Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 07:06 AM

3,647 posts, read 8,331,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Whoa, I see what you mean. Those are nice homes, and REALLY nice park-space, but I assume there's plenty of gang-violence in this neighborhood? Am I right? GD's, BD's, VL's or P-Stone?
Them CPD's run this hood lol

Nah but really I don't know who claims this block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay718 View Post
I can tell its the hood tho because of the street name lol.
Hahaha! I didn't even notice lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 10:37 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,831,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Yes and no. In many ways the way most of the projects in SF were designed doesn't really match up well with the grid of the rest of the city... It's literally almost as though they occupy a world outside of San Francisco. In the case of Potrero Annex for example, despite how high-density the development is, the hillside landscape its built on could be very aptly described as rural.

Potrero Hill, San Francisco - Google Maps

Compare that to what the neighborhood looks like literally a block above the projects:

Potrero Hill, San Francisco - Google Maps

They don't look like they're in the same city let alone the same 2-block radius.

It's not at all similar to somewhere like New York where the projects blend seamlessly into the urban fabric. Strangely enough the level of isolation of SF's oldest projects is really only matched in Middle America where the projects were built with segregation in mind... in a way SFHA echoes that school of thought much more closely than you'd think possible in a supposedly model "progressive and liberal" city.

That gives it a good view and I like sf names there streets after States.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:40 PM

130 posts, read 291,396 times
North Omaha

Omaha Nebraska Cops Guns Police Gang Unit Hoods Drugs State Troopers K9 - YouTube

Old 11-17-2012, 02:39 PM

14,256 posts, read 27,002,738 times
I like that Spice1 track that was playing in the video.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:46 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,831,826 times
I think California has the best looking ghettos.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:01 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,308,293 times
Id say Compton. This is a typical house in Compton. Looks nice and well kept.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 AM

1,264 posts, read 1,556,907 times
Baltimore, or Philly.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:20 AM

587 posts, read 1,414,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay718 View Post
It doesnt look bad that does not compare to this

623 Bailey St. Camden NJ - Street View, Local Search and Map
You are wrong about that. The difference about the projects in SF and boarded homes in East Coast/Midwest cities is that some of the boarded-up units in the projects in SF are still occupied by poor people who are not homeless squatters. All of the boarded up abandomiums in places like Camden and Baltimore are not occupied housing authority properties like they are in SF. Download the documentary Straight Outta Hunters Point for elaboration. SF's projects have been rated as the worst in the country. People that live in the projects in SF often wait years for simple things, like hallway lights, to be fixed in the projects. Large pools of feces flow from decrepit project buildings in Hunters Point. All of those abandoned buildings in Camden don't have that problem.

http://www.sfbg.com/40/03/news_despair.html

Old 01-20-2013, 02:21 AM

266 posts, read 411,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
You are wrong about that. The difference about the projects in SF and boarded homes in East Coast/Midwest cities is that some of the boarded-up units in the projects in SF are still occupied by poor people who are not homeless squatters. All of the boarded up abandomiums in places like Camden and Baltimore are not occupied housing authority properties like they are in SF. Download the documentary Straight Outta Hunters Point for elaboration. SF's projects have been rated as the worst in the country. People that live in the projects in SF often wait years for simple things, like hallway lights, to be fixed in the projects. Large pools of feces flow from decrepit project buildings in Hunters Point. All of those abandoned buildings in Camden don't have that problem.

San Francisco Bay Guardian News
How do you know that the boarded up homes in SF have people living in them but the midwest/ east coast ones do not. When you see a boarded up home with a nice door on it in Camden or North Philly it usually means it's a crack house but sometimes it may mean someone is still just living there. You really think SF is the only place where people wait a long time for the lights to come on? If Hunters Point is the worst looking projects in SF then SF might win the title for best looking ghett. Their waterfront projects with yards for kids to play in. I'd rather live there then many other projects in the US. I'm sure Seattle or Portland is up there with the best looking ghettos since they don't really seem to have many "bad" areas and don't suffer from much urban decay. I always thought the ghettos in LA and Compton seemed nice. They may have real high crime but a kid living in a one room apartment on the 25th floor of a building in Queens would probably love to have that house and yard.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:05 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,792,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
How do you know that the boarded up homes in SF have people living in them but the midwest/ east coast ones do not. When you see a boarded up home with a nice door on it in Camden or North Philly it usually means it's a crack house but sometimes it may mean someone is still just living there. You really think SF is the only place where people wait a long time for the lights to come on? If Hunters Point is the worst looking projects in SF then SF might win the title for best looking ghett. Their waterfront projects with yards for kids to play in. I'd rather live there then many other projects in the US. I'm sure Seattle or Portland is up there with the best looking ghettos since they don't really seem to have many "bad" areas and don't suffer from much urban decay. I always thought the ghettos in LA and Compton seemed nice. They may have real high crime but a kid living in a one room apartment on the 25th floor of a building in Queens would probably love to have that house and yard.
That's all easy to say when you haven't actually been to said projects in Hunters Point. The city that has public housing that most closely resembles San Francisco's old projects in Hunters Point/Alemany/Sunnydale/Potrero Hill is Miami. A lot of the action in typical Northeastern projects happens inside the project towers... in San Francisco and Miami it all happens outside of them and in their immediate vicinity where outsiders stand a greater chance of actually being targeted.

And the homicide rates for the housing authorities don't lie... San Francisco Housing Authority averaged a homicide rate of well over 50/100,000 just last year despite San Francisco's 3 year run of relatively low O/A homicide rates (below 10/100,000), and 7 years ago during the Big Block/West Mob war SFHA's homicide rate was more like 100+/100,000. NYCHA averages between 15-20/100,000 any given year.

Last edited by Nineties Flava; 01-20-2013 at 10:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City