Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2023, 04:50 PM

4,536 posts, read 5,103,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
It ain't all about looks. No question Downtown Detroit is more visually varied/ interesting. Griswold Street- I've been in that large building- the Guardian building. But Downtown DC is a lot more vibrant, larger, and blends a lot better into surrounding areas.

The primary DC poster is higher on Downtown Detroit than I am to be fair.
DC's office buildings, on average, are just plain ugly: glass, steel, or concrete boxes where, of course, the Capitol building height restriction robs the city of anything really majestic. Downtown Detroit's gorgeous old buildings, such as the Guardian, blow DC out of the water... It's the interspersing gorgeous old (often 19th-century) rowhouse residential areas in downtown DC that make it special. Few cities have this, esp ones off the Colonial-era East Coast (before you say it: we know DC technically is post-Colonial because it was laid out after the American Revolution, but it still was developed close enough in time, and physical distance, to have Colonial city characteristics).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2023, 05:04 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
I feel like Cincinnati has potential to get up some day. It’s one of the few “good bones” cities that are actually growing. Although I think it’s starting to run into a modal share issue where as long as people are driving and residents need cars. The density of residents, attractions and amenities and such is going to flat line

Old 10-16-2023, 05:48 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
DC's office buildings, on average, are just plain ugly: glass, steel, or concrete boxes where, of course, the Capitol building height restriction robs the city of anything really majestic. Downtown Detroit's gorgeous old buildings, such as the Guardian, blow DC out of the water... It's the interspersing gorgeous old (often 19th-century) rowhouse residential areas in downtown DC that make it special. Few cities have this, esp ones off the Colonial-era East Coast (before you say it: we know DC technically is post-Colonial because it was laid out after the American Revolution, but it still was developed close enough in time, and physical distance, to have Colonial city characteristics).
I"ve never been to D.C., and up to this point, I"ve assumed that D.C. has some really amazing parts of downtown that I've just never seen photo/video of.

Now I"'m starting to understand the reason why pretty much all "establishing shots"in TV/movies of D.C. are of monuments and the Capitol.

I don't know if I can buy into height restrictions as a reason for D.C.'s downtown homogenization, as Los Angeles had height restrictions allowing them to build just 20 feet taller up until 1958, and they were able to produce streets like this under those constraints:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0437...8192?entry=ttu

Old 10-16-2023, 06:15 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,326,728 times
Quote:
DC’s height limit is based on street width, not the Capitol Building. Buildings can be built as high as the street is wide +20’ (street width include sidewalks)

Old 10-16-2023, 06:18 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,121,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I feel like Cincinnati has potential to get up some day. It’s one of the few “good bones” cities that are actually growing. Although I think it’s starting to run into a modal share issue where as long as people are driving and residents need cars. The density of residents, attractions and amenities and such is going to flat line
I havent visited Cincinnati yet, but it's core seems similarly built to Pittsburgh and other East Coast cities as opposed to Midwest cities. Also, the urban neighborhoods outside of the downtown area contribute to its core and have tons of nightlife and entertainment much like DC, Boston, Philly, and NYC.

Old 10-16-2023, 06:29 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I havent visited Cincinnati yet, but it's core seems similarly built to Pittsburgh and other East Coast cities as opposed to Midwest cities. Also, the urban neighborhoods outside of the downtown area contribute to its core and have tons of nightlife and entertainment much like DC, Boston, Philly, and NYC.
“the basin” in 1880 has something like 52,000 ppsm. Unfortunately it lost about 88% of its population since then. (Tbh losing like 50% was pretty necessary for anything resembling modern living standards you see similar drops in like the LES o Manhattan)

It’s a generation older than Cleveland/Detroit/Milwaukee and as a result was built as a walking city vs streetcar city. But never completed its subway and went all in on Freeways flattening the west end and cutting off Mt Adams. But about 2.5 sq miles is still pretty cohesive.

OTR or Downtown having lots of parking isn’t super noticeable until you start walking around to do things rather than just like wandering and realize how much further things are away from each other compared to like Boston’s Chinatown or North End. It’s still walkable but a block walk becomes a 3 block or 4 block walk to get to XYZ.

Even if in passing it actually looks really similar.

Old 10-16-2023, 08:28 PM

4,536 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
DC’s height limit is based on street width, not the Capitol Building. Buildings can be built as high as the street is wide +20’ (street width include sidewalks)
Whatever the case, there are no high-rise office buildings in downtown DC, just a lot of bland, horizontal boxes.

Old 10-16-2023, 10:26 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I"ve never been to D.C., and up to this point, I"ve assumed that D.C. has some really amazing parts of downtown that I've just never seen photo/video of.

Now I"'m starting to understand the reason why pretty much all "establishing shots"in TV/movies of D.C. are of monuments and the Capitol.

I don't know if I can buy into height restrictions as a reason for D.C.'s downtown homogenization, as Los Angeles had height restrictions allowing them to build just 20 feet taller up until 1958, and they were able to produce streets like this under those constraints:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0437...8192?entry=ttu
The reality is, most downtown’s in America could fit 2-3 times within DC’s downtown. You should look around the Penn Quarter neighborhood for some architecturally pleasing buildings. You’ve been looking at the Golden Triangle which is going to be bland.

Old 10-16-2023, 10:32 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,326,728 times
Quote:
Whatever the case, there are no high-rise office buildings in downtown DC, just a lot of bland, horizontal boxes.
DC has historic architecture within its downtown, it's just proportionally a lot less than what you'd find in Chicago, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, Boston, Detroit, etc..

Old 10-16-2023, 10:38 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Berlin would be nice. Lots of nice downtowns on rivers out there. Prague is closer in population size, I guess?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
The problem with the Mississippi is it is a working river and I've heard the current is strong.

I would love to see Prague mentioned to some of the leaders in St Louis as a model city. The mindset doesn't go that far in most midsized cities.
Warsaw and Perth come to mind as well, which have active downtowns and extensive mass transit. I feel like St. Louis is too urban to look to cities like Minneapolis or Detroit to model its downtown, especially in terms of mass transit. With the right investment it could be better. I think Boston (shopping, neighborhood, commercial/entertainment districts) and some aspects of DC (infill projects/streetscape/roundabouts) make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City