Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these states is the hub of black culture in the US?
Texas 15 4.37%
New York 26 7.58%
Georgia 193 56.27%
Mississippi 24 7.00%
Tennessee 2 0.58%
Lousiana 19 5.54%
Illinois 10 2.92%
Alabama 9 2.62%
DC 29 8.45%
California 16 4.66%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 11:53 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I can get with that as well. DC is one of the few places to have a significant pre-Civil War Black population and to remain a popular place for Blacks on through the CRM and beyond.
I dont get how Georgia cannot be but Atlanta can?Why is iy different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 01:09 AM

814 posts, read 1,474,767 times
I don't necessarily believe there is a state that is the hub of black culture but just for fun I will say it is Louisiana.

First off, it has the 2nd highest percentage of Blacks behind Mississippi. Blacks in Louisiana have heavily influenced music. Obviously New Orleans was the birth place of Jazz with musicians like Louis Armstrong. It also influenced Blues. Then there was many who heavily influenced early R&B like Fats Domino (who then became part of Rock and Roll). Fats Domino "was credited with more charted Rock hits than any other classic rock artist except for Elvis Presley" according to Wikipedia. This development of R&B, then heavily influenced Rock and Roll. Little Richards "Tutti Frutti" was even recorded in New Orleans. There were many popular 50s and 60s pop songs like "Mother-In-Law" by Ernie K Doe. Also "Chapel of Love" by the Dixie Cups. Then there is Allen Toussaint who has wrote many famous songs like "Workin in a coalmine". Many of his songs have been covered by people/groups like The O'Jays, Otis Redding, Glen Campbell, Robert Plant, The Rolling Stones, The Who, and Ringo Starr. There have been multiple inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame who were Black. There is also gospel and Mahalia Jackson is considered the Queen of Gospel. There was many who helped develop Funk like The Meters. Then rap/hip hop had a lot of Louisiana people become successful beginning in the late 1990's and the most famous is probably Lil Wayne.

Other non-music related include the first Black governor, P. B. S. Pinchback (just don't look up the history of this). There is Donna Brazile who was the first Black person to direct a major presidential campaign in the 2000 election. There is Lisa P. Jackson who is the current administrator of the EPA. Johnnie Cochran is from Louisiana and is the famous lawyer of O J Simpson and other people. Bill Russell in from Louisiana and is the famous 11 time NBA champion and was one of the first blacks to become a superstar in the NBA. Even Tookie Williams who helped to establish and lead the Crips gang was born in Louisiana, as was the D.C. snipper (which are both a bad history). There is even a black New Orleanian who could become a saint in the Catholic Church.

Louisiana's history does not just revolve around slavery either. There were the prominent free people of color class who were usually well educated and middle class. Plus there is Congo Square in New Orleans where slaves could dance, sing, produce music, and gather together which in most Protestant cities would have been suppressed. Congo Square can be credited for giving New Orleans some of its musical soul and history. There was even suburban type middle-class subdivisions built in the 1950s like Ponchartrain Park of New Orleans which had gulf courses. There is also many HBCU's including Xavier which is a "national leader in placing African American students into medical school as well as first in awarding African Americans baccalaureate degrees in the physical sciences, the biological/life sciences, and physics" according to Wikipedia. Plus Blacks from Louisiana have influenced the famous food and architecture of the state. Plus every year the city of New Orleans host The Essence Music Festival which according to Wikipedia is "the largest event celebrating African American culture and music in the United States" and that spot was chosen for a reason.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:24 AM

151 posts, read 366,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Actually you seem to have some P.R. campaign against Georgia.Although I think Maryland and Virginia and maybe even Tennessee are better examples.However your ignorance about Georgia has lead you to make statements that are totally unfounded.Examples:
Black music like Gospel was created by The Father of Gospel Music Thomas Dorsey of Valdosta Georgia.Ma Rainey the Mother of the Blues of Columbus gave rise to artist like Bessie Smith whom she discovered at a young age who later inspired Billie Holiday.

Georgia gave the world Ray Charles from Albany,the "Architech of Rock and Roll " Little Richard of Macon Georgia who nutured Jimmy Hendrick and also from Macon,Otis Redding and the Allman Brothers.

Over in Augusta the Godfather of Soul James Brown gave inspiration to Prince

Thats just some of the music culture
You asked about Civil Rights other than MLK Jr?You really should read before you open your mouth as an authority on something when you are abviously not.

