Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: KC vs Sac
Kansas City 78 50.65%
Sacramento 76 49.35%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 12:10 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times

Advertisements

KC has one of the top new coasters right now, the prowler. Here are some of KC's coasters:

http://www.negative-g.com/WorldsofFun/2007/WOF-9-22-2007-Mamba-2.jpg (broken link)

KC Zoo

The KC Zoo has an amazing non caged section call Africa. It's huge and lets the animals roam in a natural environment

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 12:18 PM

I understand that KC is no Chicago or SF. But I'm telling you, few people have any idea just how much there is to do in KC, how urban KC is how much culture there is in KC. It's a freaking secret to 99% of the country.

They just don't know.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:02 PM

934 posts, read 1,442,174 times
Kansas City really does have some fine culture. As for the surrounding areas, I think people often underrate the beauty of Kansas landscape. Eastern Kansas is really not as flat as a pancake... My favorite spot to visit is the Flint Hills that run through Manhattan to the south. And I love the Konza. In the end some people will chose Sacramento because Kansas will always be "fly over country". Personally I like the empty space, and I'm a sucker for Midwestern storms...they are a sight to behold...if you're not in the basement.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Kansas City really does have some fine culture. As for the surrounding areas, I think people often underrate the beauty of Kansas landscape. Eastern Kansas is really not as flat as a pancake... My favorite spot to visit is the Flint Hills that run through Manhattan to the south. And I love the Konza. In the end some people will chose Sacramento because Kansas will always be "fly over country". Personally I like the empty space, and I'm a sucker for Midwestern storms...they are a sight to behold...if you're not in the basement.
I agree. Kansas is actually a pretty state. Eastern Kansas and the Flint Hills are interesting to drive through. But if you live in KC, most people don't go to Kansas for recreation. There is not a lot there to make it a day trip as it's not very commercialized (which is part of its beauty). But Kansas is not an ugly state. There are some ugly, boring states in the midwest, but Kansas is not one of them IMO.

KC people generally head to Mid-Missouri for weekends when they want recreation. They go to the Lake of the Ozarks, Osage Beach, Truman Lake etc. "The Lake" as people call it even has a "KC side" and a "StL side" because StL does the same thing. Many people in KC keep boats and lake homes in mid missouri and go there on weekends. There are even traffic jams on 70, 50 and 71 heading out of the metro on Fridays and back in on Sunday afternoons. And once again, MO has St Louis, which is a great weekend trip (we used to go about once a month) and Branson (which I personally can't stand) is a huge national tourist trap as well and great for family weekend trips. Kids love Silver Dollar City etc. The KC area itself has some pretty nice large lakes and state parks. Smithville Lake etc are very large and right in the metro. Also, KC has some of the best and well known mountain biking trails in the country. Having good single track trail in the rolling forested hills of suburban KC is great for the locals and I have ridden trails in Colorado, Utah, British Columbia, Pennsylvania, West Virginia etc and if I like what KC has, I would say it’s good for your back yard. So it’s not like KC is void of recreation. It’s just not on the level of California obviously.

And while further away (9-10 hours), Colorado’s high country is relatively close to KC compared to many cities and KC people ski a lot. Think about how many times people go hard core skiing a year. Typically once or twice. Well that works perfectly for KC. KC has a large ski community and many people go to CO for skiing at least once a year (probably no less than the average Californian skis. We would go at least twice a year to CO because I liked to mountain bike in the summer too.

Oh and KC does have a local ski place that is just as nice as the local ski places here in the DC area (only it's closer to KC than those here are to DC). So if you just want to hit the slopes and be home for dinner or go midnight skiing, you can do that in KC. Westin, Missouri is about a half hour from downtown kcmo.

Last edited by kcmo; 04-21-2012 at 02:59 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 02:29 PM

Sports in KC is a tier above Sac.

Kauffman Stadium just completed a major renovation (although the team sill needs renovating)

Sporting Kansas City MLS play in new soccer stadium in KCK

Arrowhead has also been renovated and it a great modern venue now

KC has a major speedway that hosts many major events and they are adding a road track to the 100,000 seat facility

Arena Football League

Central Hockey League Mavericks and MISL Soccer Comets play in a suburban KC arena

Minor League Baseball Kansas City Tbones play in KCK

Kansas City Exployers Tennis play in downtown KCMO

Sprint Center may not have a NBA or NHL team, but KC hosts many NCAA regular season basketball games (MIZZOU, KU etc) as well as major tournements.

KC also hosts some pretty big NCAA college football games:

Last edited by kcmo; 04-22-2012 at 02:48 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 02:33 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
I'm so sick of this, that I finally voted...for Kansas City. Why? I took out Sacto's proximity to Tahoe and the Bay Area, and let Sacto stand alone. Why? When you evaluate Philadelphia, you don't say that it's 95 miles from NYC, because most people generally won't go to NYC every weekend seeking to "escape" Philly. You evaluate it on its own merits.

Also, KC is a major metro area and has more corporations and industries than does Sacto. They are on different tiers.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm so sick of this, that I finally voted...for Kansas City. Why? I took out Sacto's proximity to Tahoe and the Bay Area, and let Sacto stand alone. Why? When you evaluate Philadelphia, you don't say that it's 95 miles from NYC, because most people generally won't go to NYC every weekend seeking to "escape" Philly. You evaluate it on its own merits.

Also, KC is a major metro area and has more corporations and industries than does Sacto. They are on different tiers.
That's all I was ever trying to say. thanks.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:20 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,206,327 times
Well I've never been to either city and Initially I would say sacramento but after going through this thread, kansas City is on my list of cities to visit. it looks freaking awesome. If kansas City had an NBA team I'd consider living there as that is important to me. In all Kansas Cities suburbs and architecture is just amazing wow. Never knew what the city looked like or anything of that nature. Nice looking city and never hear anything about it. However, I'd choose sac simply because it seems to have better public transit, an NBA team, and is a much closer trip to the ocean and other sports teams as well as another major metro.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:30 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,816 times
Shopping: Sacramento
Economy: Kansas City
Downtown Area: Sacramento
Schools: Sacramento
Housing Prices: Kansas City
Universities: Sacramento
Climate/Weather: Sacramento
Public Transit: Sacramento
Better Traffic: Kansas City
Scenery: Sacramento
Better Vibe(To you): Sacramento
the one you choose: Sacramento

Old 04-24-2012, 07:07 AM

Here are a couple of new panos of Sacramento took while in town:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City