Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which middle Midwest metro is best: Kansas City, Saint Louis, Omaha, Indianapolis
Kansas City MO 59 29.80%
Saint Louis MO 90 45.45%
Omaha NE 19 9.60%
Indianapolis IN 30 15.15%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:35 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Uh... I was talking about the Eagle's Creek trail, not the park, sorry.

Nevertheless, Eagle's Creek is just big, that's all, we have been there and did not see the city investing heaviliy on its potential, to the contrary... Uh...
Eagle creek has over 10 miles of trails. I knew what you were talking about. The fitness trail is two miles, but there are like 6 trails in the park.
Eagle Creek Brochure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 03:41 PM

750 posts, read 1,065,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Eagle creek has over 10 miles of trails. I knew what you were talking about. The fitness trail is two miles, but there are like 6 trails in the park.
Eagle Creek Brochure
Straight form their website: What To Do | Eagle Creek Trail | Visit Indy

"Much of the planned 16 miles of this trail is under construction. Currently 2 miles on the south end at Raymond St. are complete"

Don't you love how things flow in Indy... always in the planning stage...

Looks like KC now has the second place in the poll... the only reason Omaha is behind Indy is because it's metro is way smaller, but in a couple of years...

Old 05-09-2012, 03:52 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,676,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
st. louis is far and away superior to all the other metros in the poll. i'd take st. louis over all the other ones combined.
+1 I've spent time in all of these, although the least has been in Omaha (it did leave a favorable impression though!), St. Louis is def on another level.... It should be though, it is approaching 3 million while the others are hovering around 2 million and/or approaching 1 million. St. Louis also has a substantially more rich cultural and historical background; although, this does come with some more baggage.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:55 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
I wouldn't really call any of these areas "Middle" Midwest...they are southern Midwest. The Midwest is the 12 states defined by the Census Bureau. The "Middle Midwest" cities include places like Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Des Moines, and Omaha, pretty much anything along the Interstate 80 corridor. (Detroit isn't that far north of I-80...only 45 miles or so).

Old 05-09-2012, 04:14 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
I really like St Louis and would probably choose it over KC. But honestly it's not that much greater than KC. It's really sort of like KC with more suburbs. It's much closer to KC than Indy in my opinion.

I just imagine a bigger northland and a bigger johnson county and I think KC and St Louis would be pretty similar as far as metro areas. I would give StL the edge on urban neighborhoods (if you include inner suburbs), but KC has a better downtown when it comes to living.

I just think the primary urban corridor of StL from the river to Central West End is very similar to that of KCMO from the river to the Plaza.

StL pulls away from KC with Clayton and Forest Park and having light rail and downtown baseball, and StL has a better urban university scene and none of it is in Kansas (IL is fine, they don't rub me the wrong way like Kansans do). Plus StL feels more "big city" than KC while KC tries to be a gigantic small town at times. I prefer the StL mentality. For those reasons, I choose StL. But KC is no pushover compared to StL and they continue to close the gap. It's not 1920 any more. Same thing is happing with Indy/KC. Gap is closing. In 50 years these three cities may all be about the same size and all have the same amenities. Poor Omaha Omaha is nice though. It's OKC with some charm and urban culture.

Last edited by kcmo; 05-09-2012 at 04:24 PM..

Old 05-09-2012, 04:33 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I really like St Louis and would probably choose it over KC. But honestly it's not that much greater than KC. It's really sort of like KC with more suburbs. It's much closer to KC than Indy in my opinion.

I just imagine a bigger northland and a bigger johnson county and I think KC and St Louis would be pretty similar as far as metro areas. I would give StL the edge on urban neighborhoods (if you include inner suburbs), but KC has a better downtown when it comes to living.

I just think the primary urban corridor of StL from the river to Central West End is very similar to that of KCMO from the river to the Plaza.

StL pulls away from KC with Clayton and Forest Park and having light rail and downtown baseball, and StL has a better urban university scene and none of it is in Kansas (IL is fine, they don't rub me the wrong way like Kansans do). Plus StL feels more "big city" than KC while KC tries to be a gigantic small town at times. I prefer the StL mentality. For those reasons, I choose StL. But KC is no pushover compared to StL and they continue to close the gap. It's not 1920 any more. Same thing is happing with Indy/KC. Gap is closing. In 50 years these three cities may all be about the same size and all have the same amenities. Poor Omaha Omaha is nice though. It's OKC with some charm and urban culture.
Omaha is nothing like OKC culturally. OKC is the south. Omaha is the Midwest. I've been to both cities and they don't really remind me that much of each other at all.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I wouldn't really call any of these areas "Middle" Midwest...they are southern Midwest. The Midwest is the 12 states defined by the Census Bureau. The "Middle Midwest" cities include places like Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Des Moines, and Omaha, pretty much anything along the Interstate 80 corridor. (Detroit isn't that far north of I-80...only 45 miles or so).
Well, if you want go with the the U.S. Census Bureau definition, then there are only 2 divisions of the Midwest:

1- East North Central, aka the Great Lakes States: Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

2- West North Central, aka the Great Plains States: Iowa, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska and Kansas.

So, all the cities in the poll belong to No. 2, except Indy.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Omaha is nothing like OKC culturally. OKC is the south. Omaha is the Midwest. I've been to both cities and they don't really remind me that much of each other at all.
Yea, I know that. I meant size wise. I know OKC is technically bigger, but they feel about the same size. And now they both have a one building skyline too.

But I totally agree, culturally, they are VERY different, with the exception of their love for college sports and Omaha is set in a very green area with lots of trees and hills. OKC, not so much.

Omaha would be an amazing city with about 1.5 million more people. OKC I’m not so sure.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Omaha is set in a very green area with lots of trees and hills.
Really? I though Omaha is in the flat portion of the state?

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/c...or/necolor.gif

Last edited by JMT; 07-30-2012 at 06:20 AM..

Old 05-09-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Really? I though Omaha is in the flat portion of the state?
Yea, but the rivers create a more diverse topography around Omaha, but yea, it's pretty flat for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City