Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More diverse/international/cosmopolitan?
SF Bay Area 46 67.65%
South Florida 22 32.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 04:41 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
So Fla by far, all the bay area attracts internationally are asians.

So Fla attracts people from everywhere it is known as a place for international people.
Asians are a really big group though running a pretty diverse cultures.

Also, the Bay Area attracts a decent amount of Mexicans and Central Americans. It also is attractive to Europeans and Latin Americans who want to work at the hub of the startup world--it's actually a lot of Russians and Germans I've met in the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 04:47 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
The Bay Area and Miami are really apples and oranges, whats the point of comparing them?

They are both very international, diverse, and cosmopolitan.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:37 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
The Bay Area and Miami are really apples and oranges, whats the point of comparing them?

They are both very international, diverse, and cosmopolitan.
What's the point comparing any two cities, since no two cities are exactly alike?

Old 05-25-2012, 06:13 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
What's the point comparing any two cities, since no two cities are exactly alike?
There isn't one.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:26 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Although I move to California and think it is the best state, I am going to have to go with South Florida.

But it depends on what you focus on.

South Florida is like a true microcosm of all of Latin America. It really almost does not feel American at all. It has that mixed race feel that is a part of the history of the Latin American countries that Miami and surrounding areas come from. Miami looks and feels like Rio without the mountains.

The Bay Area on the other hand, is one of the most educated and progressive areas in the country with Silicon Valley being a global hub for the tech world. However, I feel the Bay area has a distinctly All-American vibe. Just one that is different than what "All-American" means elsewhere.

A perfect example is the Bay areas musical heritage. While being 40 years ago, the pychedelic music scene that started in SF, was cutting edge for the time, but all its very influences were VERY, VERY American. The Grateful Dead, for example was rooted in folk and American roots music.

I know that may not have anything to do with what people might be talking about. But the Bay Area does have a very distinctly All-American vibe despite being one of the most liberal areas of the country. While Miami, feels straight up like a Latin American city.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:50 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Although I move to California and think it is the best state, I am going to have to go with South Florida.

South Florida is like a true microcosm of all of Latin America. It really almost does not feel American at all. It has that mixed race feel that is a part of the history of the Latin American countries that Miami and surrounding areas come from. Miami looks and feels like Rio without the mountains.

The Bay Area on the other hand, is one of the most educated and progressive areas in the country with Silicon Valley being a global hub for the tech world. However, I feel the Bay area has a distinctly All-American vibe. Just one that is different than what "All-American" means elsewhere.

A perfect example is the Bay areas musical heritage. While being 40 years ago, the pychedelic music scene that started in SF, was cutting edge for the time, but all its very influences were VERY, VERY American. The Grateful Dead, for example was rooted in folk and American roots music.

I know that may not have anything to do with what people might be talking about. But the Bay Area does have a very distinctly All-American vibe despite being one of the most liberal areas of the country. While Miami, feels straight up like a Latin American city.
I hear ya but I found it fascinating that the Bay Area is actually the most atypically American area in the country when it comes to consumer habits.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...t-weirdos.html

The group found that while "no large metropolitan area's consumption patterns exactly mirrored those of the nation as a whole," consumer behaviors in the San Jose area varied the most from the national norms for sports, fitness, hobbies and aspects of home life. The San Francisco area ranked second.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:59 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I hear ya but I found it fascinating that the Bay Area is actually the most atypically American area in the country when it comes to consumer habits.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...t-weirdos.html

The group found that while "no large metropolitan area's consumption patterns exactly mirrored those of the nation as a whole," consumer behaviors in the San Jose area varied the most from the national norms for sports, fitness, hobbies and aspects of home life. The San Francisco area ranked second.
Why be normal?

Don't get me wrong, it's always nice getting some tapenade from A.G. Ferrari, but you can find some crazy awesome crap in 99c stores!

Old 05-25-2012, 07:04 PM

419 posts, read 998,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Unless Asians count twenty times more in the international category, which is what many people in this thread are doing.

What makes Asians more international than Latin people? I don't get it.
Neither are more international than the other, however, South FLA attracts people from Europe, South America, Caribbean, and more of a cultural mix, Bay Area just does not.

Also, So FLA is more known for being international, just go to MIA and see for yourself, Bay Area on the other hand SF has an American city feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

Well Said

Old 05-25-2012, 07:20 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
South FLA attracts people from Europe
Wrong. The Bay Area has a larger population of persons born in Europe than South Florida.

Knowledge is power.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:24 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Wrong. The Bay Area has a larger population of persons born in Europe than South Florida.

Knowledge is power.
Yeah, but how about per capita?

And I'd like to see a country by country stat, because whenever I'm in Miami, there are hot European babes everywhere and lots of rich Euros who have 2nd homes in Miami. I doubt its the same for the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City