Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 11:44 AM

637 posts, read 1,014,661 times

Advertisements

Given the numbers in the OP, NY MSA should have the most Asians by MSA this year or next year in the whole United States. Once that happens, I think one could safely say that NYC is the Asian capital of the United States, along with being the Black capital, ethnic European capital, and Latin Capital (outside of Mexicans and Central Americans, for now)

NYC is a BEAST!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 01:18 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Given the numbers in the OP, NY MSA should have the most Asians by MSA this year or next year in the whole United States. Once that happens, I think one could safely say that NYC is the Asian capital of the United States, along with being the Black capital, ethnic European capital, and Latin Capital (outside of Mexicans and Central Americans, for now)

NYC is a BEAST!
No, it would still have a smaller percentage than Honolulu, LA and San Francisco/San Jose, even IF it does happen. Id never call NY the black capital. European is too general. Latin, no. That would be Miami and LA.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:25 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,657 times
Are these net migration rates? A city might have 50,000 international migrants arriving in one year, but they might have 25,000 that left, so a net growth of only 25,000.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
No, it would still have a smaller percentage than Honolulu, LA and San Francisco/San Jose, even IF it does happen. Id never call NY the black capital. European is too general. Latin, no. That would be Miami and LA.
Who cares about percentages? If there was an apartment that had 1 Black person living in it, does that automatically mean that its the Black capital of the neighborhood?

In real life, raw numbers count more than percentages. It's just another amazing accolade that New York City and the Tri-State Area has over everyone.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:17 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Are these net migration rates? A city might have 50,000 international migrants arriving in one year, but they might have 25,000 that left, so a net growth of only 25,000.
These are new arrivals into the areas listed. When they come, they have to put an address on the immigration paperwork. Thats where they figure who is going where.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Who cares about percentages? If there was an apartment that had 1 Black person living in it, does that automatically mean that its the Black capital of the neighborhood?

In real life, raw numbers count more than percentages. It's just another amazing accolade that New York City and the Tri-State Area has over everyone.
I dont know about that. I think its situational.

Look at Miami. New York may have more Hispanic people, but New York as a city is far less Latin than Miami is.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I dont know about that. I think its situational.

Look at Miami. New York may have more Hispanic people, but New York as a city is far less Latin than Miami is.
We can agree to disagree here.

There's plenty of Latin flavor that can be found in New York City ALONE. From Washington Heights, to the majority of the Bronx, to Corona, to East Elmhurst, there is PLENTY of Latin feeling in NYC

In terms of Asians, Flushing, Queens is really one of the few places I've felt like I was actually in Asia. Jackson Heights is one of the few urban Indian communities in the country.

Africans can be found all over the Bronx. If you've ever been to the Grand Concourse, you'll know exactly what I mean.

If you can find all that within the city of New York, then it really comes to a no contest of which city in the US most qualifies for center of the world status.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:55 PM

233 posts, read 530,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually as far as percentage, the Bay Area is the most diverse metro region in the country, coincidentally Miami was the most diverse in 2000 but has fallen to 3rd.

Unfortunately for you, Miami's Asian population is far less diverse than either the Hispanic or Black populations of the Bay Area. Its not even close.

At least Miami's Asian population is growing and actually pretty diverse, 0.7% Indian, 0.5% Chinese, 0.3% Filipino, 0.2% Vietnamese, 0.1% Korean, 0.1% Japanese, 0.4% Other Asian), unlike the Bay Area's black population which is declining. SF's black population is not diverse it only has an edge in African born blacks. Miami has African, Caribbean and Latin blacks. Over eighty percent of the Bay Area's Hispanic population is Mexican. Miami's Asian population is small but growing and more diverse than Bay Area's black or Hispanic population. Also on your group of languages I didn't see creole did they lump that into French, because if it did your listing is flawed. I've lived in both places and I believe you haven't, SF has slight edge due to its longer history but its not much ahead of Miami in terms of international vibe, SF is much further ahead in economic importance, urban infrastructure, and education, but SF is an older metro.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
At least Miami's Asian population is growing and actually pretty diverse, 0.7% Indian, 0.5% Chinese, 0.3% Filipino, 0.2% Vietnamese, 0.1% Korean, 0.1% Japanese, 0.4% Other Asian), unlike the Bay Area's black population which is declining. SF's black population is not diverse it only has an edge in African born blacks. Miami has African, Caribbean and Latin blacks. Over eighty percent of the Bay Area's Hispanic population is Mexican. Miami's Asian population is small but growing and more diverse than Bay Area's black or Hispanic population. Also on your group of languages I didn't see creole did they lump that into French, because if it did your listing is flawed. I've lived in both places and I believe you haven't, SF has slight edge due to its longer history but its not much ahead of Miami in terms of international vibe, SF is much further ahead in economic importance, urban infrastructure, and education, but SF is an older metro.
The African population in the Bay Area isnt huge or growing as fast many of its peers, but its a decent enough size. The African growth in Miami is all but stagnant.

To put things in perspective, Columbus, Ohio has a faster growing African community than either.

The Asian population in South Florida really isnt very big, but its not a horribly slow grower either. 4k per year isnt that bad for Asian growth, but its also much slower than many of its peers. What makes it harder for Miamis Asian community to stand out is that it is pretty evenly spread. There isnt a really large precense of one group.

In a way I think the Asians in Miami and the Africans in the Bay Area are comparable communities.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 05-21-2012 at 01:45 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 10:37 PM

233 posts, read 530,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
The African population in the Bay Area isnt huge or growing as fast many of its peers, but its a decent enough size. The African growth in Miami is all but stagnant.

To put things in perspective, Columbus, Ohio has a faster growing African community than either.

The Asian population in South Florida really isnt very big, but its not a horribly slow grower either. 4k per year isnt that bad for Asian growth, but its also much slower than many of its peers. What makes it harder for Miamis Asian community to stand out is that it is pretty evenly spread. There isnt a really large precense of one group.

In a way I think the Asians in Miami and the Africans in the Bay Area are comparable communities.
Bay Area African growth this year was about 1400 to Miami's 800, neither are growing fast and are such as small segment of growth to almost be insignificant in either. Miami still has a much larger black population that is much more diverse than the Bay Area, as well as a larger and much more diverse Hispanic population. I agree with your observation about Asians in Miami and blacks in the Bay Area being similar in scope. The issue I have is that people focus on how Miami's Asian immigration rate lags its peers, but its Asian immigration rate is growing at a faster rate than its peers European, South American, and North American (if excluding Mexico) immigration rates. Miami is greatly outpacing its peers in the South in those three areas and that counts for something.

Last edited by sofla951; 05-21-2012 at 10:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City