Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Denver 194 69.04%
Charlotte 87 30.96%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 04:25 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,513 times

Advertisements

Best of both worlds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 10:03 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Why would you live in a city just to visit another city near by?
Two reasons. First of all, it's always fun to visit other cities. One of the reasons I'm happy in Des Moines is that it's surrounded in all directions by very different cities - Minneapolis, Iowa City, Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, Omaha, and Sioux Falls. Each one is enough different from Des Moines that visiting is a great diversion. Spending a weekend in another city is an easy, affordable option if you have a travel bug and can't plan or afford a full-scale vacation.
Also, when you are on vacation, it makes the driving that much easier. No matter where you're headed from north-central Colorado, it's going to be a long drive.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:52 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Two reasons. First of all, it's always fun to visit other cities. One of the reasons I'm happy in Des Moines is that it's surrounded in all directions by very different cities - Minneapolis, Iowa City, Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, Omaha, and Sioux Falls. Each one is enough different from Des Moines that visiting is a great diversion. Spending a weekend in another city is an easy, affordable option if you have a travel bug and can't plan or afford a full-scale vacation.
Also, when you are on vacation, it makes the driving that much easier. No matter where you're headed from north-central Colorado, it's going to be a long drive.
I understand, but by those standards, Denver also has many quick vacation spots near by (Though not near another large city). I'm not disagreeing with Charlotte having more options for short trips, but I personally don't think it's a big problem when you are living in a city just for the amenities that city offers.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:29 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,709 times
Denver is just a really ugly city, Charlotte is so much more green and lush. Brown hazy cities are not my thing.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:51 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Denver is just a really ugly city, Charlotte is so much more green and lush. Brown hazy cities are not my thing.
You can dislike a city without contantly bashing it.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:01 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
both cities seem kinda "spawley" to me, Denver probably slightly more...

Old 07-06-2012, 04:16 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
I understand, but by those standards, Denver also has many quick vacation spots near by (Though not near another large city). I'm not disagreeing with Charlotte having more options for short trips, but I personally don't think it's a big problem when you are living in a city just for the amenities that city offers.
But neither city has everything. And Charlotte is much closer to the beach and larger cities--definite pluses.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:48 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,265 times
Quote:
Yes, and they're all fairly similar. From Denver, you can easily get to smaller culturally similar cities like Boulder and to mountain cities like Estes Park, and that's fantastic, but it's also not all that big a leap from Denver itself. Charlotte is an easy trip from Atlanta, Charleston and the Carolina coast, colonial Virginia, and the Smoky Mountains.
The point is that sometimes you need a change of scenery, even if you're living in an outstanding city like Denver, and head-to-head, Charlotte gives you many more options in that respect, plain and simple. It's one category. Denver sweeps the rest.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:02 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,438,886 times
Although I'm vocal in my opinion of Charlotte, I'd prefer to live there than Denver because its closer to other cities. Ive never visited Denver but most people have told me it is a very nice city, I've never heard of it being a dirty city. Charlotte is also a nice, clean city, with many amenities but Denver is in another league than Charlotte is. It's like comparing Chicago to Houston or Philadelphia to Raleigh, it can't happen. I put Denver in a league with Minneapolis, Seattle, etc, Charlotte is in the league of Austin.

SN: I voted for neither because they both have advantages and disadvantages that hold me back from choosing.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:13 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Location was one of the things asked for. Some of us are actually able to look at the individual criteria and make a judgment as to who wins in each category.
Some of us have actually visited been to both cities. I have actually lived in both so, I'm pretty sure I actually know what I'm talking about. Denver wins out. End of story.

BTW, one can argue that being an hour to 3.5 hours away from other larger cities is a disadvantage for some cities. Denver's isolation is a huge advantage whereas Charlotte's close proximity to other large cities has and will hurt when it comes to certain things. If you're one who likes to spend time in cities other than your own, then Charlotte wins out in that department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City