Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 08:10 AM

4 posts, read 44,814 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! Thanks for your responses in advance.

My husband and I are looking for a new place to call home and would love some advice. We are both in our early 20's and have lived in the same area for our entire lives (Amherst/Northampton, MA), with the exception of a few-month stint in Boulder, CO (we loved it there, except it was a bit too highly populated for us). We like our current area/hometown, but feel like the community has too much of a college-town vibe (without much else going on) and we are just ready to go out and find our own utopia. College-towns don't bother us in general, but we want our new place to have other things going for it.

About us: I am about to graduate from college and am a massage therapist. My husband makes his living as an artist.

Our perfect place: We want to be inspired by the outdoors. Mountains, lakes, endless hiking trails, the ocean... All good things! Small city size is perfect. We've been thinking of places like Ashville, NC, Olympia, WA, Santa Cruz, CA... The more inexpensive, the better. We would rather be in an area with a lower cost-of-living than our current area. We would also like to be in a warmer area than our current area (at least not any colder). We are really progressive politically, so an earthy-crunchy place is right up our alley. We would love for the general population to be down-to-earth and to also not have that uber-pretentious, educated, liberal vibe.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 02:19 AM

14 posts, read 51,059 times
Austin seems to be the city you're describing, it literally has all of the qualities you just described. However, the population is growing rapidly.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:18 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The people's champ View Post
Austin seems to be the city you're describing, it literally has all of the qualities you just described. However, the population is growing rapidly.
Boulder is more outdoorsy and progressive than Austin..have known both places very well for years and Boulder is smaller so Austin would be too large for OP, but on the plus side Austin is dirt cheap compared to Boulder CO. I would look at Ashville NC, Manitou Springs CO, Taos NM.

Last edited by Scott5280; 03-19-2013 at 03:29 AM..

Old 03-19-2013, 07:49 AM

93,194 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I would say Ithaca, NY or Ann Arbor MI may work, depending on how strict you are to your criteria.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:12 AM

10 posts, read 35,786 times
This request just screams Asheville, NC. Earthy-crunchy, warmer climate, scenic, not too populated (remember those who post Austin/Portland), & inexpensive.

No ocean though.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:39 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times
Austin and Santa Fe

Old 03-19-2013, 02:29 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,140 times
Nacogdoches the oldest town in Texas and has a lot historic sites all around the city and statues of important people like Stephen F.Austin and Sam Houston and alot of others.
The city have side walk everywhere for you to get to these locations of historic sites.Nacogdoches also have alot of clubs and bars with a university named after Stephen f Austin.
The city downtown have art gallaries and is all red brick streets running through downtown.Nacogdoches has alot of walking/hiking/biking trails everywhere in the city and the city has multiple choice of lakes like lake Nacogdoches and lake Naciniche and lake Sam Rayburn for fishing.

Last edited by dee936; 03-19-2013 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: J

Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
There may be a glut of massage therapists in Asheville. Do you have other job skills?

Old 03-20-2013, 06:55 AM

4 posts, read 44,814 times
Thanks everyone for your posts so far! Asheville is definitely at the top of our list. Anyone who has any insight on Asheville in particular would be wonderful.

creeksitter - Yes, I do have other job skills. But, continuing down my massage therapy path is definitely really important to me! Maybe it would be important to secure a job before moving...

Any other suggestions would be great too!

Old 06-07-2013, 09:40 PM

2 posts, read 20,873 times
hello all! My fiancee and I are in a similar boat as "looking for utopia" but we presently live in the Temescal district of north Oakland, California, and have been for almost 2 years, having moved from Memphis Tennessee and before that Savannah Georgia. The varied culture in in Oaksterdam is beyond comparison, especially due to the transformation of San Francisco in the last 5 years (i.e. yuppies moving into the city employed by tech companies--driving up the cost of living and jacking up the culture of nontraditional and culturally rich/ open minded individuals/ liberals are then moving to the East Bay--thats Oakland/Berkeley). But the cost of living, the density of population, the lack of space..the distance from our families...these factors are undesirable. Sooooo (haha) onward to the next adventure! We also prefer natural settings, preferably small towns (bicycle friendly would be great, did i mention we dont own a car--by choice--?!?) We have been looking at nashville, Tn. But arent sure thats THE place for us, especially after coming from the Left Coast. Anyone have some input on this? Another factor (moreso for me than for her) is how progressive each potential city may be towards the sticky icky, i.e. the chrondo, i.e. trees. Out here I can smoke on the street in broad daylight, and busybodies just go on about their lives, without the SWAT being called. Its GREAT. I am from Springfield Missouri, where like most of the country, a joint is a FELONY. YIKES. that is NO way to live! haha okie dokey, looking forward to yo' responses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City