Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 6,643 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been looking at the possibility of moving away from Cleveland, and we just learned that our close friends from Michigan will be moving to Louisville later this summer. They recently visited and were shocked at the beauty of the city and at the apparently thriving artistic core within the downtown area. My wife and I, in particular, are heavily into music, art, food, and artistic "culture" in general, so I'm very curious as to how Louisville compares with Cleveland on these fronts:

Music
Art
Food
Diversity
Nightlife
Cost of living

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 10:07 AM

976 posts, read 2,243,872 times
oh come on. the only category in which louisville surpasses cleveland is in boredom and lameness. cleveland is on another level entirely. bad move.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:35 PM

66 posts, read 127,331 times
totally agree with slengel. You may find that it is very charming, and it DOES have nice scenes in various areas. The weather will be nicer (but more humid summers), and it will have smaller, more charming structures. However, there is nothing that can touch the CMA, or orchestra, there is nothing like MOCA, or playhouse square. And Cleveland has one of the best food scenes in the country right now! I dont know about cost of living, but I can't imagine its much different.

And you would have to get used to the southern culture. I moved from Cleveland to Cincinnati from school and I swear I was in the south! Average accents, ideals, and style changes. Not saying for better or for worse, but you are going to have to be prepared to be subjected to it. A lot more than you think; it took me a while to notice the twang, but when I did.. I noticed it. A lot.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:01 PM

747 posts, read 1,232,243 times
Really! Is there a comparison.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:05 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,287,370 times
I've visited Louisville a few times and quite frankly, it doesn't even compare...especially if you value city amenities, entertainment choices, cultural entities etc

I enjoyed myself, but I don't think I would chose to live there. It definitely has a southern feeling to it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanwilde View Post

Music
Art
Food
Diversity
Nightlife
Cost of living
Even trying to give Louisville the benefit of the doubt in any of these categories, I really can't see it. Possibly cost of living, but only by a hair.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:58 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,098,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanscav View Post
totally agree with slengel. You may find that it is very charming, and it DOES have nice scenes in various areas. The weather will be nicer (but more humid summers), and it will have smaller, more charming structures. However, there is nothing that can touch the CMA, or orchestra, there is nothing like MOCA, or playhouse square. And Cleveland has one of the best food scenes in the country right now! I dont know about cost of living, but I can't imagine its much different.

And you would have to get used to the southern culture. I moved from Cleveland to Cincinnati from school and I swear I was in the south! Average accents, ideals, and style changes. Not saying for better or for worse, but you are going to have to be prepared to be subjected to it. A lot more than you think; it took me a while to notice the twang, but when I did.. I noticed it. A lot.
I would take Cleveland over Louisville. Cleveland is a much bigger city and has more to offer in almost every single category.

Last edited by JMT; 05-18-2012 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: This thread is not about Cincinnati.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:11 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,098,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
oh come on. the only category in which louisville surpasses cleveland is in boredom and lameness. cleveland is on another level entirely. bad move.
Agree. Cleveland I find to be very comparable to Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Milwaukee, and Detroit. All great cities with a rich past and rich culture. All four at one time were among the largest cities in the United States and were industrial powerhouses...their legacy survives today in their great cuisine, diversity, and schooling (university-wise).

Old 05-18-2012, 01:40 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,979 times
I prefer Louisville. Cleveland MSA is almost twice as large... and has more big city amenities... and I like it's location closer to Pittsburgh and the Northeast... but Louisville has a more pleasant climate and a much more beautiful cityscape. There is such a treasure trove of historic streets and top-notch architecture in Louisville.

Cityscape of Louisville, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-18-2012, 01:50 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Has anyone considered that maybe the OP needs to leave Cleveland for work/financial reasons? Perhaps putting down Louisville and touting Cleveland's superiority does nothing to help the OP.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:24 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,256,045 times
This really is an unequal comparison. Cleveland is a city of world stature, while Louisville is still developing, trying to make a name for itself ... other than being the home of Churchill Downs! Louisville is a pleasant enough city ... I've visited several times; however, there's no valid comparison between Cleveland & Louisville.
Personally, I prefer Cleveland due to its vast amenities, a picturesque setting, and urban character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City