Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: KC vs Sac
Kansas City 78 50.65%
Sacramento 76 49.35%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 09:36 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I've been over this with you. I have been to Kansas city. I know you guys have more sports venues. But you have yet to offer any quantifiable data that suggests that Kc wins handily any type of cultural options or amenities outside of that.

It's not like your cuisine is blowing us away, its not like your museums are blowing us away, or your arts, it's not like your walkablity or transit is blowing us away. I'm going to be in Kansas City for business the first week in June, and I don't assume much has changed since I've been out there in last 5 years..
Sports facility alone kinda sets KC apart. KC has a new 300 million dollar arena. While they don't have NHL or NBA, the arena is one of the busiest concert venues in the world and KC host all sorts of college basketball tournaments. Then KC just did a 3/4 billion dollar renovation of Kauffman Stadium (home of this year's all star game) and Arrowhead Stadium. That's right, KC has the top two sports leagues (NFL and MLB). KC has one of the finest soccer specific MLS stadiums in the nation, a large speedway and several minor league teams that place in first class facilities.

KC just opened a 420 million dollar performing arts center, has a fantastic world class art museum, a union station that most cities would die to have, and is home to the National World War I museum and monument, which is one of the best attractions in the Midwest and rivals anything in DC.

KC has one large amusement park and two large water parks, a very impressive live theater scene, one of the largest art gallery districts in the country and several large urban entertainment districts.

KC has the Country Club Plaza, that alone sets it apart from many cities of similar size.

KC has a great Zoo, many very good museums besides the Nelson and WWI, like the Kemper Modern Art, Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, American Jazz Museum, Steamboat Arabia Museum.

KC is a great 3-4 day vacation city, it really is. I didn't get that from Sac. Why would people visit sac when they can go to SF? It is what it is.

As far as walkablility. KC has some great walkable urban neighborhoods. And while KC does not have light rail, it has a pretty good bus system in the core with a nice fleet of modern buses that work well for residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 10:06 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Here are some pics of some of KC's signature structures and attractions.

Kauffman Metropolitan Preforming Arts Center. Home of the Kansas City Symphony, Kansas City Ballet and the Lyric Opera of Kansas City.

Union Station

Nelson Atkins Museum of Art

WWI Monument and Museum

Sprint Center

Arrowhead:

Kauffman:

Livestrong:

Starlight:

Worlds of Fun

Country Club Plaza

Old 04-15-2012, 10:39 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
KCMO is a much nicer city than most people give it credit for... I liked it when I visited two years ago. That being said, like others have mentioned I prefer the culture of Northern California so I'd pick Sac.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:49 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
No, but I have been to KC and, if you read my first post, you would see that my opinion was qualified and I could not vote because I considered the "radius" factor of these metro areas. But the Central Valley cities along I-5 are "the armpit of California," and NOT coined by me, from Bakersfield to Redding.
If you think Sacramento is comparable to Bakersfield and Redding, you are being absurd. Sacramento is on another level from the other Central Valley cities, and in addition, it is the capitol of CA.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:14 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Your opinons are quite nonsense. But did your friend go to Kansas City in comparison? No, she didn't. So you aren't really adding anything here.
Yea I think it was funny he tried to fault Sac for Marconi and sunrise, both of which sit in declining suburbs some 10 miles from the city limit. Heh. Like I said before, you have to compare similar areas, look at the worst areas of KC and tell me if you can find stuff like that in Sac. There are years KCK and KCMO have more murders combined than the entire sac metro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Sports facility alone kinda sets KC apart.

I believe I made that distinction. With regard to cultural facilities, that has already been covered in the past, I shown you what we have.

Quote:
KC is a great 3-4 day vacation city, it really is. I didn't get that from Sac. Why would people visit sac when they can go to SF? It is what it is.
Sacramento is a diverse family friendly city with great weather. I did not get that from KC. Why would people visit KC when they can go to Denver or Chicago? They don't call it fly over country for nothin', at least people pass thru Sac. It is what it is.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:47 PM

628 posts, read 1,436,570 times
I could never bring myself to live in Kansas City. I chose Sac for the music, art, weather, transit, walkability, trees, close proximity to the bay area, mountains, fresh produce, lovely countryside, moderate COL compared to other CA cities. Sac is also far more vegan/vegetarian friendly. A matter of preference for me.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:00 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,933 times
The pictures of KC look great and all, and I agree, that it has more destinations than Sac. But just the thought of being in the Plains and surrounded by the Bible Belt culture thoroughly depresses me without even having to be there.

Norcal's got such a welcoming, vibrant and diverse cultural atmosphere, and Sacramento is very much part of that. Had a beautiful day today in the Land Park neighborhood, stepped into a busy open house there were local folks of all different backgrounds, a White Male/Black Female couple, an Intel engineer of Black/Puerto Rican heritage (works in Folsom, but lives in Land Park because of the culture), a young Chinese American female realtor, a middle aged white lesbian couple, and everyone was having great conversations and getting along, talking about how great the neighborhood was.

It made me think about this thread because I had just gotten off the computer not long before then, and made me realize, hey KC can have that nice stadium and that arena, but it's not going to beat the organic, diverse culture that is staple to Northern California.

Just thinking of being around a society where creationism can actually be held up as a valid theory, it just makes my head hurt. Yeah, thanks but no thanks. Sac has already gone through a great deal of urban renewal, once it gets the railyards developed and completes other major urban projects in the center city and West Sac, I think it will easily pull away from cities like Kansas City.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 AM

979 posts, read 2,092,965 times
Sacramento all the way. We are nestled in beautiful Northern California, less than two hours away from Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, Napa, mountains and snow. Sacramento proper is filled with tree-lined streets, Victorians, walkable neighborhoods, the American River parkway (downtown to Folsom) provides loads of outdoor water activity from rafting, kayaking, hiking trails, boating, and so much more. The central city's cultural amenities are abundant and midtown continues to blossom into the cultural hub of the region.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:12 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
As a bmxer I also must admitt we have some of the best skateparks in the world too. granite skatepark and tanzanite=zomg

Sacramento’s Best Skate Parks « CBS Sacramento
Map to Granite Reginonal Skate Park

Old 04-16-2012, 12:13 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,811 times
I have traveled to both cities and know them fairly well.

Shopping: KC- I enjoyed Country Club Plaza. Very clean. Big mall in Independence too!
Economy: Draw- Both are heavy in the agriculture industry
Downtown Area:KC- It's quite a bit more urban than Sacramento
Schools:Unknown
Housing Prices: Prior to 2006, Sacramento wasn't that cheap. Now, who knows?
Universities: KC- They have KU just across the river. There is UC Davis, but far less prominent.
Climate/Weather:Sacramento wins hands down
Public Transit:Unknown
Better Traffic:Both cities are intersected by two major interstates with one "Loop/contributary" Interstate. It's a toss up IMO
Scenery:
Better Vibe(To you):
the one you choose:
I choose KC simply due to the BBQ. Gates and Arthur Bryants is awesome!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City