Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Birmingham Vs. Savannah
Birmingham 28 22.95%
Savannah 94 77.05%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 09:58 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Can't understand why Airbus and Boeing chose Georgia's neighbors when Georgia has a long history as an aerospace manufacturer. Unless, ofcourse those states offered huge economic incentives which is most likely the case.
SC already had a sizable aviation/aerospace cluster in place as well, including two large Boeing 787 suppliers. Here's a brief history of Boeing's choice: Southern Business & Development > Features > Our Take on Boeings South Carolina Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
GOOD Lord MAN. are you serious>> >?? I have family in both, and you were either too drunk on River Street or in Bonaventure Cemetery getting voodoo. Savannah is a tourist city, Birmingham is not even on the map.
But I think that's the point: Savannah is mostly noted for tourism, not for day-to-day livability (not saying it's not livable, but it's not known for that in terms of jobs and its economy). I don't necessarily want to live in all of the places I like to visit.

Quote:
Come on, I mean really you have a lot of rep points, but this dissertation is not going to win you any. Savannah is a stunning city that is world renown. Birmingham???? Nightlife--Savannah, Education-Tie, Neighborhoods SAVANNAH, unbelievable squares designed by James Oglethorpe,, way before Birmingham was even thought of. Jobs-Tie, Shopping Savannah at least has a downtown Marc Jacobs .. Dining, Savannah. Culture, Like I said in a previous post on this very thread, not many cities have the accent Savannah has with the Geechee and Gullah west African culture. Plus Savannah is on the coast with canals, multiple rivers waterways, islands, shall I go on.. Mobile even kills Birmingham in the same respect.
You're being a bit homerish I think. The squares would be points for Savannah when it comes to downtown in particular, but not necessarily for neighborhoods as a whole. Birmingham wins on jobs and shopping as it offers more in that regard. And Birmingham's culinary scene has gotten high marks over the years as well:

Stitt's restaurants were catalyst for booming Birmingham culinary scene - Birmingham Business Journal
Birmingham food & music scene gets nod from Gourmet - Birmingham Business Journal
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/15/tr...anted=all&_r=0
7 Up-and-Coming Food Cities Around the U.S. | Zagat Blog

Everyone knows of Savannah's charms and rightfully so. But not everyone knows what Birmingham has to offer and many are going by outdated stereotypes and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 10:29 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Birmingham has a decent urban neighborhood that abuts the CBD, but outside of that, it's not really much...

Old 11-15-2013, 10:48 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is true also. Savannah could use a Boeing or Airbus like its Southern historic coastal port city peers of Charleston and Mobile have landed.
Where would Boeing or Airbus go in Savannah? Gulfstream already has a lock on available land around the Savannah Airport, and continues to expand. I don't think people outside realize just how HUGE Gulfstream is in Savannah -- and they keep expanding more and more. They have 8,000 employees in Chatham County. They are far and away Savanna's No. 1 corporate presence. No other airline manufacturer is going to come in and try to compete with that.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/savan...-facility.html

Old 11-15-2013, 11:12 PM

Also, while everybody always focuses on the downtown Historic District and the squares and leaves it at that, Savannah has some STUNNING residential neighborhoods that many visitors to the city never see:

THE ISLANDS, particularly Skidaway, Dutch, Isle of Hope, Burnside, Wylly, Whitemarsh, Wilmington, etc.

MULTIPLE HISTORIC DISTRICTS including Thomas Square, Chatham Crescent, Ardsley Park, Gordonston, Baldwin Park, Habersham Village, etc.

SOUTHSIDE SUBDIVISIONS mostly built in the '50s-'70s like Mayfair, Bacon Park, Rose Dhu, Habersham Woods, Fairway Oaks, etc.

Seriously, as wonderful as the Savannah Historic District is, I think it also hurts the city in some regards because many visitors never see the REST of Savannah. It's very much like Orlando, in that people go to Disney World and never even grasp the fact that there's a CITY there beyond the tourist stuff. Savannah has a lot to offer, much more than is to be found within the District.

