Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gang Capital of the United States?
Chicago 157 50.97%
Los Angeles 151 49.03%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 03:53 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,097,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Is this based off impact ?

California gangs are still the most known gangs in America,Rappers,R&B artist & even Sports Athletes Claim these California gangs today so if we're going off of Chicago being a more violent city today than i agree but that still doesnt make it Gang Capital.

I would think Gang Capital means the place with the most Gangs & Gang members,Gangs with the biggest impact & influence.

There's been tons of movies & video games like San Andreas based on California Gang culture.

The impact and widespread of Chicago gangs is very understated. While Bloods and Crips are more well known overall, the gap between how well known they are in comparison to Chicago gangs isn't as big as people would think. Here in the South and in the Midwest, Chicago gangs like GD (Gangster Disciples/FOLKS Nation) and Vice Lords can be as popular or more popular than Crips and Bloods depending on the city or state.

i.e. Mississippi is almost exclusively Chicago gangs. Here in Georgia and in places like Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama, SC, etc. GD has more members than Crips or Bloods in many towns.

It actually says a lot about how big of an impact Chicago gangs have, because despite not being as popular in the media, there were still just as many GD in my city (Macon, GA) as Crips and Bloods even way back in the mid to late 90s. You knew these weren't people being copycats because of stuff they saw on TV, because GD didnt have any well known popular rappers or shown in popular movies, and the internet wasnt widespread back then. These were people with real ties through family members, prison, crime, drug trade, etc.

An article about Chicago's gang effects in Mississippi.

Law cracks down on Chicago-Miss. Delta pipeline of crime - USATODAY.com

Old 01-13-2016, 08:38 AM

14 posts, read 20,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
The impact and widespread of Chicago gangs is very understated. While Bloods and Crips are more well known overall, the gap between how well known they are in comparison to Chicago gangs isn't as big as people would think. Here in the South and in the Midwest, Chicago gangs like GD (Gangster Disciples/FOLKS Nation) and Vice Lords can be as popular or more popular than Crips and Bloods depending on the city or state.

i.e. Mississippi is almost exclusively Chicago gangs. Here in Georgia and in places like Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama, SC, etc. GD has more members than Crips or Bloods in many towns.

It actually says a lot about how big of an impact Chicago gangs have, because despite not being as popular in the media, there were still just as many GD in my city (Macon, GA) as Crips and Bloods even way back in the mid to late 90s. You knew these weren't people being copycats because of stuff they saw on TV, because GD didnt have any well known popular rappers or shown in popular movies, and the internet wasnt widespread back then. These were people with real ties through family members, prison, crime, drug trade, etc.

An article about Chicago's gang effects in Mississippi.

Law cracks down on Chicago-Miss. Delta pipeline of crime - USATODAY.com
Good points: Being in the vicinity of Hollywood, (Entertainment Capital) where movies and directors, producers are sharing the same space didn't hurt spreading the popularity and myths of area street gangs and it didn't help towns with kids wanting to emulate what they saw in the constant copycat news reports and media hype that kinda glamorized bloods, crips, and cholos. Then when tv shows and movies were popping up, kids who couldn't spell Los Angeles yet alone haven't left their town or had any visits from any LA members were starting their own sets based on what they saw in the media or read in a book.

Chicago and most other cities not named LA or NY didn't have the overwhelming media presence as those towns did. In the late 60's through early 80's it was all about "Big Bad New York" being the quintessential Crime town portrayed in tv shows, movies, news reports, and books. Even the tv shows of the 70's & early 80's would be filmed in LA (Hill St Blues, etc would portray gang bangers dressed like bikers ala New York style... The early 80's 80-85 would always interview groups like Grand Master Flash & The Furious 5, Rock Steady Crew and every one in-between would speak of the gang era that ended prior to Hip-Hop culture expanding in popularity and (Part-Half Truth) them "Breaking or Rappin" instead of fighting or "Boppin" as they probably called it... (Side note....in Philly we kinda thought New York crews were corny.....at one point in the mid-late 80's there were crews with names like "The Deceptacons.")

