well, NYC. NOT SF. Sorry.

A little boulevard of two story row-homes that you show from Google Maps is not proof that SF feels like Manhattan.... People will easily show up other streets from other cities that look the same way (as people already are.... theory disproven).

I love San Francisco. But please. There is not a single spot in the city where I feel like I'm in New York. Not one.

And that's not an insult either.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:42 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,788,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
These recent comparisons between San Francisco and New York City are getting ridiculous. I feel like San Francisco is the new "Chicago" in this instance.

Yes, both are dense cities, but so are Baltimore, DC, Boston, Philly, and Chicago.

I can tell you with great confidence that the only real city that can compare to NYC is .... well, NYC. NOT SF. Sorry.

A little boulevard of two story row-homes that you show from Google Maps is not proof that SF feels like Manhattan.... People will easily show up other streets from other cities that look the same way (as people already are.... theory disproven).

I love San Francisco. But please. There is not a single spot in the city where I feel like I'm in New York. Not one.

And that's not an insult either.
I couldn't have said it better. No part of San Francisco looks like NYC. I'll leave it to others as to whether that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:44 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,658,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
Interestingly, from the streetviews the only one that compares as a "wall" is Baltimore.
I'm not really sure what we're supposed to be comparing. The OP streetview of SF looks nothing like NYC, and these are all just streets full of rowhouses.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:46 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,978,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post

Agree all of these have aspects at least debateable

I also think places like DC have some very interesting housing and smaller cities like Charleston SC are pretty fantastic as well.

Most of this will come down preference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City