Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City For 2024 Olympics US Bid?
Phoenix 18 5.52%
San Jose 7 2.15%
Los Angeles 51 15.64%
Sacramento 6 1.84%
San Diego 23 7.06%
San Francisco 43 13.19%
Denver 25 7.67%
Washington 30 9.20%
Jacksonville 5 1.53%
Orlando 9 2.76%
Miami 26 7.98%
Atlanta 39 11.96%
Chicago 69 21.17%
Indianapolis 9 2.76%
Baltimore 9 2.76%
Detroit 16 4.91%
Minneapolis 31 9.51%
St Louis 20 6.13%
Las Vegas 12 3.68%
New York City 49 15.03%
Boston 59 18.10%
Rochester 7 2.15%
Charlotte 20 6.13%
Columbus 7 2.15%
Tulsa 8 2.45%
Portland OR 8 2.45%
Philadelphia 47 14.42%
Pittsburgh 15 4.60%
Memphis 6 1.84%
Nashville 21 6.44%
Austin 16 4.91%
Dallas 32 9.82%
Houston 35 10.74%
San Antonio 9 2.76%
Seattle 52 15.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:14 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times

Advertisements

I have it on good authority that the US will not be rejected for unconsideration to host the summer games because of not obtaining the necessary vetoes from non-European, anti-Asian partisianship. You can bank on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 08:42 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
I think that Las Vegas, Dallas, and Chicago should bid for the summer games, and that Denver/Colorado Springs and Reno-Tahoe should bid for the Winter Games.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think that Las Vegas, Dallas, and Chicago should bid for the summer games, and that Denver/Colorado Springs and Reno-Tahoe should bid for the Winter Games.
As I said before: LA, NY, Washington DC, Miami. Outside shots with Boston, Chicago, Denver, Seattle, Orlando, San Diego and Honolulu.

Just not going to happen in Jesusland and you can bank on it.

Reno/Tahoe would be a good choice for winter games.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:44 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
I have to disagree here. If we are to host the Summer Games, I think the most likely city would be Dallas. Residents of New York, Chicago, and DC do not want the Games in their cities because of all the disruption and the cost. However I think Dallas does want them and they are a nice city. Atlanta put on a very succesful Olympics that benefited their city a lot. There is nothing wrong with another Southern city hosting it, even though Texas isn't even quite the same as the typical South. I think Dallas-Fort Worth willl be the best, followed by Las Vegas so they can expand pro sports there with new venues. Another iconic American city that hasn't been brought up yet is Nashville. There are a number of pro sports and college venues already there and they can use a new basketball arena. It will also attract a lot of visitors domestically and internationally as one of the cultural capital of the USA especially when it comes to music. I don't think Nashville ever tried to bid but its a fine city too. If Dallas or Las Vegas hosts the Games it can be in October or September if they are THAT concerned about the weather. It gets to 100 degrees in Beijing in the summer and it was hot in Greece too.

I do not see Washington DC handling the Games even if they wanted it which many area resident do not. Mass transit AND highways are already at capacity. I don't see DC having dedicated Olympic lane on its streets like London. And I don't see how more people can fit into the Metro system. Try taking the Metro after a Redskin game and it is already bad enough. As for a joint bid with Baltimore.....read some of the local Baltimore news coverage about the Grand Prix....just one auto race for 2 days and its effects on the city.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:53 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
Whoa! Who did I "attack"? Did I or did I not provide a link to an article? In fact I have provided several links within this thread. As far as being taken seriously...well my reputation points have increased due to my posts on this particular thread so obviously not everyone shares your feelings.

Believe me, I am not trying to upset you or anyone else. However, if you are going to make a claim, such as the IOC kept the Olympics out of the U.S.A. due to anti-American sentiment, then is it really too much for me to ask for a link to an article? There is no need to take offense to someone questioning your claim. When someone makes a claim to affirm their argument, it is on them to provide the proof. I am genuinely interested in what you have to say provided it is not just uninformed speculation.

Who can take people who make a claim without backing it up with information, seriously?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
His claim was that the US was not getting to host because of disputes over revenue sharing, not anti-american views in general as you argue. He backed up his claim by posting an article discussing revenue sharing as a possible reason for the US not being chosen to host.

You are the one that claims that this is about antiamerican views and you are the one who has in no way backed up their views. Why does the burden fall upon him to to prove that this is absolutely not a reason? You can't prove a negative. Why would someone write about how anti american views are NOT affecting US olympic bids? Doesn't make any sense. You have to provide proof positive. He doesn't have to prove anything.

He's backed up his story with facts. You've backed up nothing. You are the one that is not being taken seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
plates: TowerGuy DID provide a reference to support his claim...yours is just a misguided opinion until you do the same.
Obviously reading comprehension is not something of value to you three.

TowerGuy made the claim therefor it needs to show a source that says that money was the only reason as it claims. It has been on this way on City Data for a long time.

Also, since you have a short memory (yet you are acting as if you everything ):

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
It has nothing to do with any of the superficial garbage that some people on here like to throw out (of their butts) regarding the United States' standing in the world.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:56 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
As I said before: LA, NY, Washington DC, Miami. Outside shots with Boston, Chicago, Denver, Seattle, Orlando, San Diego and Honolulu.

Just not going to happen in Jesusland and you can bank on it.

Reno/Tahoe would be a good choice for winter games.
.... Jesusland?

Seriously?

Old 08-23-2012, 10:41 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
Obviously reading comprehension is not something of value to you three.

TowerGuy made the claim therefor it needs to show a source that says that money was the only reason as it claims. It has been on this way on City Data for a long time.

Also, since you have a short memory (yet you are acting as if you everything ):
I've noticed on city-date that people who can't support their argument or can't think of anything else worthwhile to say often resort to insults. This is apparently one of those situations.

Someone who claims that the U.S. won't get the Olympics again for a while because of rednecks and fat people is insulting the reading comprehension of others??? That's funny.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:22 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
.... Jesusland?

Seriously?
Are you denying that he's the most popular historical figure in much of the country?

Old 08-23-2012, 01:52 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Are you denying that he's the most popular historical figure in much of the country?
I think you missed the point.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:30 PM

554 posts, read 1,196,494 times
If anyone is interested in participating in or following the Dallas 2024 effort I have provided the link below. The website address still says dallas2020 but everything within the site has been updated to Dallas 2024.

Dallas 2024
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City