Last edited by Newsboy; 11-15-2013 at 11:36 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 11:21 PM

367 posts, read 995,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Also, while everybody always focuses on the downtown Historic District and the squares and leaves it at that, Savannah has some STUNNING residential neighborhoods that many visitors to the city never see:

THE ISLANDS, particularly Skidaway, Dutch, Isle of Hope, Burnside, Wylly, Whitemarsh, Wilmington, etc.

MULTIPLE HISTORIC DISTRICTS including Thomas Square, Chatham Crescent, Ardsley Park, Gordonston, Baldwin Park, etc.

SOUTHSIDE SUBDIVISIONS mostly built in the '50s-'70s like Mayfair, Bacon Park, Rose Dhu, Habersham Woods, Fairway Oaks, etc.

Seriously, as wonderful as the Savannah Historic District is, I think it also hurts the city in some regards because many visitors never see the REST of Savannah. It's very much like Orlando, in that people go to Disney World and never even grasp the fact that there's a CITY there beyond the tourist stuff. Savannah has a lot to offer, much more than is to be found within the District.
Really?....any pics

Old 11-15-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
Really?....any pics
Are you doubting me? Just google it.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:40 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Where would Boeing or Airbus go in Savannah? Gulfstream already has a lock on available land around the Savannah Airport, and continues to expand. I don't think people outside realize just how HUGE Gulfstream is in Savannah -- and they keep expanding more and more. They have 8,000 employees in Chatham County. They are far and away Savanna's No. 1 corporate presence. No other airline manufacturer is going to come in and try to compete with that.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/savan...-facility.html
What about the megasite in Pooler?

Old 11-16-2013, 08:52 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Quote:
GOOD Lord MAN. are you serious>> >?? I have family in both, and you were either too drunk on River Street or in Bonaventure Cemetery getting voodoo. Savannah is a tourist city, Birmingham is not even on the map. Come on, I mean really you have a lot of rep points, but this dissertation is not going to win you any. Savannah is a stunning city that is world renown. Birmingham???? Nightlife--Savannah, Education-Tie, Neighborhoods SAVANNAH, unbelievable squares designed by James Oglethorpe,, way before Birmingham was even thought of. Jobs-Tie, Shopping Savannah at least has a downtown Marc Jacobs .. Dining, Savannah. Culture, Like I said in a previous post on this very thread, not many cities have the accent Savannah has with the Geechee and Gullah west African culture. Plus Savannah is on the coast with canals, multiple rivers waterways, islands, shall I go on.. Mobile even kills Birmingham in the same respect.
I already said that Savannah beats Birmingham hands down in terms of historical character. Guess you didn't read that part.

But 18th Century homes and Spanish moss really kind of falls by the wayside once you start to look at other factors. For starters, anybody who claims that Savannah ties Birmingham for jobs and economic opportunity is simply smoking crack. Yeah, there's a big container port in Savannah and, yes, it's a decent banking center. But tourism as your economic bread-and-butter is not exactly a good thing. And if we measure economic vitality by unemployment rate, it's not even close.

While both regions have fairly even household income, Savannah's unemployment rate is roughly two points higher than that of Birmingham's and about a half point higher than the national rate. Birmingham's banking, manufacturing, healthcare, tech, construction, and distribution, just to name a few, pretty much smoke anything that Savannah has to offer. What's more, with the momentum of economic development in the Birmingham region, that gap is poised to widen. In fact, you inadvertently made my point for me with the line, "...way before Birmingham was even thought of." In 140 years, Birmingham has gone from being a wide spot in the road to having a MSA three times larger than that a Savannah. To be sure, we had our struggles from being so dependent on steel, but the metro essentially recreated itself in the early 80s and has enjoyed a surge ever since. As one of my clients in Savannah, the head of a prominent local bank, pointed out to me, "Birmingham's got a lot of momentum going for it. Meanwhile, Savannah has been coasting since the 19th Century." His words, not mine.

And as far as the shopping goes, that's just cherry picking. If I could be bothered with it, I could point out any number of retailers that have stores in Birmingham that don't in Savannah. And while the Beard awards aren't the absolute sine qua non of restaurant ratings, they are as good a benchmark as we've got. Birmingham has perennial Beard Award finalists while Savannah is nowhere on the list. Nightclubs? Birmingham has them by the boxcar. Of Esquire's top bars in America, Birmingham has five while Savannah has a paltry one. And that doesn't even speak to musical venues. From Five Points to Lakeview to WorkPlay to Pepper Place to the budding downtown and midtown areas, venues have pretty much popped up all over.

