Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 12:01 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It takes 6 hours to go from Chicago to Windsor?
Technically it's 5 hours from Chicago to Windsor.

And it's about 7.5 hours from NYC to Niagra Falls.

So technically Chicago is actually significantly closer to Canada than NYC. I actually googled it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 12:03 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,797,741 times
Actually it is Chicago by a landslide. It is both colder and snowier. For snow the long term seasonal median is 33 in Chicago and 27 in New York.

I would think NYC gets some bigger snows than Chicago. But not more snow.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:04 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Last winter was mild all throughout the country. The winter before that was rough.

And IMO Chicago's winters are not that terrible. They're bad but its not like a tundra.
im used to it since i live through winter here.

i dont have a problem with chicagos cold, i have issue with the wind. Once i hit ohio the wind kills me lol.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:10 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
This is true, and while the wind on average per the year isn't that bad, the wind is worse in the winter... and also that is average, the wind speeds are routinely 25-30mph, but then will be still for a few days...

The record windchill for chicago is -57 degrees fahrenheit on Christmas Eve 1983.

You also have day time highs in Chicago that don't break 0.

This is double folded in Chicago, because when the temperature drops very low, that usually means the winds are picking up as a prevailing arctic front is coming in... so 0 degrees is usually accompanied by at least a 15-20 degree wind.

you can see the Chicago area on this map vs the rest of the state.

That and so much of the population is right on an open lake...
yea agreed i can take the cold with no wind.

but the wind just makes my body shake. its a unprovoked Harlem shake.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Actually it is Chicago by a landslide. It is both colder and snowier. For snow the long term seasonal median is 33 in Chicago and 27 in New York.

I would think NYC gets some bigger snows than Chicago. But not more snow.

Chicago is not snowier. Yes it is colder, but not snowier. I don't think it's a landslide, but I don't think it's too close either.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
yea agreed i can take the cold with no wind.

but the wind just makes my body shake. its a unprovoked Harlem shake.

I agree. The cold, even if it's only like 5 degrees with no wind, I can totally handle it. It's the wind that is the doozey. It actually hurts to be outside when it gets windy.

To be honest most of the city doesn't get that windy. It's more by the lake and in downtown. Sometimes walking in downtown in the winter can be terrible as the buildings create monster winds. Same goes for the lake. However when you go further out it's actually not too bad. You will get a slight wind.

This is why I refuse to live so close to the lake! Just too brutal come winter.

Also I believe central illions is worse. I spent a couple of years in Champaign-Urbana, the winters there were hell! Now there was place that was truly windy and you couldn't escape it! It was everywhere. For the first time in my life I wanted to be back in Chicago for winter!

At least in Chicago you could cope by finding lots of things to do in the city. In Champaign-Urbana it was torture.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:17 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,797,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Chicago is not snowier. Yes it is colder, but not snowier. I don't think it's a landslide, but I don't think it's too close either.
Those are the weather bureau numbers for the median snow in Chicago and Central Park NY. How are they wrong?

I lived in a place vastly more snowy than either...Rochester NY. But I have little doubt that Chicago is snowier. NY gets an occasional big one but not the steady small storms.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:20 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
im used to it since i live through winter here.

i dont have a problem with chicagos cold, i have issue with the wind. Once i hit ohio the wind kills me lol.
That wind can be a BEAST at times lol. Even with a big coat and gloves. I also don't like the cold too but I can tolerate it.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:19 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Those are the weather bureau numbers for the median snow in Chicago and Central Park NY. How are they wrong?

I lived in a place vastly more snowy than either...Rochester NY. But I have little doubt that Chicago is snowier. NY gets an occasional big one but not the steady small storms.
NYC doesn't get any snow at all besides the snowstorms. We basically get 2 snowstorms dumping 10-15 inches each bringing the average to like 27 inches, and then no snow for the rest of the winter.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Chicago gets less big snowstorms but more snow.

POR - Daily Snowfall Average and Extreme

vs

POR - Daily Snowfall Average and Extreme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City