Lets start with Well before then and work our way up/In Fact lets go back to The Revolutionary War.

oldest African American congregation in America, First African Baptist, which once served as a stop on the Underground Railroad.

George Liele Liele, or Leile, or George Sharp (1750–1820) was an African American and emancipated slave who became the founding pastor of the First African Baptist Church, in Savannah, Georgia (USA). He became the first American missionary, leaving in 1782 for Jamaica; this is thirty years before Adoniram Judson left for Burma. He became the first Baptist missionary in Jamaica.

Sidenote.While we are in the Savannah area let us not forget the importance of the Gullah people who are decendants of African Slaves from West African that have retained the original customs and culture from the ancestors till even today.
Gullah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I dont have time to list every thing for you but here are some quick bullet points.I hope you take this as an education and opportunity to learn and open your mind before you close it.

The Cotton Gin(its creation changed the South and the dichotemy of the Slave Culture)

Carson Inc of Savannah GA.Largest maker of African American hair products.
Products like Majic Shave,Ultr Sheen and Dark and Lovely.

John Wesley Dobbs (1882-1961) the unofficial mayor of Auburn Avenue, John Wesley Dobbs was one of several distinguished African American civic and political leaders who worked to achieve racial equality in segregated Atlanta.
Mattiwilda Dobbs, his fifth daughter, became an acclaimed opera singer.

He was also Maynard Jackson's Grandfather.Maynard Jackson the first black mayor of a major city in the South and of Atlanta.

As far as MLK Jr noty doing much to be remembered in Atlanta was largely why Atlanta is called nby some as a "Black Mecca" today.Atlanta intergrated before it was forced and the mayor at the time(Ivan Allen) was the ONLY Southern mayor to voice support for intergration by testifying for passage of the Civil Rights legislation
in D.C.
Atlanta was leading the South.Why do you think Atlanta has an old black middle class dating back nearly hundred years?Sweet Auburn ring a bell?The "richest Negro street "in America?
How about Alonzo Herndon?The first black Millionaire who founded the first and largest black owned insurance company?

Did You also not know about Leah Justice Sears?he first black woman in America elected statewide as Chief of the State Supreme court of Georgia?
How about Georgia also having 3 out of 7 blacks on its Supreme Court at one time?
What about The State Attorney General ,Thurbert Baker?

Fort Valley State University
Albany State University
Savannah State University

All 3 or public HBCU's.The ,most in any state.Those are only the public ones.Lets not forget Morehouse,CAU,Spelman,Morris Brown and the ITC which all all private.

Georgia also has one of the highest numbers of black business and black millionaires.

I could go on but Im tired.All we should hear from you is an apology.I dont see how you can fake being being as biased as you are.
ok ill give you credit for james brown, little richard,ray charles, etc but let's not act like they didn't take their talent elsewhere. it's not like macon ga (where little richard was from) was some sort of mecca for rock & roll or black music. same goes for augusta, georgia,valdosta,columbus,etc. those were just isolated examples of good musicians who happened to be from there and moved away to make a name for themselves. the difference is,in states like mississippi there was a cultural phenomenon of blues that spread and was embraced by musicians throughout that entire region. the same can be said of louisana and jazz. and of ny and the harlem renaissance. but georgia didn't have any cultural movement resembling that. i'll also give you the gullahs,even though it's borderline south carolina. and everything that you mentioned in savannah was also essentially south carolina,since savannah has more in common with there,than georgia. the black mayor thing is great,but the corruption of his successors like bill campbell,and shirley franklin taints that legacy. its also too bad that auburn ave is so depressing nowadays. lets just face it that either a)the poll is fixed because the moderators from georgia rigged it,or b) people on city-data watch too much real housewives of atlanta and listen to too much rap,becauase right now that's the only black culture atlanta is known for.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:23 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
FALSE. The population of blacks is steady throughout eastern Texas, in both the cities and small towns.

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/x...county_map.jpg

East of I-35 (where most of Texas lives anyway) most counties are 15%+ black.
I stand corrected. I've heard people talk about a couple of towns in Texas with very few blacks but I think that's in the western part. I got to get out to Texas one of these days.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:51 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I don't think anyone forgot anything. Georgia is definitely a major hub for black culture, but what many of us are disagreeing with is it being the hub. Outside of Atlanta, most black folks can't tell you a thing about what's going on/what went on in Georgia.

In all actuality, the topic of the thread doesn't make much sense as it is. Black culture revolves around cities; not whole states. There's no one state that has a solid export of black culture across the board.
I think you're wrong. When I lived in the Midwest in States like Ohio yes that was true because Blacks mostly lived in cities up there and outside the cities was overwhelmingly white but that is not the case in Georgia.

