Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Capital of Hispanic America?
Dallas 4 1.70%
Denver 4 1.70%
Houston 16 6.81%
LA 109 46.38%
Miami 115 48.94%
San Antonio 25 10.64%
San Diego 10 4.26%
Other 18 7.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 04:21 PM

573 posts, read 1,360,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Metro statistics nonwithstanding, the City of New York has more Latinos than the City of Los Angeles. That really isn't up for dispute.
city statistics nonwithstanding, the LA Area has more Lationos than the NY Area. That really isn't up for dispute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 04:25 PM

160 posts, read 311,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Dunno. 1.6 million total hispanics in Miami-Dade vs 1.2 million non-Mexican hispanics in LA County. I realize there is a percentages argument for Miami to this limited extent, but is that more significant than the presence of an additional 4 million Mexicans living in LA County?
Here's another way of looking at it - in LA County there are 2,728,321 White Anglo residents. In Miami-Dade County there are only 383,551. LA's Hispanic population is "tempered" by an equally large non-Hispanic population, this is not the case with Miami.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:25 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Dunno. 1.6 million total hispanics in Miami-Dade vs 1.2 million non-Mexican hispanics in LA County. I realize there is a percentages argument for Miami to this limited extent, but is that more significant than the presence of an additional 4 million Mexicans living in LA County?
A HUGE twist in this argument. 1.2million non-Mexican Hispanics in LA County? If that's true, than LA just got a huge boost in this argument.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:28 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
Quote:
*snip*

I can see that, but it depends how one views "San Juan" as being part of the "United States"

OP didn't specify really if US territories counted as well, but if it did, San Juan would definitely be in a top tier category.
Last I checked Puerto Rico is a United States Territory. In what way is this a matter of view or opinion? Its the same passport, same military, same money and same President. There's no "view" about it. San Juan is a U.S. city.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:29 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
I'm not the upset one
You're clearly upset that people were using metro populations, if you weren't you would have constantly complained about it like you did.
Quote:
Metro statistics nonwithstanding, the City of New York has more Latinos than the City of Los Angeles. That really isn't up for dispute.
How many times are you going to repeat this? Nobody has disputed the raw numbers yet you keep bringing this up since it's pretty much all you have against LA. We get it, you need to "move the goal post" and restrict the conversation to city limits in order for NYC to beat LA. Congrats!
Quote:
You understand why doing that is disingenuous, correct?

It's like saying "house A is larger than house B"...then coming back with "but neighborhood A is larger than neighborhood B" even though the initial comparisons was about houses.
Well you're the one trying to restrict it to just city limits, except of course when it comes to Miami. So why not be uniform and compare metro areas? But we all know why you won't and have not done that.
Quote:
I'm not worked up about anything. Fact of the matter is from mid 1870s to 2005, Latinos were noticeably ABSENT from LA politics despite all that history LA has, while from the 1960s onwards, Latinos were very much a part of NYC's political culture.
Absent from the mayor's office but not from politics in general.
Quote:
We can agree to disagree here, although Sonia Sotomayor, a Puerto Rican from the Bronx and Supreme Court Justice, would gladly disagree.
So you're saying NYC is a Hispanic dominated city with the likes of Miami and LA? And what does Sonia Sotomayor's opinion about that matter at all? So one person in a high office makes NYC a Hispanic dominated city?

Quote:
Miami definitely does belong in the conversation, I never said it didn't. What I do disagree with is the amount of LA boosting there is because it has a lot of Mexicans, as if the totality of the Hispanic American experience can be summed up in Los Angeles, a region of the world made up of 23 different countries and many different customs.
Well LA has a much better case than NYC does and that is what you seem to be arguing the most about.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:29 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
A HUGE twist in this argument. 1.2million non-Mexican Hispanics in LA County? If that's true, than LA just got a huge boost in this argument.
Culled from the 2000 census...

