Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2022, 09:14 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times

Advertisements

Does anybody from Boston actually think DT Boston feels as big as Philly or San Francisco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 09:15 AM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I was specifically referring to 300ft+ buildings.
I know. Boston’s put up an insane amount of buildings that tall in the last 10-15 years.

Quote:
And let's talk about "big claims" like claiming all of Philadelphia is a "rundown tenements".
I’m not defending odurandina, just trying to lightly fact check you as you tear into him. I usually tend to ignore or gloss over his posts because they’re always a bit wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Does anybody from Boston actually think DT Boston feels as big as Philly or San Francisco?
Depends on the age old debate of what constitutes “downtown”. If it’s everything from Kenmore to North Station, then I think it’s comparable to Center City (never been to SF so wouldn’t know). If it’s just PO Square, then no.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 11-23-2022 at 09:30 AM..

Old 11-23-2022, 09:20 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
You know for years you have tried to troll like this and throw out these big lists of buildings and frankly, never once has Boston really actually had more under construction than Philly. Philly still has more 300ft buildings under construction than Boston. It already has a much taller skyline and it stretches out in multiple directions in a way that Boston's doesn't. You go a couple miles in any direction in Boston and it's detached housing with suburban looking siding on them. It's not urban or even city feeling at all.

I mean we have had this conversion a lot of times. If you drew the boundaries evenly, SF would have the highest population than Philly than Boston. By most measures, Philly has the highest population in the greater downtown area. It has the tallest skyline and has easily the largest "inner city" of the three.

IMO SF and Philly do the "in the dense city" views much better than Boston.
Hmm i tried verifying that claim. However, I am not seeing anything to back that up.

OP likes high rises and is mad Boston built 300 150'-350' buildings since 2012. Hes obsessed with Boston not building super talls in every damn parcel. Just gloss over the posts please. I dont know how Seaport could even build a 800' tower even if they wanted to.

Old 11-23-2022, 09:45 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I know. Boston’s put up an insane amount of buildings that tall in the last 10-15 years.

I mean, Philly gained 80k people last decade and Boston gained 60k. Most of the population gains were in the greater downtown area of Philadelphia. The zip codes towards the fringes gentrified more than most places in the US by far.

Lower North Philadelphia:
https://i.imgur.com/zxvetmF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/oyEXA14.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/bn9nbej.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Hmm i tried verifying that claim. However, I am not seeing anything to back that up.
I just have always went off of the skyscraperpage threads for Philly and counted the U/C ones that odurandina posts. It's never been a scientific count lol.

One thing I never really understood about philly was why the low-rise historic buildings were built in more of a trolley-car neighborhood way instead of being closer to downtown: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9526...7i16384!8i8192

I think part of it is that Philly's actual historic real "tenements" (4-10 story walk-ups) all existed closer to the delaware and old city and were mostly tore down during periods of urban renewal.

This part of the city was basically erased off the map

Old 11-23-2022, 10:04 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

OP likes high rises and is mad Boston built 300 150'-350' buildings since 2012. Hes obsessed with Boston not building super talls in every damn parcel. Just gloss over the posts please. I dont know how Seaport could even build a 800' tower even if they wanted to.
The presence of Logan Airport right across the harbor from both Downtown Boston and the Seaport limits how tall buildings can rise there.

Old 11-23-2022, 10:49 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times
Quote:
I think part of it is that Philly's actual historic real "tenements" (4-10 story walk-ups) all existed closer to the delaware and old city and were mostly tore down during periods of urban renewal. This part of the city was basically erased off the map
Yep, that all gave way to Independence Mall and several new, massive buildings facing 5th and 6th Streets, just as Boston tore down its Scollay Square neighborhood to build Government Center. Mid-century urban planning at its hardest to understand 60-70 years later. I suspect few buildings in that photo were residential. So likely not "tenements" but lofts and related 19th century commercial-industrial buildings, including a few by the great Frank Furness. Philadelphia was always a rowhouse city, not many tenements.

Quote:
No way.

Old 11-23-2022, 10:57 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Depends on the age old debate of what constitutes “downtown”. If it’s everything from Kenmore to North Station, then I think it’s comparable to Center City (never been to SF so wouldn’t know). If it’s just PO Square, then no.
I don't think Boston feels small. Certainly looks and feels larger than the proper population would lead you to believe. And the urban "sister" cities directly connected to Boston, like Cambridge, Somerville, and Brookline certainly make it feel bigger.

But I don't think it feels as big as Philly, no matter how you extend the boundaries. Because it's not.

Old 11-23-2022, 11:05 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The presence of Logan Airport right across the harbor from both Downtown Boston and the Seaport limits how tall buildings can rise there.
Yep. And Shadow Laws in areas like the Back Bay and Cambridge Cing prevent anything "big"

Which is good.. i think skyscrapers, while great to look at from afar, create a Gotham/sterile/corporate like feeling in cities.

Its why I prefer Boston/Hoboken/DUMBO to Manhattan, Lincoln Park to Streeterville/The Loop. Etc

**im being super general, so dont say well this neighborhood you mentioned has skyscrapers.**

Old 11-23-2022, 11:09 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
I don't think Boston feels small. Certainly looks and feels larger than the proper population would lead you to believe. And the urban "sister" cities directly connected to Boston, like Cambridge, Somerville, and Brookline certainly make it feel bigger.

But I don't think it feels as big as Philly, no matter how you extend the boundaries. Because it's not.
If Boston had the same administrative land area as Philly its population would be almost identical to within a <100k

The core of Boston is very much on the same level as Philly & SF. The difference stems on when you leave the central core. Philly & SF have more classically urban residential than Bostons Tripple-deckers and at the end of the day it’s a smaller MSA by over a million.

Quote:
I’ve been to Philly & Boston and Bostons feels every bit as large as Philly. While Philly has taller tallest buildings (spires help), Boston has more high-rises. SF has more than both but not so much more where it’s not objectively comparable.

Last edited by Joakim3; 11-23-2022 at 11:25 AM..

Old 11-23-2022, 11:12 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
I’d argue Philly feels more classically urban than SF despite feeling slightly smaller. Boston feels smaller than both but only once you’ve left the immediate core
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City