Well over a million Blacks live outside the Atlanta area in Georgia and even in rural small towns. And what makes you think all of these blacks have no talent or culture just because they aren't from the city. I grew up in South West Georgia and it is loaded with Blacks down there even though it is mostly rural with towns of 15,000 to 70,000 or less. Many of the small towns there are majority Black.

This region gave birth to Ray Charles and Otis Redding. And I know black folks down there in church choirs that can sing circles around most professional artist today. And it's not just music. A lot of professional athletes have come from there and Albany State College is a HBCU with a nicer campus than the HBCUs in Atlanta in my opinion.

Then just down the road across State lines is another even better HBCU in FAMU and in the other direction not far away is Tuskegee which has tons of Black historical significance.

In South East Georgia Savannah in many ways has more Black history than Atlanta. Also, many of the artist and other successful Blacks in Atlanta actually were born and raised in other parts of Georgia and just moved there for economic gain.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:24 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Georgia is the clear winner... The percentage of black is nice, but having a higher percentage of black people with money is better... I think people forget over 4 million people live outside of metro Atlanta...

The ten states with the largest African-American markets, in order, are New York ($91 billion), Texas ($72 billion), Georgia ($66 billion), California ($64 billion), Florida ($63 billion), Maryland ($57 billion), Illinois ($46 billion), North Carolina ($44 billion), Virginia ($42 billion), and New Jersey ($36 billion).
So, Black folks are getting some money in NY according to this information. Much it is evident in parts of Queens, Long Island, Westchester/Rockland counties and some urban and suburban areas of the bigger metro areas in Upstate NY. Interesting.......

Old 05-27-2012, 10:06 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I think you're wrong. When I lived in the Midwest in States like Ohio yes that was true because Blacks mostly lived in cities up there and outside the cities was overwhelmingly white but that is not the case in Georgia.

Well over a million Blacks live outside the Atlanta area in Georgia and even in rural small towns.
And more than a million blacks live in Texas outside of Houston and Dallas, but you thought that outside of the major cities they were virtually nonexistent. I'm sure you can see how easily someone might be misinformed.

Quote:
And what makes you think all of these blacks have no talent or culture just because they aren't from the city. I grew up in South West Georgia and it is loaded with Blacks down there even though it is mostly rural with towns of 15,000 to 70,000 or less. Many of the small towns there are majority Black.
I never stated anything that suggested any of this wasn't true. I never said there was no talent in Georgia outside of Atlanta. What I said is that, outside of Atlanta, I doubt that most black folks can tell you what's going on in Georgia.

Quote:
This region gave birth to Ray Charles and Otis Redding. And I know black folks down there in church choirs that can sing circles around most professional artist today. And it's not just music. A lot of professional athletes have come from there and Albany State College is a HBCU with a nicer campus than the HBCUs in Atlanta in my opinion.
You just described pretty much every southern state. And there's really no way to prove nor is there a basis for claiming that Georgia is any more of a talented state than elsewhere.

Quote:
Then just down the road across State lines is another even better HBCU in FAMU and in the other direction not far away is Tuskegee which has tons of Black historical significance.

In South East Georgia Savannah in many ways has more Black history than Atlanta. Also, many of the artist and other successful Blacks in Atlanta actually were born and raised in other parts of Georgia and just moved there for economic gain.
As far as these iconic artists go, keep in mind that the influence for the music they were performing wasn't necessarily based in Georgia. Many of the roots of black music are much further west. Jazz is based in Louisiana, boogie woogie started in Texas, and the blues seem to have vague origins on both sides of the Mississippi. Not to take anything away from Georgia, but all that it can really take full credit for is being the home state of those musicians. Ray Charles was born in Georgia, but was raised in Florida, and a good part of his career was based in other cities like Seattle, Houston, and Los Angeles.

