Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 06:29 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exrichmondback2LI View Post
Cute officer, but stay on topic LI or CA with nothing in between, a reality for many people

Jm2c,
Xrich

These threads crack me up

The OP is asking The forum to make a very important decision for her/him and we have so little to base that decision on

How old is the OP? married single? if a spouse, do they work?
Does the OP have kids? Schools? Colleges?
What field is the OP in?
What position is the OP in (entry level,mid level,management,upper management, VP,CEO)
What is the finical situation of the OP? Home owner? Mortgage? Under water? Savings?
How much is the OP making now? Which place would the OP make more money or which place would the OP have the ability to move up and grow with the company?
Does the OP have family or friends in either location?
Is there a relocate package involved?
Incentives to either location?
Has the OP ever been to the west coast?
Do you plan or renting or buying?
What if the move doesn't work out, can the OP transfer?
How big is the company?
How many years do you have invested?

These are the questions to ask.....People's personal views are just that their own preferences.
I like Cali better than NY but is that right for the OP?
Should it really be based on what place I prefer,lol

When making a huge decision like this does it really matter what kind of bagel you prefer or which hockey team going to score more goals

Last edited by BigMike50; 09-14-2012 at 06:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 06:34 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Door 3 could be anywhere you should never be force to move anywhere, especially move across the country. Where's the OP family and friend support going to come from?

Door 3 Is just about leaving more options open crooks. You shouldn't assume anything.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
But the OP isnt asking about other options. His job offers are in LI and Cali. Thats all he asked about. Not Richmond or Charlotte or Houston. LI or Cali, anything else is off topic and irrelevant.

I do agree with your above post however. The OP gave too little info to give any sort of good advice on his question. California is a HUGE state. LA, Santa Barbara, and Monterey are worlds apart.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:40 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
But the OP isnt asking about other options. His job offers are in LI and Cali. Thats all he asked about. Not Richmond or Charlotte or Houston. LI or Cali, anything else is off topic and irrelevant.

I do agree with your above post however. The OP gave too little info to give any sort of good advice on his question. California is a HUGE state. LA, Santa Barbara, and Monterey are worlds apart.

Do you really think you know enough of the OP to make that decision for them
See my questions above and until we have answers then maybe we might be able to offer some assistance on the topic

Old 09-14-2012, 07:13 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
having family nearby cannot be overlooked. They can babysit or just watch the kids once in a while. They can pick them up or run simple errands for you if you're ever stuck at work. They can dog-sit if you ever go on vacation. They are the ones you celebrate birthdays and milestones with.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:20 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
People really think this is for real? Someone who is bored, looking to get everyone into the same argument that will last 10 pages till someone runs to mommy and tattles.
The mods are like teachers at a daycare center with this forum.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:21 AM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
California has The San Francisco Giants, if you are looking for a great team. Their stadium is beautiful , right on the bay with its twinkling lights at night and the players are very fan-friendly.

The weather in coastal central California is really the best on the planet probably, with its low humidity, no snow and not much rain. The temps are in the high sixties in the summer and the fifties in the winter. We never needed an a/c because the ocean was our air-conditioner. You only need to put the heat up on some chillier mornings . I think my electric bill was (unbelievably) once $12.13 !!!

It is beautiful there & the people are wonderful. You can be on the ocean and up in the mountains & redwoods in less than 15 minutes. It is still very rural and there are farms all over. Flowers bloom all year and the maple & fig trees turn a wonderful pinkish orange in the fall... palm trees are mixed in with deciduous trees and it is really always beautiful. There is such a laid-back life style. People are friendly, warm and polite. It is very different from the East coast. It is very clean & people do not throw garbage and cigarette butts on the streets the way they do here in Boston (very disappointing) .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-14-2012 at 07:37 AM..

Old 09-14-2012, 07:52 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
having family nearby cannot be overlooked. They can babysit or just watch the kids once in a while. They can pick them up or run simple errands for you if you're ever stuck at work. They can dog-sit if you ever go on vacation. They are the ones you celebrate birthdays and milestones with.
Sounds more like hired help than family.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:11 AM

496 posts, read 1,251,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesluv View Post
I am moving due to work. I have two opportunity's. One is located in CA and the other is located in LI. I have to make a decision no later then three weeks as of yeaterdays date. Pros about CA -- Beautiful weather , Great people , Very healthy oriented , Clean streets , Lots of diversity , good family oriented community's , Good to Great food , no humidity and beautiful beaches.
The Negatives -- Eath Quakes , Time change, High gas price.

Positive about LI -- Close to the best city in the world, Bagels and NY Islanders.
Negatives--- High taxes , Houses to close to each other , Rude people , Traffic , old out dated homes , bad snow removel , not well dressed people , house prices , bad accents , noisy traffic , people living in garages , no real dervisity , over priced falling house prices. Hopefully your suggestions will help in my choice of a place calling home.
i won't even bother read other responses. i would, not in a million years, suggest living on LI.
The negatives you have listed do not even begin to describe what it is like to live in LI, especially if you are not from here. good luck

Old 09-14-2012, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,274 times
I live on the coast I do not want to say where I live because I posted negatives about other places.I don't want the residents of my community commended about because of the negatives . I am 47 single children grown out on their own are financial independent of myself .(another Neg about LI the kids are unable to leave home due to the col ) I love the beach , late night walks , and a good sport teams aka ( islanders ) a good conversation over a glass of wine while sitting at a out side cafe in Jan ( unable to do this in NY ) is a great way to relax in the evening. I have 2 years of back up savings. I will be moving in proximity of Sacramento California. I have also noticed while reading some of the responses people from Long Island seem biased and talk negative about people
who live down south as if Long Island is a much better place. I hope the additional information I provided will help you assist me it's my decision. I am coming close to making my final decision.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:12 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EX LI AND HAPPY View Post
I live on the coast I do not want to say where I live because I posted negatives about other places.I don't want the residents of my community commended about because of the negatives . I am 47 single children grown out on their own are financial independent of myself .(another Neg about LI the kids are unable to leave home due to the col ) I love the beach , late night walks , and a good sport teams aka ( islanders ) a good conversation over a glass of wine while sitting at a out side cafe in Jan ( unable to do this in NY ) is a great way to relax in the evening. I have 2 years of back up savings. I will be moving in proximity of Sacramento California. I have also noticed while reading some of the responses people from Long Island seem biased and talk negative about people
who live down south as if Long Island is a much better place. I hope the additional information I provided will help you assist me it's my decision. I am coming close to making my final decision.
Sacramento? Hope you like the heat!! Summers are awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City