Population of Hispanic or Latino

Old 04-11-2012, 04:30 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,606,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrocrag View Post
Here's another way of looking at it - in LA County there are 2,728,321 White Anglo residents. In Miami-Dade County there are only 383,551. LA's Hispanic population is "tempered" by an equally large non-Hispanic population, this is not the case with Miami.
theres 2 million white ppl in my hometown (the DF). i guess that means theres miami is more hispanic than mexico city

isnt LA county like 4 times the size of miami dade?

Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 PM

637 posts, read 1,014,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge112597 View Post
city statistics nonwithstanding, the LA Area has more Lationos than the NY Area. That really isn't up for dispute.
And metro statistics on Latinos nonwithstanding, the NY Area has more Latino groups than the LA area. That really isn't up for dispute.

Groups over 10k

New York Area (total Latinos 4,790,542): 19 GROUPS

Puerto Rican 1,373,911
Dominican (Dominican Republic) 863,400
Mexican 630,440
Other Hispanic or Latino 382,472
Ecuadorian 344,781
Colombian 248,588
Salvadoran 206,475
Cuban 145,293
Peruvian 145,153
Guatemalan 131,244
Honduran 107,241
Argentinean 39,296
Costa Rican 31,961
Panamanian 31,105
Chilean 23,197
Venezuelan 20,756
Nicaraguan 19,609
Uruguayan 17,536
Bolivian 10,461

Los Angeles Area (total Latinos: 8,028,831) TOTAL GROUPS 14

Mexican 6,375,180
Other Hispanic or Latino 477,827
Salvadoran 428,904
Guatemalan 264,044
Puerto Rican 86,695
Cuban 63,292
Peruvian 53,727
Honduran 53,524
Nicaraguan 51,293
Colombian 42,417
Argentinean 31,524
Ecuadorian 28,418
Costa Rican 14,976
Chilean 13,152

That's some intellectual honesty for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You're clearly upset that people were using metro populations, if you weren't you would have constantly complained about it like you did.
Yet, you keep addressing it instead of acknowledging it and moving on? I wonder why that is....

Quote:
How many times are you going to repeat this? Nobody has disputed the raw numbers yet you keep bringing this up since it's pretty much all you have against LA. We get it, you need to "move the goal post" and restrict the conversation to city limits in order for NYC to beat LA. Congrats!
See the above

Quote:
Well you're the one trying to restrict it to just city limits, except of course when it comes to Miami. So why not be uniform and compare metro areas? But we all know why you won't and have not done that.
Except I did, see the above.

Quote:
Absent from the mayor's office but not from politics in general.
Ok, name some Latino politicians that were present in LA from the period of 1880-1960. Hell, even into the 1970s.

Quote:
So you're saying NYC is a Hispanic dominated city with the likes of Miami and LA? And what does Sonia Sotomayor's opinion about that matter at all? So one person in a high office makes NYC a Hispanic dominated city?
Nope, but it just shows that NYC is also a place where the vast multitude of Latinos can come and accomplish their highest aspirations.

Name one LA Latino in high office?

Quote:
Well LA has a much better case than NYC does and that is what you seem to be arguing the most about.
NYC is like the NY Yankees. Everyone wants to beat it but comes woefully short.

Miami and San Juan come close though, with the latter even getting there. but looking at the Continental US only, NYC and Miami tussle it out, and it really depends on your POV.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 PM

160 posts, read 311,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
theres 2 million white ppl in my hometown (the DF). i guess that means theres miami is more hispanic than mexico city

isnt LA county like 5 times the size of miami dade?
Dude, the DF has like 20 million residents. I would wager Mexicans vastly outnumber the "White" population.

Yes, LA County is about 4x bigger than Miami Dade. And that was my point earlier, it is heavily populated by MANY non-Hispanic groups, not the case with Miami Dade where the Latin population is large, very concentrated and outnumbers all other groups by significant margins.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:39 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrocrag View Post
Dude, the DF has like 20 million residents. I would wager Mexicans vastly outnumber the "White" population.

Yes, LA County is about 4x bigger than Miami Dade. And that was my point earlier, it is heavily populated by MANY non-Hispanic groups, not the case with Miami Dade where the Latin population is large, very concentrated and outnumbers all other groups by significant margins.
Apply this argument to San Juan. It makes Miami look like Wonderbread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City