Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 09:25 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGED View Post
Wow south side Chicago has def got to be one of if not the most dangerous place in america and the world. It's interesting because the south Bronx used to be the most dangerous place in America, but is now one of the safest hoods!
One of the most dangerous places in the world? That's a bit of a stretch. I live on the south side and don't exactly walk around fearing for my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 10:04 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
Wow south side Chicago has def got to be one of if not the most dangerous place in america and the world. It's interesting because the south Bronx used to be the most dangerous place in America, but is now one of the safest hoods!
Try telling that to people in Juarez or Baghdad! I'm not saying that if you're not a gangbanger than everything will be perfectly fine, but being in a gang or associating with them will increase your risk of getting killed by a lot.

mas23

Old 05-28-2012, 05:35 PM

157 posts, read 394,790 times
Alright take that first sentence with a grain of salt. I still do believe it has to be one of the most dangerous places in the world. Go to the slums of countries around the world and you will see the conditions are not much better than some hoods in America. People think that because America has the strongest economy in the world that the hoods in america are not that bad.

I watched law and disorder in Philadelphia with documentarian thoureux and north Philly looks just as bad as the slums in rio brazil or the bombed out parts of Beirut if not worse. I know it was filmed 5 or 6 years ago and new buildings have been built on vacant land but there is still plenty of destroyed parts of north Philly. I also did a document,entry about someone who grew up in west philly and that was no joke either.

In 1990 a black man had a better chance of living to be 50 in angola Africa than Harlem NYC!

So excuse me if I exaggerated a bit.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:55 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
Alright take that first sentence with a grain of salt. I still do believe it has to be one of the most dangerous places in the world. Go to the slums of countries around the world and you will see the conditions are not much better than some hoods in America. People think that because America has the strongest economy in the world that the hoods in america are not that bad.

I watched law and disorder in Philadelphia with documentarian thoureux and north Philly looks just as bad as the slums in rio brazil or the bombed out parts of Beirut if not worse. I know it was filmed 5 or 6 years ago and new buildings have been built on vacant land but there is still plenty of destroyed parts of north Philly. I also did a document,entry about someone who grew up in west philly and that was no joke either.

In 1990 a black man had a better chance of living to be 50 in angola Africa than Harlem NYC!

So excuse me if I exaggerated a bit.
True. Compared to other developed nations, the poor in America generally have a lower quality of life and are comparable to second world countries. Poor neighborhoods in America (the most powerful contry in the world) also tend to be more violent then poor neighborhoods in other developed countries.

mas23

Old 05-28-2012, 08:38 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
The murder rate in Juarez is nearly 10 times that of the worst US cities and Juarez has as more murders than LA, NY, Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Compton, New Orleans, Oakland, and Philadelphia combined.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
The murder rate in Juarez is nearly 10 times that of the worst US cities and Juarez has as more murders than LA, NY, Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Compton, New Orleans, Oakland, and Philadelphia combined.
San Juarez is also the most dangerous place on earth (literally) and some other Mexican cities as well. It's all the drug cartels competing for the huge demand in America. Once the president started cracking down on the cartels the murder rates for cities across Mexico skyrocketed to the moon.

The cartels are involved in building schools, hospitals, homes, and other amenities for Mexico. The government there is the cartel and the cartel is the government. When you're dealing with the unfathomable poverty in the country, the corruption between government and drug lords, and being next to a country that wipes their asses with money and has a big drug habit you're bound to see unfettered violence when the country basically declares war on itself.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:26 PM

Also from 89-93 NYC had more murders than all of the cities you listed combined as well.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:33 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Also from 89-93 NYC had more murders than all of the cities you listed combined as well.
That's impossible as NYC was one of the cities listed. Either way it didn't as in 1992 LA had over 1,000 murders and was half of NYC by itself. Assuming that Chicago and Detroit were the same as now (I would think that they were much worse), then just those three cities would have had more than NY.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:34 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
I wonder how Chicago's south side compares to these places:

10 Most Dangerous Cities in the World in 2011 !!!

Old 05-29-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
That's impossible as NYC was one of the cities listed. Either way it didn't as in 1992 LA had over 1,000 murders and was half of NYC by itself. Assuming that Chicago and Detroit were the same as now (I would think that they were much worse), then just those three cities would have had more than NY.
Yes it is possible. 1990 NYC had about 2200 murders and I'm assuming you were using statistics of the listed cities from 2011 so yeah NYC had more murders than all of those cities(including NYC 2011) combined. New Orleans or racks up about 140 murders a year which is a lot for a city it's size but still all those cities murder stats from 2011 don't equate to NYC body count in 90.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City