Again, Georgia is A hub, but it is not THE hub, in my opinion. There isn't one, really.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:52 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
I stand corrected my friend North Carolina is 2nd.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:57 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I dont get how Georgia cannot be but Atlanta can?Why is iy different?
Like Nairobi said, Black culture is definitely more city-specific than state-specific.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:10 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dculross View Post
ok ill give you credit for james brown, little richard,ray charles, etc but let's not act like they didn't take their talent elsewhere. it's not like macon ga (where little richard was from) was some sort of mecca for rock & roll or black music. same goes for augusta, georgia,valdosta,columbus,etc. those were just isolated examples of good musicians who happened to be from there and moved away to make a name for themselves. the difference is,in states like mississippi there was a cultural phenomenon of blues that spread and was embraced by musicians throughout that entire region. the same can be said of louisana and jazz. and of ny and the harlem renaissance. but georgia didn't have any cultural movement resembling that. i'll also give you the gullahs,even though it's borderline south carolina. and everything that you mentioned in savannah was also essentially south carolina,since savannah has more in common with there,than georgia. the black mayor thing is great,but the corruption of his successors like bill campbell,and shirley franklin taints that legacy. its also too bad that auburn ave is so depressing nowadays. lets just face it that either a)the poll is fixed because the moderators from georgia rigged it,or b) people on city-data watch too much real housewives of atlanta and listen to too much rap,becauase right now that's the only black culture atlanta is known for.
Yeah you need a small Georgia Black history lesson especially about Atlanta.

Part 1)

You realize MLK is from Atlanta generally most marches and protests by his SCLC were plan and Organized in Atlanta. Even though Atlanta did have conflicts most of the protests and etc didn't happen in Atlanta, that's because Atlanta role was more of the command center than the battlefield. Even SNCC and CORE had a lot involvement in Atlanta because the AUC.

Other Organizations
Atlanta Student Movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
National Student Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Generally Atlanta have played an important part of many Civil right leaders life.
V. Of the Wings of Atalanta. W. E. B. Du Bois
V. Of the Wings of Atalanta. Du Bois, W. E. B. 1903. The Souls of Black Folk

Litany of Atlanta W. E. B. Du Bois
A Litany of Atlanta by W. E. Burghardt Du Bois. James Weldon Johnson, ed. 1922. The Book of American Negro Poetry

The Atlanta Compromise Booker T. Washington
Booker T. Washington Delivers the 1895 Atlanta Compromise Speech

"First Message to the Negroes of the World from Atlanta Prison" Marcus Garvey
Atlanta Prison Letter from Marcus Garvey - Assata Shakur Speaks
Sweet Auburn
Atlanta Walking Tour: Sweet Auburn -- National Geographic's Ultimate City Guides
Sweet Auburn Historic District--Atlanta: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary

Part 2)

But what your posting is generally hilarious, because it's an obvious a hate on Atlanta and Georgia for what ever the reason. I don't believe any state is a hub with in itself, I mean there's no Bahia like Brazil for the USA. but like talk about being outrageous, just housewives of atlanta and rap music are you sure? Thanks to Tyler Perry, BET, Rainbow Forest and etc Atlanta has alot of black films and TV shows. Metro Atlanta is 3rd in blacks with degrees. Technically Georgia is number one in black owned businesses since DC isn't a state.
Georgia second in nation for black-owned businesses *| ajc.com

1. You brought up Atlanta history of black leaders then you turn around and smear that, And the only corrupted mayor was Bill Campbell 1 out of 6, generally Atlanta's black mayors have done find to great especially compare to other cities.

2. Then you talked as if Atlanta didn't have a major Blues, Jazz, R&B and Rock & Roll scene. Atlanta did have locals that stayed and sure people left, people also came. Decatur St, the underground, Auburn and etc were home to bars, Clubs and all kind of juke joints. And I guess since Sweet Auburn isn't like it's hay day it was never important in African American culture bull.
Bessie Smith's Preachin' The Blues
Bessie Smith - Preachin' The Blues
Down in Atlanta, GA, under the viaduct ev'ry day, drinking corn and hollerin' hooray
Pianos playing till the break of day
But as I turned my head, I loudly said, "Preach 'em blues, sing them blues"
They certainly sound good to me
I've been in love for the last six months and ain't done worrying yet
Moan'em blues, holler them blues
Let me convert your soul
'Cause just a little spirit of the blues tonight
Let me tell you, girls, that your man ain't treating you right
Let me tell you I don't mean no wrong
I will learn you something if you listen to this song
I ain't here to try to save your soul, just want to teach you how to save your good jelly roll

Part 3)

Then Savannah is more like SC than GA? um the coast of both states are similar to each other that area of both states are call the low country. They're both different from the rest of both states, but that doesn't change whats in both states. But since you brought up the Mississippi Delta blues and were on this topic it's only right I bring up the Piedmont Blues. In Which Atlanta, Georgia and other southeastern states were apart of.

Piedmont blues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Piedmont Blues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City