The rest of your evidence is subjective as hell. I mean, having family from the Low Country, I know all about Geechee and Gullah, but that isn't the same thing as having a distinctive cultural life. Okay, you have the geographical accident of a coastline while we have a geographical accident of graceful hills, lakes, and woods. Heck, while Oglethorpe designed Savannah's parks, Olmstead designed Birmingham's. It's one of those subjective things that just is an unwinnable argument.

Mind you, I'm not really knocking Savannah. Made a number of friends there. My wife and I are planning a weekend trip down that way soon. It's a nice town with lots to do for a place its size. But its metro is roughly a third the size of Birmingham's, which means its offerings just aren't in the same league.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:40 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I already said that Savannah beats Birmingham hands down in terms of historical character. Guess you didn't read that part.

But 18th Century homes and Spanish moss really kind of falls by the wayside once you start to look at other factors. For starters, anybody who claims that Savannah ties Birmingham for jobs and economic opportunity is simply smoking crack. Yeah, there's a big container port in Savannah and, yes, it's a decent banking center. But tourism as your economic bread-and-butter is not exactly a good thing. And if we measure economic vitality by unemployment rate, it's not even close.

While both regions have fairly even household income, Savannah's unemployment rate is roughly two points higher than that of Birmingham's and about a half point higher than the national rate. Birmingham's banking, manufacturing, healthcare, tech, construction, and distribution, just to name a few, pretty much smoke anything that Savannah has to offer. What's more, with the momentum of economic development in the Birmingham region, that gap is poised to widen. In fact, you inadvertently made my point for me with the line, "...way before Birmingham was even thought of." In 140 years, Birmingham has gone from being a wide spot in the road to having a MSA three times larger than that a Savannah. To be sure, we had our struggles from being so dependent on steel, but the metro essentially recreated itself in the early 80s and has enjoyed a surge ever since. As one of my clients in Savannah, the head of a prominent local bank, pointed out to me, "Birmingham's got a lot of momentum going for it. Meanwhile, Savannah has been coasting since the 19th Century." His words, not mine.

And as far as the shopping goes, that's just cherry picking. If I could be bothered with it, I could point out any number of retailers that have stores in Birmingham that don't in Savannah. And while the Beard awards aren't the absolute sine qua non of restaurant ratings, they are as good a benchmark as we've got. Birmingham has perennial Beard Award finalists while Savannah is nowhere on the list. Nightclubs? Birmingham has them by the boxcar. Of Esquire's top bars in America, Birmingham has five while Savannah has a paltry one. And that doesn't even speak to musical venues. From Five Points to Lakeview to WorkPlay to Pepper Place to the budding downtown and midtown areas, venues have pretty much popped up all over.

The rest of your evidence is subjective as hell. I mean, having family from the Low Country, I know all about Geechee and Gullah, but that isn't the same thing as having a distinctive cultural life. Okay, you have the geographical accident of a coastline while we have a geographical accident of graceful hills, lakes, and woods. Heck, while Oglethorpe designed Savannah's parks, Olmstead designed Birmingham's. It's one of those subjective things that just is an unwinnable argument.

Mind you, I'm not really knocking Savannah. Made a number of friends there. My wife and I are planning a weekend trip down that way soon. It's a nice town with lots to do for a place its size. But its metro is roughly a third the size of Birmingham's, which means its offerings just aren't in the same league.
Blah, Blah, Blag, look at the score bro, not even remotely close. Figure that one out.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:47 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Quote:
Blah, Blah, Blag, look at the score bro, not even remotely close. Figure that one out.
Wow. Nice rebuttal. Votes by people who have never visited or never spent significant amounts of time in either city. Face it. Savannah's a quaint, insular, largely tourist town that will remain a quaint, insular, largely tourist town. Hey, I'm not saying that Birmingham is the dimple of the universe, but stating that Savannah is on par with Birmingham as a place to live or work is just downright bizarre.

Last edited by cpg35223; 11-16-2013 at 10:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City