Still though, New York was the "IT" city when it came to that Boogeyman fear mongering that dudes like Charles Bronson can come wipe out and clean up the hoods..lol

Old 01-13-2016, 08:14 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,669,791 times
Im not denying Chicago gangs being spread around but you have to take in account Chicago is also way closer to the South than Los Angeles gangs so we can't say Hollywood was the reason when i already pointed out Crack hit L.A & Miami before anywhere else.It's just Los Angeles gang members setup shop all over the country and alot of places adopted California gang culture.

Chicago gangs seem to spread in places where they have family ties as to where Los Angeles gangs spread because of the California drug trade.Places like Texas & Louisiana are majority Blood & Crip sets,Even in Midwest cities like St Louis & Little Rock, California gangs are the majority.Maybe it has to do with the impact of Westcoast & Midwest lifestyle.More people want to be apart of California culture than Illinois, whether it's Gang Culture or Anything else,I think only New York can compare to California far as major influence on other places in America.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:21 PM

I dont think the media hyped up New York & Los Angeles.Both cities were really bad in the 80s & 90s,So of course Americas two biggest cities needed people from around the world to know the crime they were facing.

Chief Gates had Military tanks knocking through houses in Crack spots in Los Angeles,New York once had over 2000 murders in one year,i mean both cities were really that bad & i dont think Chicago ever got as bad as NYC +L.A.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:35 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
Quote:
I dont think the media hyped up New York & Los Angeles.Both cities were really bad in the 80s & 90s,So of course Americas two biggest cities needed people from around the world to know the crime they were facing.

Chief Gates had Military tanks knocking through houses in Crack spots in Los Angeles,New York once had over 2000 murders in one year,i mean both cities were really that bad & i dont think Chicago ever got as bad as NYC +L.A.
Maybe, maybe not. But it certainly is worse than NYC and LA right now. You are more apt to see gang members playing handball in LA versus the 'corner boy hustlin' you see in Chicago.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:27 AM

Yes i agree,Today things are worst in Chicago & it's a testament to the violent history of Chicago since the Al Capone Mob days.

And maybe a coincidence,But Al Capone is also from New York.So Organized crime may have been in New York before Chicago.

Chicago has lost major population that Los Angeles or New York City never experienced.If anything it'll be surpassed soon by cities like Houston or Philly.Still Chicago will forever be remembered as one of the Greatest cities in American history though.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:42 AM

L.A,Even today may have a worse jail system than Chicago based on race politics.

The most powerful Prison Gangs also originated in California & have power across the country.

Chicago gangs dont have ties back to deadly counties like California sets,Murderous places like Belize,El Salvador, Honduras & the Caribbean islands all have California gangs there & are deeply rooted through family ties.

Fbi even has Ms13 & Crips+Bloods on their list as most dangerous in the world and it could be because of their ties to 3rd world murder capitals.

La eme & the Mexican mafia are probably even in connection with Mexican drug lords like El Chapo.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:37 AM

35 posts, read 51,058 times
Quote:
Im not denying Chicago gangs being spread around but you have to take in account Chicago is also way closer to the South than Los Angeles gangs so we can't say Hollywood was the reason when i already pointed out Crack hit L.A & Miami before anywhere else.It's just Los Angeles gang members setup shop all over the country and alot of places adopted California gang culture.

