Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 02:00 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
At the end of the day, it's a good thing for all of America if any American city starts adding jobs and its economy grows. The more jobs that Americans are getting, the better!

Quoted for the truth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 02:02 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,991,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
On a side note so you understand, the only reason I responded to you was because I thought it was funny how upset you were. Doesn't really matter to me what jobs are added where. As long as cranes are in the sky over DC, that's all I care about. Jobs in the suburbs for people to live in low density cul de sacs doesn't make me happy. I want to see urban canyons.
Really outside of the bloated regulation I dont care. I do however know that most states do and it does affect the way people live. It's a very pathetic way to boom, especially when the rest of the country is down. Denying that would make a person a liar.

Just to be clear, I meant every word of it. I do think DC would be better off if the government size was more comparable to Ottawa and I think most Americans would agree. I know they would, what's Congress' approval rating? 11%? Lowest recorded in American history.
Quote:
So who get's corporations to come to Northern Virginia?
Whose economy does it benefit?

Who works there?

People of the DC area. DC people, Marylanders, and Virginians alike. You're off your rockers son if you think everyone working at Northrop is only from Virginia.
Quote:
And, where his this person's office located?
The people that do the presentations live in the DC area. The man that approves the state legislation for the headquarter move is in Richmond and his role outside of that is completely irrelevant.

Federal grants are given to companies that fish to do as they please and those companies were in the DC area. They decided to use the money to bait incentives not the governor of Virginia.
Quote:
And no, it's not in the Virginia state government's interest to bring business to Richmond because the workforce is in Northern Virginia.
Of course its not. Who would ever move a company like Hilton Worldwide or Northrop Gruman to a small town?
Quote:
For the Virginia state government located in Richmond Virginia, that would be Arlington and Fairfax County Virginia. For Annapolis Maryland, that would be Montgomery County Maryland.
I don't think you understand how tax incentives work. The federal government collects in taxes. They distribute to the states. Who then distribute to firms across the state to do as they please. It has nothing to do with Richmond. The governor only takes the credit for creating jobs, which he didn't even directly do.

DC was in the bay just last year trying to fish for our companies. LOL

Old 08-31-2012, 02:16 PM

130 posts, read 166,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
These are metropolitan stats, not city stats. I would be surprised if Detroit proper has much to do with these numbers.

Metro Detroit is a fairly healthy and prosperous region. It isn't really poorer or more decayed than other regions. The difference is that the city center, which is a small part of the overall metropolitan area, is severely decayed in parts.
I agree. Most of that so-called growth was in the suburbs. Almost all of it is the temporary sugar boost known as pent up demand for autos which is almost completely satisfied.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:58 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Really outside of the bloated regulation I dont care. I do however know that most states do and it does affect the way people live. It's a very pathetic way to boom, especially when the rest of the country is down. Denying that would make a person a liar.

Just to be clear, I meant every word of it. I do think DC would be better off if the government size was more comparable to Ottawa and I think most Americans would agree. I know they would, what's Congress' approval rating? 11%? Lowest recorded in American history.

Whose economy does it benefit?

Who works there?

People of the DC area. DC people, Marylanders, and Virginians alike. You're off your rockers son if you think everyone working at Northrop is only from Virginia.

The people that do the presentations live in the DC area. The man that approves the state legislation for the headquarter move is in Richmond and his role outside of that is completely irrelevant.

Federal grants are given to companies that fish to do as they please and those companies were in the DC area. They decided to use the money to bait incentives not the governor of Virginia.

Of course its not. Who would ever move a company like Hilton Worldwide or Northrop Gruman to a small town?

I don't think you understand how tax incentives work. The federal government collects in taxes. They distribute to the states. Who then distribute to firms across the state to do as they please. It has nothing to do with Richmond. The governor only takes the credit for creating jobs, which he didn't even directly do.

DC was in the bay just last year trying to fish for our companies. LOL

Just a little history lesson for you. Maryland and Virginia residents come into DC as free loaders. They work in government jobs that pay no taxes to the District. They drive on our roads and pay no taxes for their upkeep. They basically come in take all they can, and leave. Because our region is so different, you wouldn't understand. Most jobs in DC aren't filled by District residents, they are filled by commuters into the city. DC has enough problems as it is trying to pay for everything from infrastructure to education without having to worry about Maryland and Virginia free loading off the District. O...did I mention we have no representation in congress. Since the country seems to take so much from DC, it's about time we took something back. You all created this burden for the District and it's residents, and then you sat on the side lines through this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDBcPtWu0SY

and this:

But, it's a new day in DC and we couldn't be happier:

Mayor Vincent Gray: D.C. Is No Longer Nation's Murder Capital

Old 08-31-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
But, it's a new day in DC and we couldn't be happier:

