Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 08:39 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times

Advertisements

Where are the more tolerant places like places with a equally large presence of both liberals and conservatives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 08:40 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,705 times
Good. Now I know which cities to avoid on my quest to relocate.

-Cheers.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:44 AM

804 posts, read 618,563 times
Gotta love these "progressive / liberal leaning small towns" in America, so small they do not face any social issues faced by real urbanites, no crime, no unemployment and no ghettos.
It's so easy to be a warring liberal in a small, usually affluent and relatively safe, town. Hilarious.
I call this kind "gated community liberals" as opposed to some more affluent "limousine liberals" who, as all true progressives, love all people of all backgrounds, especially their black limo driver and a Spanish maid. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsMike View Post
Hey All,

I've been doing some research here on City-data and I'm trying to compile a list of the most progressive / liberal leaning small towns in the United States. Generally looking for hippie heaven, without too many hippies, haha. I have the list below going so far:

Asheville, NC
Carrboro, NC
Boone, North Carolina?
Burlington, VT
Ann Arbor, MI
Northampton, MA? Amherst, MA?
Taos, NM
Ithaca, NY
Boulder, CO
Nederland, CO
Telluride, CO
Flagstaff or Prescott, AZ - not sure if these qualify
Telluride Colorado
Marfa, TX
Santa fe, NM
Oberlin, OH
Yellow Springs, OH
Oak Park, IL
Madison, WI
Saratoga Springs, NY
New Paltz, NY
Annandale-on-Hudson / Rhinebeck, NY
Brattleboro, VT
Minneapolis, MN
Red Hook, NY
Durham, NC?
and anywhere in Oregon, the state...

Are there any towns that are missing or any from this list that should be removed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by risotto11; 01-07-2014 at 11:24 AM..

Old 01-07-2014, 10:54 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
I know that Asheville, North Carolina has its share of conservatives. Lots of fundamentalist Protestant churches there.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Where are the more tolerant places like places with a equally large presence of both liberals and conservatives
Just looked it up
Harris County, TX
49.4 percent for Obama
49.3 percent for Romney

Any other counties beat that?

Old 01-15-2014, 05:40 PM

11 posts, read 15,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poupon View Post
I would second Arcata. A delightful but little known town - or at least it was before Hobart Brown started the first Kinetic Sculpture Race; which has been taken up by a few other cities in recent years ( Baltimore, for one) It's worthwhile to google this event, and also HB, because it will give you a sense of the community that makes up Arcata. Plus it is gobstoppingly gorgeous - a pastoral valley that opens onto the ocean. If you want more rural, check out nearby Petrolia.

Arcata, being somewhat isolated, was always a close knit town. A century ago, a regular event was to prepare Sunday dinner and hike up to the cemetary to feast with one's ancestors. No shuddering gloomy place though - These are the luckiest dead people in th world. Not only are many of their Swedish descendents still living in town, the view as beautiful as anywhere in the world, with so many visitors ( even today, the tradition continues) there's no reason to be gloomy.
I was thinking of Ferndale, not Arcata, but both (neighboring towns) would be good choices.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:46 PM

11 posts, read 15,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Just looked it up
Harris County, TX
49.4 percent for Obama
49.3 percent for Romney

Any other counties beat that?
Waynesville North Carolina has a very close divide. Having lived in towns at both extremes, I like towns with a fairly even split. Why? The natives don't run around thumping their chests and declaring their beliefs as if everyone should, and naturally does, agree. This irritated me even when I lived in communities that vote my way. Besides, I like back and forth discourse a lot more than rants.

We like Waynesville so much, we put an offer on a house there this week. Very welcoming and friendly.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poupon View Post
Waynesville North Carolina has a very close divide. Having lived in towns at both extremes, I like towns with a fairly even split. Why? The natives don't run around thumping their chests and declaring their beliefs as if everyone should, and naturally does, agree. This irritated me even when I lived in communities that vote my way. Besides, I like back and forth discourse a lot more than rants.

We like Waynesville so much, we put an offer on a house there this week. Very welcoming and friendly.
Congratulations, seems like a beautiful town.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:15 AM

12 posts, read 15,631 times
Are there any such places in Alaska? Or even western Canada?

Old 04-04-2014, 12:03 PM

854 posts, read 1,482,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthItinerant View Post
Are there any such places in Alaska? Or even western Canada?
Nelson, BC is supposed to be quite hippie-ish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City