Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:20 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Never said any of that, you misread my reply. I even said DC is cosmopolitan, however I did make a distinction that its not as cosmopolitan as NY, LA, or MIA and I stand firmly by that. Having lived in MIA and DC I see multiracial couples much more in MIA, its at the point where there are plenty of 2nd generation multiracial folks there. I am not talking of something resembling a French and English when I say multiracial I am speaking of such things as Polish and Argentinian when I speak of multiracial.

BTW what does your 'global cities' list have to do with immigration/diverse/international/cosmopolitan? No one doubts DC as a global city, or diverse city, or international city, but its fairly new at being cosmopolitan.

So having the most mixed race couples defines a city being cosmopolitan? And lets put an actual date on it since your so sure, what year did Miami become cosmopolitan and what year did DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 10:25 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I don't think the African Pop here is lower, The list just shows Foreign born population. There are many many generation of African born here. They marry other Africans and look and sound like other Africans but they are just not counted because they were born here and thus included under regular African American.

Of the 3 Houston's population of people who claim Nigerian (or what ever) as their ethnicity is much larger than the other two. I have met third and 4th gen Nigerians here who still say they are Nigerian.

For me, if they can still make that good Nigerian food, I don't care what the Census says they are Nigerian to me. If they can't cook, they are disqualified
This is due to the oil industry huh?

Old 05-15-2012, 10:27 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well I don't think its unreasonable to suggest that if a city like New York has only 2,000 more of whatever than a city like Miami ,then its obvious the total will be much higher.Of course there will always be exceptions like Texas having more Hispanics than New Hampshire.
Thats all well and good, but how would we measure it? Take the number of immigrants by the total population?

Im just curious. Im not disagreeing with you.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:42 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Yes. It seems to be a mixed bag in regards to the NYC outmigration into PA. The Allentown /Bethlehem region I believe saw the largest increase in crime in the usa a few years ago. The area has become somewhat of a destination for ex-Nyers/North Jerseyites.. Maybe its the disenchanted second + third generation of immigrants who are not thriving in NYC and turning certain parts of PA upside down.
Are you sure they're immigrants causing the crime? That's not the typical culprit usually...

Old 05-15-2012, 12:03 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
This is due to the oil industry huh?
Partly. The Weather here is very similar to that of Nigeria, so its a variety of factors.The long history also has a part. People usually go where they can feel at home easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Like HtownLove said, Nigerians believe there are far more of them in Houston than the numbers say. I remember reading in the chronicle a few years back about an article about Nigerians in Houston and it pointed out that many leaders believed that there was over 300,000 Nigerians in the Houston. I think it's bloated. But I would not be surprised if they are undercounted. Many Nigerians believe Houston actually does have the highest population of Nigerians in the US.

Also, I read another article in the Chronicle that stated that Colombian leaders believe there are over 100,000 of them in the Houston area as well. This was back in 2008. I would attempt to find those articles for you. But I think they've been deleted.
Houston has a lot of Columbians (surprisingly a lot of Venezuelans and Brazilians too) but not that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
The Indian community does have festivals here as well as their own FM radio station (104.9), but I still would have to question how they would come up with the 400k figure. They had to get it from somewhere, but I wonder what method they use.

Not trying to nitpick, I know the Nigerian community in Houston is very large. It just seems like its too easy to throw numbers around and thats in no way specific to the Nigerians in Houston or the Indians in Dallas. Though I do agree "feel" is a factor.
It is easy, that is why I go by feel, and it feels closer to the number given by the Nigerian communty than the 12K the the census gives.

When you walk down the street and one in ten black folks you meet are Nigerian, then 12K from a blk population of over 1M seems like a big undershot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
It is very much the same...they say the Somali population in the state is about 20K, but the Somali community leaders say that the city of Minneapolis along has more like 60K-75K Somalis, much less the state (the bulk are in the Cities but some towns like Owatonna outstate have large #'s as well). I don't know about Nigerians but Somalis are slow to trust the American govt. surveyors who ask personal questions about their livelihood, which is often why the numbers don't reconcile.

I'm not sure how the Census could be THAT off in either case, but somewhere in the middle, perhaps, is a more realistic number. All I know is that I see what seems like a LOT of Somalis in the Twin Cities, and I don't consider 20K to be a "lot"...
yeah about 60-75K seems more reasonable to me.

The Country has way too many Africans to limit it to the foreign born numbers given. I bet NY alone has more Africans than the number stated by the census.

Yeah 20K seems tiny to me especially when there are huge African communities in theses cities.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:19 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Partly. The Weather here is very similar to that of Nigeria, so its a variety of factors.The long history also has a part. People usually go where they can feel at home easily.
Houston has a lot of Columbians (surprisingly a lot of Venezuelans and Brazilians too) but not that much.
I dont know that I would bring the weather into it. If that were the case there would be no Hmongs or Somalis in Minneapolis, no Dominicans or Puerto Ricans in New York, no Mexicans in Chicago and the list goes on and on.

There is obviously something that draws Nigerians to Houston. I would argue the oil ties are a huge part of that. I wouldnt give the weather a second thought.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:36 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I dont know that I would bring the weather into it. If that were the case there would be no Hmongs or Somalis in Minneapolis, no Dominicans or Puerto Ricans in New York, no Mexicans in Chicago and the list goes on and on.

There is obviously something that draws Nigerians to Houston. I would argue the oil ties are a huge part of that. I wouldnt give the weather a second thought.
Well I believe they are given a choice of a few cities and they pick from the list....in other words, the Fed decides what cities these people will be moving to more than they decide -- at least originally. I met one of the people who is in charge of that decision-making process before and this is what he told me.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:41 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The Bay Area is more diverse and more cosmopolitan than Miami.

I'll give you 'international' because Miami has a higher percentage of foreign born but the Bay Area is more foreign born than New York, and the Bay Area's foreign born population is not as dominated by one region as Miami is.
Notice I said 'maybe' SF, I have only been to SF once for less than 2 days and havent been anywhere else in the bay so I cant tell you if it belongs up there or not. Hence I left it as a maybe since I dont know SF to judge it.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:45 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
So having the most mixed race couples defines a city being cosmopolitan? And lets put an actual date on it since your so sure, what year did Miami become cosmopolitan and what year did DC?
How else would you define cosmopolitan which means in essence of the world. Multiracial is the only solution that shows interactions within a city/integration, when we begin seeing Lebanese men and Puerto Rican women starting families together you know that you live in a place that embodies worldly culture IMO. Never said DC isn't cosmopolitan but come on with this, interracial mixing is much less common in DC than it is in Miami by a long shot. However DC is well head of the U.S. and still at the top, certainly ahead of Chicago IMO. Miami has been this way for over 20 years.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:21 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:

It is easy, that is why I go by feel, and it feels closer to the number given by the Nigerian communty than the 12K the the census gives.

When you walk down the street and one in ten black folks you meet are Nigerian, then 12K from a blk population of over 1M seems like a big undershot.

yeah about 60-75K seems more reasonable to me.

The Country has way too many Africans to limit it to the foreign born numbers given. I bet NY alone has more Africans than the number stated by the census.

Yeah 20K seems tiny to me especially when there are huge African communities in theses cities.
I wonder why the Caribbean population seems low in Houston compared to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City