Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 10:38 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The stat he's talking about refers to urbanized area population, not MSA: Charlotte urban area was fastest-growing in U.S. from 2000-2010 | CharlotteObserver.com
Ah, well that makes more sense. It still isn't what the poster posted, nor a point they don't want to take too far. While it is true Charlotte had the highest percentage growth between 2000 and 2010 among all UAs, they really shouldn't try to compare themselves to Atlanta in that regard and they were only marginally better than Chicago in raw numbers:

UA Population Growth between 2000 - 2010

Atlanta - +1,015,579
Charlotte - +490,515
Chicago - +300,304

Basically Atlanta added just a little less than the entire Charlotte UA population in 10 years to it's UA. Clearly, contrary to what the poster said, more people "want to live in Atlanta". This is said sort of tongue and cheek though given relocations only make up a small portion of population growth. The bulk of the population growth in Charlotte, Atlanta and pretty much every other metro was due to births.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:01 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Ah, well that makes more sense. It still isn't what the poster posted, nor a point they don't want to take too far. While it is true Charlotte had the highest percentage growth between 2000 and 2010 among all UAs, they really shouldn't try to compare themselves to Atlanta in that regard and they were only marginally better than Chicago in raw numbers:

UA Population Growth between 2000 - 2010

Atlanta - +1,015,579
Charlotte - +490,515
Chicago - +300,304

Basically Atlanta added just a little less than the entire Charlotte UA population in 10 years to it's UA. Clearly, contrary to what the poster said, more people "want to live in Atlanta". This is said sort of tongue and cheek though given relocations only make up a small portion of population growth. The bulk of the population growth in Charlotte, Atlanta and pretty much every other metro was due to births.
If I can accept that more people that live i Atlanta would rather live i San Fran or D.C. then why someone cannot believe people would rather live i Atlanta than Charlotte should clearly be believable.
Its about desirability.
Charlotte obviously is a very desirable place to live for different people.However to the masses overall,its just not compared to Atlanta.\
I would even say its a toss up between people who live i Chicago who want to live in Atlanta or vice versa.
This is why even though Chicago is much bigger,it still heavenly competes with Atlanta for transients than Atlanta would be with Charlotte.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:08 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
This is why even though Chicago is much bigger,it still heavenly competes with Atlanta for transients than Atlanta would be with Charlotte.
I'm not sure about that. Chicago and Atlanta are in two different regions of the country and Chicago isn't attracting a lot of domestic migrants right now. People tend to be drawn to Atlanta for very similar reasons as they are drawn to Charlotte. One thing is for sure, you definitely get more posts here on C-D from people considering Atlanta or Charlotte than Atlanta or Chicago.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure about that. Chicago and Atlanta are in two different regions of the country and Chicago isn't attracting a lot of domestic migrants right now. People tend to be drawn to Atlanta for very similar reasons as they are drawn to Charlotte. One thing is for sure, you definitely get more posts here on C-D from people considering Atlanta or Charlotte than Atlanta or Chicago.
I meant to say,as far as desireability .Is someone in Chicago rather live in Atlanta more than someone who i Atlanta rather live in Chicago?
As are there more people who live in Charlotte actually would rather live in Atlanta(my belief)

Old 09-05-2012, 03:37 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I meant to say,as far as desireability .Is someone in Chicago rather live in Atlanta more than someone who i Atlanta rather live in Chicago?
As are there more people who live in Charlotte actually would rather live in Atlanta(my belief)
I have no clue what you just said here. You mentioned competing for transplants in your previous post. I think Atlanta and Charlotte are more competitors on that front than Atlanta and Chicago.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
I have no clue what you just said here. You mentioned competing for transplants in your previous post. I think Atlanta and Charlotte are more competitors on that front than Atlanta and Chicago.
I mispoke.Im saying I don't agree or disagree on that particular note.I clarified what I meant say.
Refer to post #42

Old 09-05-2012, 06:00 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,890 times
Chicago > Atlanta > Charlotte

Old 09-05-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
There is no comparison between Chicago's suburbs and the other two, IMO. Ever see a John Hughes moviem Ferris Bueller, Sixteen Candles, Home Alone? Quintessential Chicago burbs. The best suburbs of Chicago are located for the most part north and west of the city, and some are Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe. Hinsdale, Oakbrook, and Naperville. The number of Chicago suburbs numbers over 200, and there is a suburb for every type of person, and every ethnicity. Train lines traverse the entire metro area, and transportation is good. The only drawback with the best suburbs is price; according to Trulia the average listing price in Winnetka in the north is 1.7 M, and in Hinsdale in the west 1.5M, way more expensive than anything in either the Atlanta burbs (Sandy Springs @ 475k ) or Charlotte (Myers Park at 885k).

Atlanta's burbs never appealed to me, traffic and kudzu choked. While there are boosters on here, even the close in burbs such as the Decatur area around Emory looked run down, even though desireable. To me, there is a totally different tier going on here, Chicago's middle would be Atlanta's and Charlotte's best.
One other thing:
Did you really mention traffic in Atlanta?Chicago is as worse!And why is it even an issue that house prices are higher?Especially when you have similar grand real estate that are physically the same.
Atlanta has great suburbs also.Suburbs like Peachtree City,Roswell,Vinings,Johns Creek,etc..They are filled with the exact same amenities as Chicagos suburbs.
Public transportation is the only real benefit Chicago has.
The other reason Chicago and Atlanta are closer than Atlanta and Charlotte is quality.
Atlanta has a some of the nations top resturants ,hotels, and nightlife in the country.Charlotte is okay but they are hardly on the radar when it comes to any of these.
Now Im not sayin Atlanta beats Chicago(accept maybe nightlife or tie),but it is a rival that is on par to compete.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:45 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,064 times
Lol no.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:04 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,886 times
My personal opinion wasn't influenced by anyone on the website, it was influenced on the times I visited there. I don't understand why someone makes polls with cities competing against each other when everyone is going to have different views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City