Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:17 AM

289 posts, read 396,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Chicago averages 38 but is more consistently that much and will stay on the ground longer due to the colder temperatures, making a higher snowpack.
This is something that I've never seen in NYC but do see in Chicago occasionally. If you get the sustained cold for a few weeks with some decent snowfall during that time there are snow banks all over. If this snow stays loose and the wind picks it up it can be downright miserable to walk around. The frozen slop that it turns into isn't that pleasant either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 06:18 AM

29 posts, read 39,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Are you stopping 8 times along the way? Driving a Model T?
Driving at the speed limit, there is no possible way you can go from Chicago to Detroit in four hours, not even with no stops. It's six hours for most folks, most of the time.

Much of the route is 55 mph speed limit anyways, and there's always heavy construction in Michigan, and always heavy congestion in Indiana and Illinois. But even forgetting these three major issues, you can't get there in 4 hours without massively breaking the law.

I know; I've made the trip dozens of times.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:20 AM

13 posts, read 20,831 times
SIX HOURS from Chicago to Detroit? Are you kidding me? I literally just yesterday took a bus from Chicago to Ann Arbor, and that was only 4.5 hours...with a rest stop. And Detroit is only like 40 minutes past Ann Arbor unless you drive like a 90 year old. And that's a bus! Most of my friends from the Chicago area make the Ann Arbor trip in about 3.5 hours, which means Chicago to Detroit in 4 sounds about right. Google Maps estimates 4 hrs 50 min, and most normal people can shave a good amount of time off that. You might have to speed a little to make 4 hours, but I really doubt you would be going much faster than traffic considering how fast most people in Michigan drive. And I'm pretty sure the speed limit is 70 almost the entire way, as it is on most Michigan highways. I couldn't find any solid info on google unfortunately, but here's a street view west of Ann Arbor in Michigan..

Detroit, MI to Chicago, IL - Google Maps

Last edited by dgr415; 09-25-2012 at 08:53 AM..

Old 09-25-2012, 09:45 AM

184 posts, read 571,567 times
Statistically Chicago is colder. Why make a big deal out of it both cities are cold during the winter. Some days are colder in Chicago some days are colder in NY. It really doesn't snow that much in Chicago like it used to except for 2 years ago when that massive snow storm hit us so therefore I think it does snow more in NYC .

Old 09-25-2012, 10:22 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmario_88 View Post
Statistically Chicago is colder. Why make a big deal out of it both cities are cold during the winter. Some days are colder in Chicago some days are colder in NY. It really doesn't snow that much in Chicago like it used to except for 2 years ago when that massive snow storm hit us so therefore I think it does snow more in NYC .
No offense, but your thoughts of it snowing more in NYC is irrelevant. We have over a century of data (which I already posted) to prove Chicago snows more than NYC by about 25%. The past 5 years would prove to be a larger gap.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:27 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
What's next? A debate on how hot Phoenix gets vs El Paso?

Old 09-25-2012, 10:28 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Arbor 02 View Post
Driving at the speed limit, there is no possible way you can go from Chicago to Detroit in four hours, not even with no stops. It's six hours for most folks, most of the time.

Much of the route is 55 mph speed limit anyways, and there's always heavy construction in Michigan, and always heavy congestion in Indiana and Illinois. But even forgetting these three major issues, you can't get there in 4 hours without massively breaking the law.

I know; I've made the trip dozens of times.
According to Mapquest which takes speed limits into consideration, Chicago to Detroit is 4 hours and 9 minutes. If it takes you 6 hours you're not doing something right. Unless you're taking some circuitous route -- which I suspect you are if it takes 6 hours -- Illinois congestion doesn't even enter the equation because you're in Chicago the minute you cross the border.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:30 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
No offense, but your thoughts of it snowing more in NYC is irrelevant. We have over a century of data (which I already posted) to prove Chicago snows more than NYC by about 25%. The past 5 years would prove to be a larger gap.
But NYC gets bigger snowstorms.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:06 PM

11 posts, read 12,206 times
Chicago has colder and snowier winters on average.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:39 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But NYC gets bigger snowstorms.
And that helps the case for NYC
The bigger snowstorms, with a milder climate just doesn't seem relevant, especially when that would actually mean that it snows often less... as I mentioned 12 times a year vs 24 days of recorded snow fall.

I.E. two cities that get 50 inches of snow, and one city usually gets larger snowfall, then it logically must snow less often there as well to reach the same total. This is the case with NYC and Chicago, yet NYC also has a lower total of snow AND gets larger snowstorms, which unless you are rural won't make much difference, and would make the least difference of any american city in NYC because it has the highest # of people who aren't driving in those conditions anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City