Chicago gangs seem to spread in places where they have family ties as to where Los Angeles gangs spread because of the California drug trade.Places like Texas & Louisiana are majority Blood & Crip sets,Even in Midwest cities like St Louis & Little Rock, California gangs are the majority.Maybe it has to do with the impact of Westcoast & Midwest lifestyle.More people want to be apart of California culture than Illinois, whether it's Gang Culture or Anything else,I think only New York can compare to California far as major influence on other places in America.
Lol dude this isnt the 90's anymore. Nobody is emulating nor is anyone in any way influenced by California gangs and certainly not to the level of influence Chicago gang culture is today..everything from Drill music, to slang (Thot, Opps, G fazos, Glo) to style (wearing designer jeans aka Tru religions with everything) are all things associated with Chicago gangs/culture..being a "Savage" is what these young kids these days want to be like. I mean, here's a 14 year old kid from Memphis who claims he's "bout that life."
http://youtu.be/yeduO_7iAhg

http://youtu.be/NaHOYKmliEA
Not to mention there are GD's present all over the country from Boston, Ny, Florida, all the way to Colorado, and Texas. They're just not as well known/popular like the Bloods and Crips.

OT - Chicago has been a gangster city since the days of Al Capone and The MOB. The city's high crime and murder rate had been overlooked for years up until recently but due to social media and Chief Keefs rise to fame back in 2012, has really put Chicago in the spotlight in terms of gang culture/lifestyle which is something I'm not proud of, but to deny it (Chicagos) influence on todays young generation is delusional.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:30 AM

Drill music lol,Drill seems like it's emulating Atlanta Trap scene.
Kids in Chicago running around with dreads rapping like Waka flocka ( Black Eye )

The biggest rappers in hip hop like Lil wayne & Jeezy claim California gangs,Even R&B poster boy Chris Brown!! Chief keef is nowhere near bigger than guys who are Blood affiliates like Young thug & Yg. And i believe the labels have dropped Keef now.

Chicago got some shine for the past few years and forgot how things have been for decades.There are no Hispanic or Black gangs in California growing dreads & rapping like they're from Atlanta smh.

Look at all those battle rappers from New Jersey & New York representing Cali sets,From Gucci mane to Dipset to T.i,Majority of rappers & places represent the California gang culture over Chicago.

Just on estimation alone,Southern California by itself probably has more Gangs & Gang members than the entire state of Illinois.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:29 AM

35 posts, read 51,058 times
Quote:
Drill music lol,Drill seems like it's emulating Atlanta Trap scene.
Kids in Chicago running around with dreads rapping like Waka flocka ( Black Eye )

The biggest rappers in hip hop like Lil wayne & Jeezy claim California gangs,Even R&B poster boy Chris Brown!! Chief keef is nowhere near bigger than guys who are Blood affiliates like Young thug & Yg. And i believe the labels have dropped Keef now.

Chicago got some shine for the past few years and forgot how things have been for decades.There are no Hispanic or Black gangs in California growing dreads & rapping like they're from Atlanta smh.

Look at all those battle rappers from New Jersey & New York representing Cali sets,From Gucci mane to Dipset to T.i,Majority of rappers & places represent the California gang culture over Chicago.

Just on estimation alone,Southern California by itself probably has more Gangs & Gang members than the entire state of Illinois.
Lord where are you getting this info? .. First off Drill and trap are 2 different genres. Sonically drill is darker and the subject matter is different. And Lil Wayne and Chris Brown are nobody's bloods or crips lmfao.. Wayne is part of a set originally made in His hometown of N.O and Chris Brown is a poser... any rapper that's not from LA sans Waka Flocka is a blood or involved In gangs from Cali stop itx5. Affiliated maybe but this is all besides the point..plus none of them are relevant or have any influence of gang culture today..

Like what are you even arguing at this point..that rappers that are bigger than chief keef are bloods or crips..that's not true and even if it was so what. doesn't refute what I posted earlier...today's gang culture, especially BLACK gang culture is heavily influenced by gangs from Chicago. Slang like Thot, opp etc are now mainstream. Local rappers from nyc, dc, Miami are now starting to make drill music. No bloods, crips or any Cali gang for that matter, is seeing their own respective culture being copied or emulated to that level of influence especially not today. You'd have to go at least 10-15 years back.

Last edited by Jaded_Raven; 01-14-2016 at 03:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City