Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:38 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
New Orleans is a crime ridden swamp that has no place in this conversation. Austin wins this by a hundred miles if it was against New Orleans and Phoenix is a decent place but Austin is nicer. Austin, Houston, and Dallas are the nicest places in the entire south
Ya and the OP is from Indianapolis and Austin/Pheonix are very similar.
Except Indianapolis would win hands down in having a great Downtown. both for events and nightlife etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 01:37 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,125,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
No, but I find the outside visitor usually has better insight into what is good and bad than actual residents, and often notices thing residents are just "used to". This is of course assuming they visit and spend time in a lot of cities. It gives them an objective lens to stack up the quality in multiple cities against each other. Residents when speaking of where they spend the most time are too often conflicted with illusory superiority. For that reason I tend to comment much less on say, Florida where I grew up, than I do other cities because I'm aware of my own probable bias. I generally tend to trust the opinions of well traveled people on here, as opposed to people who are "born and raised" somewhere who too often tend to skew towards "this is the greatest place on earth" and also go to the other extreme with "this is a rotting cesspool". The truth is usually somewhere in the middle. Now if I wanted to figure out where is the closest place to get good food from a particular part of the city, then I would definitely trust the local over the transient/traveler... they just aren't the best at comparing cities vs cities.
Not that you can't be right... but I am saying your opinion on it being the best music place in the country is a bit off. It's the same way with a lot of Chicago folks that think the Mexican and Chinese food here is good, I have gotten into arguments with them saying it isn't so hot, having also lived in California, and not from either.

I get what your saying, but a visitor will remember the first impression of city as well right? Not fulling engulfing the situation/reason/feel of what the city has to offer on a day to day basis.

Well my friend two diffrent point of views and neither are wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City