Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 03:47 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
It's actuallly been debated for a while that Gotham could've been in NJ. There was an illustration from one of the comic books that had the abbreviation "NJ" after Gotham City.
What if Gotham is a gigantic Newark??? Its terrifying because its very very
possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 04:15 PM

99 posts, read 218,451 times
It's clearly NYC.

When you see the bridges getting shut down in the Dark Knight Rises it instantly reminded me of the George Washington bridge.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:43 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amroacje View Post
It's clearly NYC.

When you see the bridges getting shut down in the Dark Knight Rises it instantly reminded me of the George Washington bridge.
But then you see bridges being raised in Batman Begins over a river and lower wackier drive in both batman nbegins and dark knight which is an underground street system that NYC doesnthave but Chicago has.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:16 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,352 times
I'm confused a bit. So we're just focusing on recent movies and stats, as opposed to before? Let's see. . . . First we'll talk about Batman.

Quote:
Writer Bill Finger, on the naming of the city and the reason for changing Batman's locale from New York City to a fictional city said, "Originally I was going to call Gotham City 'Civic City'. Then I tried 'Capital City', then 'Coast City'. Then I flipped through the New York City phone book and spotted the name 'Gotham Jewelers' and said, 'That's it,' Gotham City. We didn't call it New York because we wanted anybody in any city to identify with it."[2]
Link

I don't understand this debate really. You can't just look at a recent movie and setting and just strip something away, just because. Gotham City (in Batman) clearly was New York. To reach a massive audience they created a city (based off New York). Doing this actually allowed people to further expand on the city because 'technically' it's not New York. However it's apparent, even in Batman what vibe Gotham City has. . . as well as which city it wanted to be.

Now let's look at history. . .

Quote:
"Gotham" had long been a well-known nickname for New York City even prior to Batman's 1939 introduction,[3] which explains why "Gotham Jewelers" and many other businesses in New York City have the word "Gotham" in them. The nickname was popularized in the nineteenth century, having been first attached to New York by Washington Irving in the November 11, 1807 edition of his Salmagundi,[4]
Link

Shocker? Gotham city has been a nickname for NY since the 19th Century?!?! Since 1807??

Yeah. No it's not a shocker. Let's not act like NY was always sober and refined like it is today. You can literally look up the word Gotham and New York will show up. Lol no contest.

Metropolis is a different story. I can agree any big American city can claim that city/title but I believe NY, Chicago and Toronto were its true inspirations.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:46 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Chicago was only Gotham in one of Nolan's movies. As opposed to the many it has been in NYC. So you are wrong. Detroit would never be Gotham. There aren't enough ethnicities. The only component is crime. Hasn't this whole thing already been debated ad nauseum in an older post?

When I think of Gotham city I always thought of NYC. Chicago never came to mind. It wasn't even an argument til that little freak Nolan used Chicago for one of the Batman movies. His reasons were because Chicago has alleys. Then every Chicago booster from here to never never land jumped on Nolans idea/bandwagon..It's kind of irritating to say the least. If you are going to be honest with yourself, you know that Gotham is NYC. I never knew this was such a debate.

What does Pittsburgh have to do with Gotham. Someone just mentioned Pitt. I lived in Pitt. Pittsburgh could never be Gotham city. Way too small. The city only has about 300,000 residents. There are blocks in NYC that have more people on them. This is a stupid debate. If you want Gotham to be Madison Wisconsin it would be. It's just one persons opinion.

Gotham was originally NYC. Then they tried to go back and say it was anywhere so that "everyone" could identify with it. That's why there is even a debate. Originally it is NYC. In my mind it will always be NYC. I don't care who thinks it's whatever else because it's just fiction and it doesn't even matter anyway. Everyones entitled to their opinion.

Well.. ok. Thanks for putting so much effort into responding to my 2 sentence comment. I do feel quite special inside. Good thing to know my opinion was incorrect, though.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:08 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
It's actuallly been debated for a while that Gotham could've been in NJ. There was an illustration from one of the comic books that had the abbreviation "NJ" after Gotham City.
Well, yeah, but that's the same time they put Metropolis in Delaware, so let's not get too carried away.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:11 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times
Filmed mostly in Chicago, but clearly suppose to be a fictionalized version of NYC.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Chicago was only Gotham in one of Nolan's movies...It wasn't even an argument til that little freak Nolan used Chicago for one of the Batman movies.

If you've watched them, Nolan uses ferries and bridges that don't bring Chicago to mind at all.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:18 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
If you've watched them, Nolan uses ferries and bridges that don't bring Chicago to mind at all.
Wasn't there am EL like system in the first one that represents chicago's EL? As far as I know there aren't elevated public transportation systems in manhattan........

Old 07-28-2012, 11:24 PM

I wouldn't say it represents Chicago's system, meaning you we're suppose to think it was based in Chicago. It was a monorail looking system with the train being supported from above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City