Mayor Vincent Gray: D.C. Is No Longer Nation's Murder Capital
Listen bruh,

I'm glad you're enjoying your city now. That's great. 14 days ago I spent about 3 days in DC and I enjoyed it too. Thought it was a great city, a bit boring, but great anyway. I also think its great you folks planned for a tech industry that's booming along with a slew of other things to keep you economy going with all these government inadequacies. I dont mind paying taxes, I would love to pay even more, if it meant that it goes to our schools, roads, and healthcare and not elsewhere. My state like several others really could use a break. That's my gripe about DC, its a place that fuels itself from us and its got some of the biggest boosters online insensitively parading about how great their city is, just look at Mr. Boombastic from the other thread, he's just one example of that. Dude acts like he sleeps on Lincoln's lap at the memorial and lives at the Smithsonian.

I just don't think you get my point though. I don't agree with how large DC's government is and how it worked its magic. That's it. Glad you're having a good time in your city, enjoy. YOLO

Old 08-31-2012, 03:57 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Listen bruh,

I'm glad you're enjoying your city now. That's great. 14 days ago I spent about 3 days in DC and I enjoyed it too. Thought it was a great city, a bit boring, but great anyway. I also think its great you folks planned for a tech industry that's booming along with a slew of other things to keep you economy going with all these government inadequacies. I dont mind paying taxes, I would love to pay even more, if it meant that it goes to our schools, roads, and healthcare and not elsewhere. My state like several others really could use a break. That's my gripe about DC, its a place that fuels itself from us and its got some of the biggest boosters online insensitively parading about how great their city is, just look at Mr. Boombastic from the other thread, he's just one example of that. Dude acts like he sleeps on Lincoln's lap at the memorial and lives at the Smithsonian.

I just don't think you get my point though. I don't agree with how large DC's government is and how it worked its magic. That's it. Glad you're having a good time in your city, enjoy. YOLO
I must say, that was nice. Im not for government spending either, but our nation's government has handcuffed the district so much that for centuries, we couldn't excel in much else. They have practically taken ever rite from DC they can thank of and it's sad it's taken this long for the city to see a bright day. We are trying our hardest to pull away from the government as much as possible but they have made it extremely hard. Look at this government imposed height restriction that makes our commercial and residential housing so extremly inflated and expensive. I don't think your leaders in California, Texas, Florida, New York etc. want us to be able to stand on our two feet.

You all won't allow us to raise the height limit so D.C. can be more affordable. You all won't allow us to tax employee's that live outside the district like the other 50 states in America are able to do. We can't vote, we can't do much of anything. I truly believe you all want to make sure we will never have a city separate from the government where private industry can flourish. It's bad enough the government takes up most of D.C.'s land tax free for government office's. I wonder what the real taxable land allotment is for D.C. Why can't you guys just set D.C. free from the shackles you have placed on us. Modern day slavery really!

Old 08-31-2012, 04:03 PM

29 posts, read 59,388 times
Wow pretty surprising news about San Fran. Must be all the tech and .com companies hiring.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I must say, that was nice. Im not for government spending either, but our nation's government has handcuffed the district so much that for centuries, we couldn't excel in much else. They have practically taken ever rite from DC they can thank of and it's sad it's taken this long for the city to see a bright day. We are trying our hardest to pull away from the government as much as possible but they have made it extremely hard. Look at this government imposed height restriction that makes our commercial and residential housing so extremly inflated and expensive. I don't think your leaders in California, Texas, Florida, New York etc. want us to be able to stand on our two feet.

You all won't allow us to raise the height limit so D.C. can be more affordable. You all won't allow us to tax employee's that live outside the district like the other 50 states in America are able to do. We can't vote, we can't do much of anything. I truly believe you all want to make sure we will never have a city separate from the government where private industry can flourish. It's bad enough the government takes up most of D.C.'s land tax free for government office's. I wonder what the real taxable land allotment is for D.C. Why can't you guys just set D.C. free from the shackles you have placed on us. Modern day slavery really!
Sorry you feel that way man.

Don't know what to tell you. Being the nations capital has its good and bad moments, that's something that as residents you guys are used to. I'm sorry that you felt abandoned and that the country left you behind when DC was murder capital but its not anymore. DC is a good city. Its obvious that it has a decent economy outside of the government now and that its moving away from the government like a Paris or Beijing its starting to become more of a city not just a capital. DC's growth now is coming mostly from its economy outside of government, those jobs are being cut down, the growth is from other industries. That's a good thing IMO.

Listen DC has a lot going for it and its going to keep its lead on the next tiers leader city, Boston so it wont be falling out from the 5 but its going to have to structure itself beyond the government. I've seen your threads and it looks like DC's doing just that from a tourism, commercial, tech, education, life science industries. I can root for DC to succeed in those things and I will root for DC to succeed in all of those things but just not the government.

Last edited by scrantiX; 08-31-2012 at 10:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City