Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 01:33 PM

11 posts, read 38,500 times

Advertisements

Toronto (population 2.65 million, just barely less than Chicago) is at 19 murders so far in 2012. Last year we finished with 49 murders. I believe the most we ever had was 78 murders in 2007. Most years we're around the 60 murder mark, give or take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 02:04 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
The murder capitals "take turns." In the last 20 years, I've heard:

New Orleans
Memphis
Atlanta
Jacksonville
Miami
Saint Louis
Detroit

I even glanced at an article that correlated southern latitude and high/heat humidity with the murder rate, but didn't look into it. I guess it would make people more "passionate." Kind of warped, I know.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:42 PM

902 posts, read 2,788,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

New Orleans
Memphis
Atlanta
Jacksonville
Miami
Saint Louis
Detroit

I even glanced at an article that correlated southern latitude and high/heat humidity with the murder rate, but didn't look into it. I guess it would make people more "passionate." Kind of warped, I know.
You can add East Palo Alto, CA and Flint, MI to that list.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:49 PM

814 posts, read 1,476,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
You can add East Palo Alto, CA and Flint, MI to that list.
I think he was only talking about major cities. I think there is two seperate catergories in crime statistics for large and small cities. For example poeple might say the murder capital is city A with 400,000 people and a murder rate of 60 per 100,000 even though there is city B with a population of 40,000 with a murder rate of 90 per 100,000.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:51 PM

902 posts, read 2,788,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
I think he was only talking about major cities. I think there is two seperate catergories in crime statistics for large and small cities.
Size of city is irrelevant when it comes down to murder capital as it is based on per capita homicides.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:09 PM

814 posts, read 1,476,398 times
Quote:
Size of city is irrelevant when it comes down to murder capital as it is based on per capita homicides.
You didnt quote my nice example which I just added. Just look at most crime statistics and you will see that most leave out the smaller cities or break it into catergories based on population. There are usually seperate dynamics and factors that lead to murder rates in large cities and small cities and that is why groups like the FBI and stuff break it up or even Wikipedia. Usually it is much more impressive(not the right word) when a large city gets a high murder rate than when some small city gets a high murder rate. It is more impressive becuase of the much larger population, the higher murder number, and it is just on a much larger scale. The smaller cities might get overshadowed and in the end there are seperate categories of small and large cities. Dont you think it is much crazier when a large city gets a real high murder rate than when some small city gets a higher murder rate? I am just saying that there must be some factors that cause crime statisticians to break the cities into groups becuase you dont usually see the murder rates of East Palo Alto compared to Detriot for example.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:06 PM

2,596 posts, read 4,659,459 times
Default Boredathome

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

New Orleans
Memphis
Atlanta
Jacksonville
Miami
Saint Louis
Detroit

The last 20 years the murder capitals have been new Orleans, Washington DC, Detroit, St Louis, maybe Baltimore once... Not Jacksonville not Miami, not Atlanta, not Memphis they haven't led the nation in murder rates in the last 20 years. New Orleans has led th nation in murder rates for probably the last 5+ years

Old 05-16-2012, 06:13 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,663,354 times
Quote:
small cities, the homicide rate varies WIDELY cause there are few people. just a couple murders more or less and the figure changes dramatically while big cities are a lot more consistent in their murder rates.

A rule should be when comparing cities, a city less than 25,000 is basically worthless unless their data is consistent for 10-20 years. A city between 25,000 and 100,000 should have its data average over at least 5 years.

And when you talk about east palo alto you're basically talking about a tiny section of what is a larger city. Same thing for east st. louis, camden, gary, compton, etc It makes no sense them to compare them to "real" cities.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:48 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
On tracking numbers...

Detroit somehow has been level with the same amount as last year for the past few weeks. It's currently at 119.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:29 PM

69 posts, read 102,615 times
Holy smokes that's high!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City