Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 11:56 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

I've been watching those "Stuff People Say" videos and thought some key things were left out in a couple.

In the DC video, for example, somebody definitely should have said, "So...are you going to happy hour after work?" Happy Hour is the equivalent of church in DC. I found it hard to go a week in DC without somebody saying:

"Hey dude, the Daughters of the American Revolution are having a happy hour tonight at Local 16. Trying to roll?"

"Hey dude, the National Council of Negro Women is having a happy hour tonight at Policy. Trying to roll?"

"Hey dude, the Association for Women in Astrophysics is having a happy hour tonight at the Air and Space Museum. Trying to roll?"

"Hey dude, the Association for International al-Qaeda operatives is having a happy hour tonight at Jospehine's. Trying to roll?"

D.C. Among the Best Cities at Happy Hour | NBC4 Washington

New York, I think, is very different. Many people don't get off work until 10 or 11 (or later). For people who live on the Island, I think the tendency is to actually go home, change, and then go out to a bar or club that night. Then people play it cool on the weekends. In DC, on the other hand, it's happy hour during the week, and then people swarm U Street/Adams-Morgan on the weekends.

Anyways, does your city have more of a happy hour/after work scene or a club/late night scene?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 12:13 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,384 times
Austin definitely has both, but leans more towards the late night...I think people here just take any opportunity to kick back & drink Every bar around here has happy-hours and most are great..I had a short-stint as a UT grad student, and mostly social stuff was centered around happy hour, whereas undergrads (of age) were much more into the Dirty 6th late night pub-crawl/bar-hopping thing. Thurs thru Saturday late night the bars are jam-packed, but happy hour gets busy with the young professional types, especially on Thurs/Fri.

A typical Fri night would be: get off work/class, go to happy hour, go home and change/clean up, pre-game at someone's house, have dinner at a food trailer, then hit up the bars for some great live music. Rinse, repeat on Sat night.

We rarely go out to into the late night scene, let alone 6th Street but we LOVE happy hour!

Old 01-20-2012, 12:28 PM

3,863 posts, read 5,288,028 times
"Happy Hour" in the Drinking sense is banned here, which is just stupid IMO. So Happy Hour more means discounted food to go with your Drinks, than just drinking on its own. To compensate for that though, most bars in Boston do pour a stiff drink if that is any consolation.

There is definitely a strong after work bar scene and late night as well here. Its tough to find a space at the popular bars near the Financial District for example.

I love DC's Happy Hour scene though. I spend at least a couple days in DC every month because of work and have my favorites depending on which hotel I'm staying or which "Think Tank" I'm working with. I am usually at the Omni Shoreham though hotel wise and I love going to Medaterra for $4 Martini's, the bartenders there have the heaviest hand I have found in DC

Last edited by edwardsyzzurphands; 01-20-2012 at 12:42 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I am usually at the Omni Shoreham though hotel wise and I love going to Medaterra for $4 Martini's, the bartenders there have the heaviest hand I have found in DC
I like Medaterra as well. I'd also put Barcode on my short list. The happy hours there are pretty lively.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:54 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I've been watching those "Stuff People Say" videos and thought some key things were left out in a couple.

In the DC video, for example, somebody definitely should have said, "So...are you going to happy hour after work?" Happy Hour is the equivalent of church in DC. I found it hard to go a week in DC without somebody saying:

"Hey dude, the Daughters of the American Revolution are having a happy hour tonight at Local 16. Trying to roll?"

"Hey dude, the National Council of Negro Women is having a happy hour tonight at Policy. Trying to roll?"

"Hey dude, the Association for Women in Astrophysics is having a happy hour tonight at the Air and Space Museum. Trying to roll?"

"Hey dude, the Association for International al-Qaeda operatives is having a happy hour tonight at Jospehine's. Trying to roll?"

D.C. Among the Best Cities at Happy Hour | NBC4 Washington

New York, I think, is very different. Many people don't get off work until 10 or 11 (or later). For people who live on the Island, I think the tendency is to actually go home, change, and then go out to a bar or club that night. Then people play it cool on the weekends. In DC, on the other hand, it's happy hour during the week, and then people swarm U Street/Adams-Morgan on the weekends.

Anyways, does your city have more of a happy hour/after work scene or a club/late night scene?
Based on my experience NYC is the oddball on the later scene in general; though there is no shortage of HH activity either (just more of everything)

One thing I have seen in a couple of cities I have lived is residents go out more on weeknights and weekend bring in the bridge and tunnel crowd so-to-speak. Have seen this in Philly and SF, and even DC to a lessor extent

Old 01-20-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
One thing I have seen in a couple of cities I have lived is residents go out more on weeknights and weekend bring in the bridge and tunnel crowd so-to-speak. Have seen this in Philly and SF, and even DC to a lessor extent
I think DC is the exact opposite of what you said. U Street on your typical Wednesday night is kinda dead...even during the Spring and Summer. Most people are at home preparing for work the next day. People are so career-focused there that you really don't see huge crowds out after 9 the way you do in NYC.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:02 PM

515 posts, read 986,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
New York, I think, is very different. Many people don't get off work until 10 or 11 (or later). For people who live on the Island, I think the tendency is to actually go home, change, and then go out to a bar or club that night. Then people play it cool on the weekends. In DC, on the other hand, it's happy hour during the week, and then people swarm U Street/Adams-Morgan on the weekends.?
I really don't know what you're talking about, New York has a pretty significant happy hour scene (it has a late night scene as you describe as well). I've been living in NY for 7 years, 4 of them working post-grad school and have never gone out for happy hour more in my life. Go to Stone Street in the Financial District after 6 pm in the summer, it's packed. There's tons of fun places to go when the weather is cold as well. People go out a lot on the weekends as well, but I'm more of a bar person than a club person.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose, I don't think you can generalize a whole city's social scene based your own habits anyway.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:57 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
I definitely see much more of a HH scene in Philly than I did when living in Houston. Since so many folks live and work in Center City, it it common to see people congregate in bars and cafes after work. There are even websites touting the HH offerings at scores of watering holes: Drink Philly - The Best Happy Hours, Drinks & Bars in Philadelphia. At 5 p.m. in Houston, on the other hand, it is more common to see people in line for the park rides buses away from downtown.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:33 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
"hey, I'm cutting out for a bit, the waves are really going off"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City