Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East vs. West
East 57 35.19%
West 87 53.70%
Neither 18 11.11%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 12:49 PM

383 posts, read 181,238 times

Advertisements

On average, west. You rarely hear about things like people hanging nooses from trees. It's more the passive aggressive kind. I think its because we're free from some of the baggage folk back east have to deal with, ie legacy of slavery, civil war. A lot more small towns where people are hostile towards "outsiders"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2022, 04:28 PM

406 posts, read 341,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
When talking specifically about White racism towards minorities and acceptance by region, the west is by far the most tolerant. As you can see by this map of IAT scores (Implicit Racial Attitudes and pro White biases). The bluer the shade, the least racist the state is, the redder the shade, the more racist the state is.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implici...ogpost005.html
Good map. However, Kansas should really be light red and Oklahoma should be dark red.

Old 10-09-2022, 08:24 PM

1,348 posts, read 880,768 times
It depends on the race in question

Old 10-10-2022, 08:40 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perennial millennial View Post
On average, west. You rarely hear about things like people hanging nooses from trees. It's more the passive aggressive kind. I think its because we're free from some of the baggage folk back east have to deal with, ie legacy of slavery, civil war. A lot more small towns where people are hostile towards "outsiders"
One day ago...

Old 10-10-2022, 08:56 PM

817 posts, read 627,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Oof, that was rough, but as someone born and raised in Southern California not surprising at all. There is very high racial tensions between Mexicans and blacks in California with both sides being racist towards each other, it's been going on for decades.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:35 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,283,271 times
Quote:
When talking specifically about White racism towards minorities and acceptance by region, the west is by far the most tolerant. As you can see by this map of IAT scores (Implicit Racial Attitudes and pro White biases). The bluer the shade, the least racist the state is, the redder the shade, the more racist the state is.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implici...ogpost005.html

Not really clear how useful the IAT scores are. The results are effectively showing a negative correlation with the share of states Black population.

But in the real world, Black people (especially highly educated professionals) tend to be attracted to cities in low scoring regions like Atlanta and DC. Not so many Black people moving to Portland or Denver despite the high scores.

So that suggests to me either:
1) Acceptance dosent matter. Go where there is a large community of your particular group.
2) these tests are boarder line pseudoscience and have very limited real world utility.

I don't have a strong view on IATs, but I lean toward the sceptical camp.
https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/...on-test-racism

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8167921/

Old 10-11-2022, 10:51 AM

383 posts, read 181,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post

I'm sure this happens back east regularly, too! Probably why it doesn't make the news often?

Old 10-11-2022, 07:53 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perennial millennial View Post
I'm sure this happens back east regularly, too! Probably why it doesn't make the news often?
Hispanics don't have much of a grip on the east coast as they do with LA.

That being said, if you're a Black male who's on point, who doesn't fit the stereotypical pro-hood/my peoples/for da communitah Black man mold, or just wants to improve yourself, you're better off out west. Not the garbage Midwest/Rust Belt where opportunities are limited on top of segregation, wages are lower, etc. Avoid LA County like the plague unless you get a deal you can't refuse or you're in a beach town. Bay Area? Ehh I've heard some good things about the East Bay despite Oakland's obvious issues. Sactown, SD, OC are okay if the pay is good. Seattle/Portland are probably the best outta the bunch.

Old 10-15-2022, 10:12 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Oof, that was rough, but as someone born and raised in Southern California not surprising at all. There is very high racial tensions between Mexicans and blacks in California with both sides being racist towards each other, it's been going on for decades.
All I'll say is that where I'm from (Atlanta), this kind of strife just doesn't exist. Not that stereotypes aren't held or light racial bigotry by some, but there aren't huge gang wars between races or hateful attacks on certain races. I grew up on a street with black, white, asian, and latino neighbors and we weren't out here attacking each other.

Old 10-17-2022, 09:33 AM

494 posts, read 246,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Hispanics don't have much of a grip on the east coast as they do with LA.

That being said, if you're a Black male who's on point, who doesn't fit the stereotypical pro-hood/my peoples/for da communitah Black man mold, or just wants to improve yourself, you're better off out west. Not the garbage Midwest/Rust Belt where opportunities are limited on top of segregation, wages are lower, etc. Avoid LA County like the plague unless you get a deal you can't refuse or you're in a beach town. Bay Area? Ehh I've heard some good things about the East Bay despite Oakland's obvious issues. Sactown, SD, OC are okay if the pay is good. Seattle/Portland are probably the best outta the bunch.
Disagree. Head to ATL or DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City