Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:12 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find a city that matches NYC in the western hemisphere.. I think Toronto maybe it (I'm watching House Hunters International on HGTV).. Has anyone lived/been to both? How do they compare as far as city life, night life, mass transit(subways,light rails,easy access with no car) ,diversity, opportunity?

Old 05-14-2012, 08:41 PM

484 posts, read 1,286,220 times
New York is in a totally different league from Toronto, and cannot be compared.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:49 PM

77 posts, read 284,490 times
I've lived in Toronto and moved to NYC area. To me they are very different. NYC feels like a real big city while Toronto feels more like a typical American mid-sized city. NYC is just in a totally different league in terms of urban life. Maybe Chicago is a much closer match.

Though I would still say if you wanna live more peacefully with Canadian system, Toronto is probably a better place.

Last edited by JMT; 05-15-2012 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: Comparing North American to non-N.A. cities is not allowed.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:29 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,259 times
I agree with everyone else. I think Toronto matches or is slightly better thanevery other major US city like DC, Philly, Chicago, San Fran etc. NYC is way bigger and way more of everything (including crime though).

Old 05-15-2012, 08:58 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times
oh wow, any Canadian city is close? maybe montreal? (well that reminded me more of new orleans)

Old 05-15-2012, 09:06 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
oh wow, any Canadian city is close? maybe montreal? (well that reminded me more of new orleans)

Montreal is a very active city; not the scale but a great vibe. One of the best in N America IMHO

Old 05-15-2012, 09:08 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fps7028 View Post
I've lived in Toronto and moved to NYC area. To me they are very different. NYC feels like a real big city while Toronto feels more like a typical American mid-sized city. NYC is just in a totally different league in terms of urban life. Maybe Chicago is a much closer match (or London or Paris if you include Europe too).

Though I would still say if you wanna live more peacefully with Canadian system, Toronto is probably a better place.
Agree-- Toronto is somewhere between Chicago and Philadelphia in size, scope and feel. Toronto is probably much more liveable than NYC as well. NYC is great, but it's a beast.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:10 AM

34 posts, read 31,556 times
I don't agree that Toronto merely matches other American cities, city life, night life and mass transit are superior to American cities as is quality of life, as defined by low crime and access to medical care etc. Toronto is a top-tier cultural capital and is built out on a scale that can impress a New Yorker, but make no mistake Yonge St. is like having ONE of Manhattans great avenues. New York has a whole bunch of them. Chicago has the 'magnificent mile'... but that's not a whole avenue.

Regardless, visually Chicago is the only city that really competes with New York. Toronto achieves the highest population that is strictly 'urban', far more than any American city outside of new York. So if it's city living you are looking for maybe it'll do.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:44 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Toronto is the closest in Canada, but no Canadian city is really comparable to New York City. And that's understandable when you consider that the New York City CSA population is almost two-thirds the entire population of Canada.

In the western hemisphere, Mexico City and Sao Paulo might be closest to New York City. But I can't say for sure since I haven't been to those two cities.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:34 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times
Toronto is probably the closest thing to NYC in The US and Canada in terms of urban living, density, diversity, nightlife, glitz, creative vibe, interesting neighbourhoods, hi-rise living, skyscraper construction, mass transit, media concentration etc., and may match or even exceed NYC in some ways (such as skyscraper construction), but NYC is obviously a much bigger city - 3 times the size to be exact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City