Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Bay/Boston mostly feel like metros of
4.4 million/4.5 million 6 28.57%
7.5 million/7.6 million 11 52.38%
something near 6 million [in between MSA and CSA stats] 5 23.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:48 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,253,563 times

Advertisements

IMO Boston is easily a metropolis that feels at least 7 -7.5 million and much larger than 4.5 million. The Bay feels like a metropolis of 7.5 million off the bat. I don't see either of these two metros as being only 1/1.5 million larger than the likes of San Diego and Seattle, both the Bay and Boston feel much larger than either of those two metros despite what their 'MSA' stats say.

Curious, I see this 'MSA' and 'CSA' stat always being used for these two places. Sometimes I see folks using MSA and sometimes CSA but these metros can only be one or the other. So which is it? Are Boston and SF Bay closer to their MSA population or their CSA population?

4.4 million/4.5 million vs 7.5 million/7.6 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 12:01 AM

I used to live in the Boston area for 6 years, 4 years at a student housing/apartment/dorm type of place and after graduating I got my own house southwest of Boston near Foxboro where I would come across many folks from Providence going into the 'city' for shopping, airport, entertainment, etc. Inversely Boston area people at times would use PVD as a secondary airport as well. Boston's true metro size feels near 7 million not 4 million IMO.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:03 AM

896 posts, read 1,170,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
I used to live in the Boston area for 6 years, 4 years at a student housing/apartment/dorm type of place and after graduating I got my own house southwest of Boston near Foxboro where I would come across many folks from Providence going into the 'city' for shopping, airport, entertainment, etc. Inversely Boston area people at times would use PVD as a secondary airport as well. Boston's true metro size feels near 7 million not 4 million IMO.
I wholeheartedly disagree with you, the thing that always struck me about the Boston metro is the miles and miles of open land one drives through to get to the outer towns/cities around the Boston metro, it felt small to me in a way because I was so used to seeing no breaks in development where I grew up.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree with you, the thing that always struck me about the Boston metro is the miles and miles of open land one drives through to get to the outer towns/cities around the Boston metro, it felt small to me in a way because I was so used to seeing no breaks in development where I grew up.
I agree with your post but also see it slightly different, I have said this many times before but Boston and Atlanta feel the least dense amongst major metros the further out you go. [On CSA for Boston at least] Some of the suburbs between Providence and Boston drop density to where it feels almost like nothing there but houses still exist between them, they just take more land than compared to some place like LA, SF, Chicago, or DC. The heavily wooded areas and hills/topography of both metros contribute to this type of far flung development style but the people of RI and NH still see Boston as their 'hub' city for their area from my experience.

The commuter rail itself was designed in particular to connect Providence to Boston for this reason

Old 02-03-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
I agree with your post but also see it slightly different, I have said this many times before but Boston and Atlanta feel the least dense amongst major metros the further out you go. [On CSA for Boston at least] Some of the suburbs between Providence and Boston drop density to where it feels almost like nothing there but houses still exist between them, they just take more land than compared to some place like LA, SF, Chicago, or DC. The heavily wooded areas and hills/topography of both metros contribute to this type of far flung development style but the people of RI and NH still see Boston as their 'hub' city for their area from my experience.

The commuter rail itself was designed in particular to connect Providence to Boston for this reason
That may very well be but it doesn't change the fact that everything outside of the immediate metro feels very isolated and no longer connected to the city/metro.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:29 AM

BTW I know you had posted a satellite pic of Boston what happened to it?

Old 02-03-2012, 01:29 AM

View of the Boston, MA-RI-NH area from space

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~chance/cha...s/image004.gif

Further out- Boston, MA-RI-NH area from space
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1521030597085&id=2aad1e899469f1b4 678f40a18b79bbda (broken link)
Image Detail for - http://www.wec.ufl.edu/extension/gc/harmony/images/east_us_night_lg.gif

Old 02-03-2012, 01:30 AM

Quote:
BTW I know you had posted a satellite pic of Boston what happened to it?
It disappeared when I posted, so I deleted the post and reposted it.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:
That may very well be but it doesn't change the fact that everything outside of the immediate metro feels very isolated and no longer connected to the city/metro.
This is why this thread topic has me curious how others from the western half of the country and eastern half of the country and especially New England respond. Seems like the biggest difference between metros in the west versus those on the east, the western metros maintain higher string of development and higher density whereas the eastern metros, especially Atlanta and Boston have strong cores, strong inner ring burbs, but outer ring burbs are dis-functionally tied to the metro with low density between the inner ring [or middle ring] and outer ring IMO

However the core 4.6 million of Boston densely built, it just starts withering away fast from 4.6 million towards 7.6 million

Old 02-03-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
This is why this thread topic has me curious how others from the western half of the country and eastern half of the country and especially New England respond. Seems like the biggest difference between metros in the west versus those on the east, the western metros maintain higher string of development and higher density whereas the eastern metros, especially Atlanta and Boston have strong cores, strong inner ring burbs, but outer ring burbs are dis-functionally tied to the metro with low density between the inner ring [or middle ring] and outer ring IMO
it's almost as if everything outside the I95 loop starts to get rural fast, I remember driving to see a friend locked up in Framingham and just that drive I felt isolated from the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City